Author Topic: Investor Alley Stock Trading Game  (Read 44416 times)

Freeyourchains2

Investor Alley Stock Trading Game
« on: July 02, 2013, 11:18:25 AM »
www.marketwatch.com/game/investor-alley

Game Name: Investor Alley

Start Date: 07/08/2013, a Monday.
End Date: 10/31/2013, Halloween in America.

Game Link: www.marketwatch.com/game/investor-alley
Join After Started: Enabled

Tagline: The Investor Alley's Virtual Stock picking game.

Portfolio Options
Starting balance for players:   $10000.00
Commission level:   $5.00
Credit interest rate:   3.00%
Debt interest rate for leverage:   6.00%
Minimum stock price:   $0.50
Maximum stock price:   $500000.00
Trade volume Limitaion:   10.00%
Short Selling   Enabled
Margin Selling:   Disabled
Limit Orders:   Enabled
Stop Loss:   Enabled
Partial Shares   Disabled

*If making your account on stockmarket for the first time, it is highly recommended to Use your MMM Forum name as your "First Name", to keep your privacy, and for us to know who you are from these forums.

Disclaimer: This is a fun virtual trading game for the forums! Mostly for entertainment value on MMM's Investor forums. This is for "testing a hypothesis" that anything is possible. Recommended: Achieving Financial Independence before/or if any "risky" investing of "excess" cash is made from fun hobbies you enjoyed after financial independence.

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible."
Walt Disney, As quoted in Animated Architecture (1982) by Derek Walker, p. 10.

JamesAt15

• Stubble
Re: Investor Alley Stock Trading Game
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 06:59:27 PM »
I may sign up for this to give it a try, but two questions:

Why did you make the end date only a few months away? I suggested in the other thread to put the end date quite a ways off, and we can monitor the progress as we go along.

Edit: Missed the comments about this in the other thread, so disregard. I may respond over there.

Also, where/how are you trading that you pay only $5 in commissions? That may be accurate but it seems low to me.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 07:32:03 PM by JamesAt15 »

JamesAt15

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 02:13:44 AM »
Okay, the game has started so I have two accounts - "James 15" is my three-fund lazy portfolio account.  "James 15b" is my "buy whatever the hell I feel like" account.

I had some trouble with the web interface for trades - it didn't seem to be bringing up the trade popup window when I used Vanguard fund names. I think I have it going now.

It does not look like FYC's account is in the game though - at least, not the same account that created the game. Is one (or more) of the other accounts yours, FYC?

Freeyourchains2

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 07:51:16 AM »
Oh I am in the game. I think it initiates only when you trade for the first time. As i just did.

I will make another long term game that goes on indefinitely after this 3 month game. 
Just sampling the investors here to see who are interested. Most seem interested for an on going game.

Curious, do dividends work in this trading game? I couldn't find any options saying they did or did not.

NumberCruncher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 08:58:29 AM »
Seems like fun  :)

The only time I gamble is with fake money!

prodarwin

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 10:50:15 AM »
I'm in, seems like fun

Freeyourchains2

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 12:49:52 PM »
We all are doing pretty well! Buy low, sell high!

Let's all try to reach and exceed $3,000 each in less then 3 months. For a 30% return in a financial quarter!

NumberCruncher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2013, 01:46:10 PM »
As of this posting, half of us are doing better than the index, half worse (James' lazy three fund portfolio is ranked 4/7)...

pretty much as expected, really.

JamesAt15

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2013, 06:40:13 PM »
My monkeys threw pretty well, too. I think I will have them throw again at about a month after the start. Don't want to tire them out. ;)

Freeyourchains2

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2013, 11:08:55 AM »
As of this posting, half of us are doing better than the index, half worse (James' lazy three fund portfolio is ranked 4/7)...

It'll get a lot more interesting when the index falls again. But that won't happen this quarter, because the fund managers are playing the bull, though the individual stock picking billionaires are starting to sell again gradually.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 11:14:01 AM by Freeyourchains2 »

Undecided

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2013, 12:19:10 PM »

It'll get a lot more interesting when the index falls again. But that won't happen this quarter, because the fund managers are playing the bull, though the individual stock picking billionaires are starting to sell again gradually.

Does the game let you short the index?

RaveOregon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2013, 02:04:10 PM »
You could short an index ETF

thedrone

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2013, 05:23:22 PM »
This sounds like fun!  Joining!

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2013, 07:39:04 PM »

On a risk-adjusted basis, you're probably all doing worse.

workathomedad

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2013, 10:21:40 PM »
BOOM I'm in

JamesAt15

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2013, 11:17:54 PM »
On a risk-adjusted basis, you're probably all doing worse.

Tell me about it. My monkeys nearly goddamn killed me flinging those darts around. That's why no new stock picks for another month. Doctor's orders.

NumberCruncher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2013, 08:39:29 AM »
Oh Geez - dropped from 3rd place to last place in a day.

