Author Topic: Is anyone participating in airbnb ipo at Fidelity?  (Read 1939 times)

frugalor

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Is anyone participating in airbnb ipo at Fidelity?
« on: December 05, 2020, 06:08:43 PM »
I have posted this over at bogelheads: https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=331858&newpost=5640215&view=unread#unread

Does anyone here have 500K+ assets in Fidelity?  Are you able to participate in airbnb ipo at Fidelity?

J Boogie

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Is anyone participating in airbnb ipo at Fidelity?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2020, 09:07:05 AM »
I dunno, they just raised their IPO price by 20%

I'll probably wait until it's had a day or two on the market, could work out like PLTR where it takes a couple weeks to take off.

...And I don't have 500k in my Fidelity account :)

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2020, 09:25:02 AM »
Is AirBNB going to be added to the S&P500 after their IPO?  Should be big enough, right?  Does it meet the profitability requirements?

celerystalks

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2020, 05:40:52 AM »
Why participate in an IPO?

Just buy the shares when they start trading.

JetBlast

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2020, 11:26:19 AM »

Some times the price available in the IPO is significantly lower than when trading actually begins. AirBNB will have huge demand from investors and could be a case of this where the opening bid is far above the price paid by those in the IPO.

celerystalks

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2020, 12:48:20 PM »

Some times the price available in the IPO is significantly lower than when trading actually begins. AirBNB will have huge demand from investors and could be a case of this where the opening bid is far above the price paid by those in the IPO.

Sometimes the anticipated demand fails to materialize.

I view a situation where the price surges higher once trading begins as a failed IPO. It means that the underwriters underestimated the amount of capital that the company could have raised at the initial offering. The company sold itself at too low of a price to the IPO subscribers.

Proletariat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2020, 07:25:27 PM »
I got in as a host and bought the full 200 available shares allocated to me so we’ll see.

JetBlast

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2020, 08:35:38 PM »

I view a situation where the price surges higher once trading begins as a failed IPO. It means that the underwriters underestimated the amount of capital that the company could have raised at the initial offering. The company sold itself at too low of a price to the IPO subscribers.

Yep. Sometimes the demand isn’t there and the stock falls. Could happen here. Or not.

I was simply answering why someone would want in before trading begins.

Papa bear

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2020, 08:39:56 PM »
With the way doordash went, I would imagine Airbnb would be the same. 

Tried to get some family in the fidelity ipo, but the cutoff was last night at midnight.  so a day late and dollar short.  I’m all in vanguard, so I’ve got to wait until secondary market anyway. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2020, 09:35:34 AM »
Sounds like ABNB is supposed to open today at $145 to the public, the IPO was/is $68?  Must be nice to double money like that... still waiting to see the ABNB ticker live though, when does that happen?

des999

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2020, 10:50:03 AM »
wow, is that normal for Fidelity?  I wish I would have saw this post before today.  I have the 500k requirement, not sure I would have guessed it'd open for double the IPO price though ;)

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2020, 11:48:24 AM »
ABNB is now being traded and looks to be up 134% for the day.  Damn.

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
  • Location: A poor and backward Southern state known as minimum wage country
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2020, 10:46:00 AM »

Yep. Sometimes the demand isn’t there and the stock falls. Could happen here. Or not.

I was simply answering why someone would want in before trading begins.

As I recall, that happened to Facebook. IPO in 2012 at around 38 and then fell to around 18 a couple of months later. Of course, we all wish we bought and held at either price, but there was no missed opportunity for the IPO crowd.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!