Author Topic: Investor Alley Stock Trading Game  (Read 44413 times)

Le Dérisoire

• Stubble
Re: Investor Alley Stock Trading Game
« Reply #100 on: August 28, 2013, 09:46:55 AM »
So you power your house entirely through perpetual motion?

Yes, but patent pending for a few reasons which i will try to explain here briefly.

Pics or it didn't happened.

I'm amazed that you single-handedly disproved the laws of thermodynamics. You're a genius. Go work on string theory for the sake of humanity.

Freeyourchains2

« Reply #101 on: August 28, 2013, 02:07:10 PM »
So you power your house entirely through perpetual motion?

Yes, but patent pending for a few reasons which i will try to explain here briefly.

Pics or it didn't happened.

I'm amazed that you single-handedly disproved the laws of thermodynamics. You're a genius. Go work on string theory for the sake of humanity.

Pics in the newspaper didn't really do anything for Alfred Hubbard now did it..(1st pic)

Or Mr. Howard Johnson...(2nd pic)

But another attempt is being made by Wang-ShenHe and many others (3rd pic)

These inventions are all over the place, but only Tesla and a few of his predecessors and modern predecessors whom have studied his references and experiments have found a new form of physics that the world dismissed and supressed in 1902, especially by J.P Morgan. Whose long running company has recently being sued by the Department of Energy for fraudulent electricity rates (a taste of it's greedy history).

But i do laugh at the thought that the Law of Thermodynamics is beyond contestation in the science community.

How is it possible to leave the cave when the community says it's the Law not to go outside?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 02:15:10 PM by Freeyourchains2 »

Freeyourchains2

« Reply #102 on: August 30, 2013, 07:40:18 AM »
Do you all think FB is going to $60 in less than 6 months?

Mobile marketing, plus millions in research for new website products and full steam for monetizing should be reason enough.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #103 on: August 30, 2013, 07:46:41 AM »
No.

Le Dérisoire

• Stubble
« Reply #104 on: August 30, 2013, 11:42:29 AM »
Facebook is a fashion that will last until people find a better way  to express their egomania.

Something will replace facebook like facebook replaced MySpace.

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #105 on: August 31, 2013, 01:31:34 PM »
This is the first time I've added someone to an "Ignore poster" list just to make sure that I don't accidentally give any credibility to their other posts. 

Freeyourchains2

« Reply #106 on: September 06, 2013, 07:41:35 AM »
This is the first time I've added someone to an "Ignore poster" list just to make sure that I don't accidentally give any credibility to their other posts.

Your loss.

In my opinion, you should keep an open mind on your fellow man's voice and mind; for they might be right and lead you to see the light outside of the cave, like MMM is doing for his fellow men and women, and like Tesla did for the world.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 07:46:57 AM by Freeyourchains2 »

Freeyourchains2

« Reply #107 on: September 09, 2013, 08:03:36 AM »
Back to the Game.

Thanks Tesla Motors and Inovio Pharmaceuticals Inc. for bringing me back into the game.

I made some foolish too quick trades a few weeks ago to go from +$1750 down to nearly -$2,000.

But then learned a few lessons about pre share buy back rallies and falls when a buyback price is eventually decided among the owner elites themselves and not really with the market investors.

Now I have come back quickly to all most positive return again.

I normally follow a month to month, 1-3 trades strategy, so i can fully research my stock picks and buy low when undervalued. Then wait a few months or over a year to sell high and take tremendous gains.

Freeyourchains2

« Reply #108 on: September 19, 2013, 08:40:28 AM »
Tesla Motors, FB, and Ino, wow what great returns!! Over these last 2 months!

Some have a 1 YR growth over 100%.

Creativity, Innovation, and no suppression allows wondrous things to occur!

Great Job everyone, you are mostly all beating the index fund average over the last 2 months!
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 08:07:13 AM by Freeyourchains2 »

JamesAt15

• Stubble
« Reply #109 on: September 24, 2013, 07:17:57 PM »
Great Job everyone, you are mostly all beating the index fund average over the last 2 months!

