Author Topic: IRA for the self employed  (Read 1679 times)

Allie

• Handlebar Stache
IRA for the self employed
« on: February 01, 2015, 11:34:45 AM »
I have a questions about IRAs...

I make a small amount through a contracting business.  I'm the one and only employee.  At what point does a SEP IRA make sense?  Should I open a SEP IRA instead of contributing to a Roth IRA if I make less than 5,500 a year?  If the answer is yes, then why? 

I'm trying to expand my knowledge base regarding retirement accounts and investing and really appreciate the feedback!

Retired To Win

• Handlebar Stache
  • making the most of my time and my money
    • Retired To Win
Re: IRA for the self employed
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 04:06:36 PM »
The one great thing about an SEP IRA is that the contributions are not subject to Social Security taxes, like contributions to traditional individual IRAs are.  Add to that the fact that, as your own employer, the combined employer plus employee Social Security bite on your gross revenues is upward of 12%.  And what you get is a situation where, on the same gross revenue, your contribution to an SEP IRA ends up being much larger than on a traditional IRA.  And the limit on how much you can contribute is much higher.

Double check this for yourself on the IRS website.  But, when I had the same question you have, the above is what I concluded.