I think you should probably use the "James 15" account as the index fund average, since this is the "lazy portfolio" containing three index funds for US stocks, international stocks, and US Bonds.  Currently it's in 6th place in the rankings - five players ahead of it (obviously), and 16 behind it.

Freeyourchains2

« Reply #110 on: September 25, 2013, 07:33:26 AM »

I think you should probably use the "James 15" account as the index fund average, since this is the "lazy portfolio" containing three index funds for US stocks, international stocks, and US Bonds.  Currently it's in 6th place in the rankings - five players ahead of it (obviously), and 16 behind it.

More Info from these index funds.

Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund Investor Shares Top Holdings

Apple Inc (AAPL)   2.26%   
Exxon Mobil Corporation (XOM)   2.22%   
Johnson & Johnson (JNJ)   1.40%              
General Electric Co (GE)   1.34%              
Chevron Corp (CVX)   1.30%                    
Google, Inc. Class A (GOOG)   1.28%   
Microsoft Corporation (MSFT)   1.28%   
Wells Fargo & Co (WFC)   1.23%   
Procter & Gamble Co (PG)   1.17%   
International Business Machines Corp (IBM)   1.15%   

Apple moved from $402 to $489 (today) within the last 3 months. (21%)

XOM is so giant that it barely budges in stock price in modern day; however it has wonderful dividend growth rates.

Same with J&J! The beauty of both of these is the buy and hold forever strategy, as 3-4 stock splits occurred with company growth and company dividends over the last 30 years.

GE and CVS, Great dividend growth companies.

Google a powerful tech company, buy low, sell high; and they eye up opportunities in tech and engineers and buy them up fast.

MSFT is losing face value, and trying to force too many consumers to subscription based models with their software, and or mandatory forced updates that add more commercials instead of functional performance.

Wells Fargo, 19% return in the last year (to today)

PG, another great dividend growth company with 4 splits in the last 30 years due to tremendous company growth.

Same with IBM, but only two splits.

If these 9 stocks where you portfolio, it would be a strategy of 70% high quality dividend growth companies, and 30% for Capital Gains in long established Tech.

Vanguard Total International Stock Index Fund Investor Top Holdings
Nestle SA (NSRGF)   1.14%   
HSBC Holdings PLC (HBCYF)   1.11%   
Roche Holding AG (RHHVF)   0.91%   
Novartis AG (NVSEF)   0.88%   
Toyota Motor Corp (7203)   0.85%   
Vodafone Group PLC (VODPF)   0.76%   
BP PLC (BPAQF)   0.69%   
Royal Dutch Shell PLC Class A (RYDAF)   0.68%   
GlaxoSmithKline PLC (GLAXF)   0.66%   
Sanofi (SAN)   0.62%   

There are some interesting stocks here.

Vanguard Total Bond Market Index Fund Investor Shares Top Holdings
US Treasury Note 1.75%           0.70%   
US Treasury Bond 6.25%           0.70%   
US Treasury Note 0.375%   0.69%   
US Treasury Note 0.375%   0.63%   
US Treasury Note 0.25%           0.59%   
US Treasury Note 0.25%           0.56%   
US Treasury Note 1.625%   0.56%   
US Treasury Note 0.375%   0.56%   
US Treasury Note 2.125%   0.55%   
US Treasury Note 0.625%   0.54%   

Here's an interesting article from 2010 about Obama and his investments:
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505123_162-41142697/all-the-presidents-money-where-the-obamas-invested-in-2010/

(I am not against passively investing in index funds with very low expense ratios. I just find it more fun to buy low, sell high and do more research on the market for more rewards. Kind of like the knowledge skills and passive/ active work difference between fixing a house to flip a house and renting a house; just with stocks.)

Fun note to add.

"Billionaire Mario Gabelli’s asset manager GAMCO Investors has beaten the S&P 500 by a little over 2% per year since inception in 1986, and his small cap picks have done even better. No wonder the firm now invests over $30 billion. Mario Gabelli, who was named Morningstar’s Fund Manager of the Year in 1997 and The Institutional Investor’s Money Manager of the Year in 2010, is one of a number of investors who have started with value investing founding fathers Graham and Dodd and added their own twist on that long-standing advice. In Mario Gabelli’s case, it is the insight that an investor can approach a public company from the perspective of an acquirer; some businesses may be worth more in the private market than as publicly traded companies, and so a valuation that looks fair in the markets may be very attractive from a buyer’s perspective. This generally results in a focus on cash flow as opposed to earnings. In the 1980s- the height of the leveraged buyout craze- this was a particularly lucrative investment strategy, but as the recent awards demonstrate Gabelli and GAMCO have continued to be good investors."
~ http://www.insidermonkey.com/hedge-fund/gamco+investors/422/#BT9kIodPoCdvhgt8.99
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 07:45:56 AM by Freeyourchains2 »

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #111 on: September 25, 2013, 08:08:50 AM »
Facepalm.

JamesAt15

• Stubble
« Reply #112 on: September 25, 2013, 06:30:44 PM »

JamesAt15

• Stubble
« Reply #113 on: October 07, 2013, 07:23:03 PM »
We're into the home stretch - current game is set to end on Oct 31, so another few weeks.

I look forward to hearing those with the best results explain how they achieved them and the process they went through in making the choices they did.

Cecil

• Bristles
« Reply #114 on: October 24, 2013, 01:37:57 PM »
I'm 3rd with a total value as of today of $13,400.

My process was to bet everything on black (50/50 between GOOG and TSLA), which works well in a paper money game like this one.

JamesAt15

• Stubble
« Reply #115 on: October 24, 2013, 06:27:18 PM »
Aha, I suspected as much! ;)

I'm hoping guys like Rave Oregon will comment - he's done quite a few trades and pretty much all his holdings have shown a reasonable profit. I'm beginning to suspect this guy knows what he is doing.

KingCoin

• Pencil Stache
  • Achieved FI @ 30
« Reply #116 on: October 24, 2013, 10:29:42 PM »
I'm hoping guys like Rave Oregon will comment - he's done quite a few trades and pretty much all his holdings have shown a reasonable profit. I'm beginning to suspect this guy knows what he is doing.

I suspect little. I mean, he's long extremely high beta paper in a rising market. He's certainly had some losers (buying HXM 3.11, selling 2.27, buying ARR 4.31 selling 4.05, buying ANV 5.64 selling 4.42).

Hater gonna hate.

JamesAt15

• Stubble
« Reply #117 on: October 25, 2013, 01:51:50 AM »
Well you've done pretty all right too, KC, so I look forward to your wrap-up! Although I do have a feeling I am not going to follow a significant part of it.

KingCoin

• Pencil Stache
  • Achieved FI @ 30
« Reply #118 on: October 31, 2013, 02:30:41 PM »
I win. I've come to claim my prize! (There's a prize, right?)

Postmortem:
KC Gamboooool   $13,548.98
workwheniwantto mmm   $13,271.17
David nope   $12,791.96
prodarwin nothing   $11,888.30
Rave Oregon   $11,534.27
James 15b   $11,331.53
Anthony Armfield   $11,317.66
James 15   $10,737.71
NumberCruncher LastName   $10,391.16
Matthew Chao   $10,144.80
Micheal C   $10,125.25
casey berrus   $10,056.95
Flynlow aaaaa   $10,030.18
AJDZee   $10,018.93
Roland of Gilead Gunslinger   $9,953.94
hidethedrone LastName   $9,908.54
ShavinItForLater MMM   $9,028.05
Andrew Craig   $8,969.14
Le Derisoire   $8,922.98
late comer   $8,731.89
JPDCPAJD JPDCPA   $8,141.25
Anony Mous   $8,022.00
Freeyourchains 2   $7,946.94
michael pyles   $7,041.06

Average   $10,160.61
S&P 500   $10,899.21

Let's all take a moment to revel in the irony that the guy who claimed a 30% quarterly return was a reasonable goal is down 21%. But what's 51% amongst friends? Better luck next time FYC2.

As much I'd like to chalk up winning to being a professional trader (my real strategy is very low volatility and poorly suited to winning this type of game, though, I'm sure I would have had the highest Sharpe ratio), the reality is that I was mostly just punting around in a highly levered mining concern. I could tell myself I was trading cues from silver and GDX, but I was really just gambling for fun and pretend profit. Once I was in the lead, I just mirrored the "portfolio" of the second place contender to make sure he couldn't gain any ground on me.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 05:04:34 PM by KingCoin »

Undecided

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #119 on: October 31, 2013, 03:26:45 PM »

Let's all take a moment to revel in irony that the guy who claimed a 30% quarterly return was a reasonable goal is down 21%. But what's 51% amongst friends? Better luck next time FYC2.

In fairness, though, didn't he spend most of his time developing a perpetual motion machine or something like that. And besides, you took a 30% return, so IT IS POSSIBLE!!!

Sorry, lost control there.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #120 on: October 31, 2013, 04:44:07 PM »
Only if the laws of physics tax-advantaged accounts don't spoil your plans.

brewer12345

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #121 on: October 31, 2013, 04:53:33 PM »

Let's all take a moment to revel in irony that the guy who claimed a 30% quarterly return was a reasonable goal is down 21%. But what's 51% amongst friends? Better luck next time FYC2.

That is some funny shit!  Where is our mentally unbalanced contest sponsor, anyway?  Surely he/she/it wants to crow about their performance in this little contest.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #122 on: October 31, 2013, 06:39:34 PM »

That is some funny shit!  Where is our mentally unbalanced contest sponsor, anyway?  Surely he/she/it wants to crow about their performance in this little contest.

FYC2 has been banned from these forums for violating the terms of what was letting him stay.

No need to pile on him, but I do think the results speak for themselves.

I do like the Jeopardy style "mirror the 2nd place person" to win strategy :D
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

brewer12345

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #123 on: October 31, 2013, 08:03:42 PM »
I do like the Jeopardy style "mirror the 2nd place person" to win strategy :D

"I don't have to run faster than the bear, I just have to run faster than you."

JamesAt15

• Stubble
« Reply #124 on: November 01, 2013, 07:38:53 AM »
Agreed! That is some pretty clever game play.

So... anyone want to describe how they succeeded at the game by rationally identifying undervalued equities and buying them with a good expectation that they would go up more than the base market increase?

KingCoin

• Pencil Stache
  • Achieved FI @ 30
« Reply #125 on: November 01, 2013, 08:09:28 AM »
So... anyone want to describe how they succeeded at the game by rationally identifying undervalued equities and buying them with a good expectation that they would go up more than the base market increase?

Unfortunately, I trade illiquid fixed income, and believe that the liquid equity market is probably the hardest one in the world to beat. One of my few individual stock positions is in TCX (see my comment from a year ago: https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/investor-alley/stock-ideas/msg53447/#msg53447)
I believed that Ting had the potential to be a massive growth engine but that it was on the radar of almost no analysts. The company was probably fairly valued even if Ting flopped. This is sort of the Peter Lynch school of investing. Find a small, under the radar company whose products are getting hot with a certain segment. This is of course easier said than done, but TCX has rewarded me handsomely. Thanks MMM community!

RaveOregon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #126 on: November 07, 2013, 10:08:30 AM »

I suspect little. I mean, he's long extremely high beta paper in a rising market. He's certainly had some losers (buying HXM 3.11, selling 2.27, buying ARR 4.31 selling 4.05, buying ANV 5.64 selling 4.42).

Hater gonna hate.

I used some value screens I occasionally run to get ideas on stocks that could be undervalued.  For this game I went with the last 10 that popped up. As the game went on and I tried to better position myself  I made trades replacing what I sold with more recent companies that came across my radar from the same screens.

I don't really look at Beta, but I am sure the fact we are playing in a rising market helps us all(and makes it even worse that Jame's lazy portfolio came in 8th of 24 and that 10 finished with less than starting).

As with everyone, I like to think I know what I am doing :P

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!