Yeah, there's a reason I don't do this with actual monies.

RaveOregon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2013, 01:27:23 PM »
Kind of funny that this article is the headline on the marketwatch site right now:

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/buy-and-hold-wins-again-2013-07-19?dist=countdown

Freeyourchains2

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2013, 09:10:56 AM »
Oh Geez - dropped from 3rd place to last place in a day.

Yeah, there's a reason I don't do this with actual monies.

But you can go from 5th place to 1st place in a day. I am curious to see if everyone also "Buys low and sells High". To lock in their gains, and to buy undevalued stocks once again.

Freeyourchains2

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2013, 10:50:43 AM »
Great Job Capital Gain earners and to all participants thus far!

Goal: 10%/Month or 120%/Year or 30% in 3 month period. Some people believe "it's impossible"

The Gainers of the Month are:

M.P (13.4% return)
David Nope (10.3% return)
Freeyourchains2 (9.6% return)
workwheniwanttoo mmm(9.4% return)
James 15b (8.5% return)
Rave Oregon (5% return)
James 15 (2.3% return)
prodarwin nothing (0.9% return)

NumberCruncher (-0.5% return)
M.C. (-0.8% return)

Wasn't that easy? It gets easier the more you practice and the better you get with your skill of trading for gains. Once you make a few million, then you can trade entire businesses directly and buy low and sell high then. (Or buy the business low, and collect that business's dividends tax free forever...what Warren Buffet does.)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 11:36:54 AM by Freeyourchains2 »

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2013, 12:09:11 PM »
It's easy to make 10% in a month where the market moves 8.5%. Not much skill to it at all.

RaveOregon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2013, 02:28:25 PM »
Where are you getting 8.5% from?

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2013, 03:55:52 PM »
Whoops, James 15b is the trading account and James 15 is the index. Still, an entirely passive portfolio of stocks alone would do between 5 and 6 percent (link), an exceptionally good month for the markets. My larger point stands - it was an exceptional month driving most of the returns, not the ease of outsmarting the market.

JamesAt15

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2013, 07:17:13 PM »
The "James 15b" account is the one where I chose stocks semi-randomly*. It was ranking pretty highly for a while there but got overtaken towards the end of the month by several other players. I'll probably sell off and buy a new batch of stocks sometime soon to keep it interesting.

*: I will give away some of my secrets for stock-picking success. (Normally I would charge you guys a couple hundred bucks to attend one of my seminars.) When we started I didn't see a FYC account, but there was the Rave Oregon account with five or six trades already, so I thought it might be the same person. So I looked at the stocks R.O. had bought, clicked on the Profile tab of each, and choose one listed in the "Key Competitors" box on the right. Based largely on the name of the company.

AFLAC I bought because they have all the cool duck commercials (nowadays they are duck-and-cat commercials) here in Japan.

Diana Containerships I bought because Diana, that's like, Wonder Woman, and Lynda Carter was hot, hot, hot back when I was too young to really understand why I was watching that show.

Logitech International I bought because of fond memories of buying one of their flightmaster-type joysticks at their "outlet" style store (kind of like a 99c store at forgotten strip mall vibe) in the SF East Bay that confounded my LAN-party friends with my new, bizarre flight patterns when playing Descent.

Pretium Resources I bought... hell, I don't even remember. I think their name looked slightly more "premium" than the others listed.

And Tesla I bought because of the Bogleheads forum thread about whether or not it was a good idea to buy Tesla. Which makes it sound almost like there was a good reason to buy it, so I must hasten to elaborate - that thread had a number of folks who seemed to think that since the Tesla cars were so damn cool, it would be a good idea to buy stock in the company. My reaction to that was, no, that's not a good reason to buy stock in the company. Therefore, in this game, I bought stock in the company.

Freeyourchains2

« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2013, 08:20:46 AM »
It's easy to make 10% in a month where the market moves 8.5%. Not much skill to it at all.

But to make 120% returns over the course of a year, you'll have to take some "buy low, sell high" action! 120% returns That's something the market never does in a year, but -120% returns is easy for it when it crashes!

So you need some skill of "buying low and selling high" insight! Else your returns will follow the market's swings as they do in funds. Then mostly everyone panics in a market crash and are sometimes financially forced to sell stocks, as most don't have sufficient liquid emergency savings, lose their jobs, and/or will default on their jumbo mortgages.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 12:43:17 PM by Freeyourchains2 »

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2013, 08:26:31 AM »
It's never been demonstrated that skill or insight have anything to do with it, though. That's what started this whole circular discussion.

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2013, 09:18:56 AM »
Is -120% actually possible? I wonder what negative money looks like? Does it behave like matter and anti-matter? Is it anti-money? I thought anti-money was stuff.

KingCoin

• Pencil Stache
  • Achieved FI @ 30
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2013, 01:28:19 PM »
Is -120% actually possible? I wonder what negative money looks like? Does it behave like matter and anti-matter? Is it anti-money? I thought anti-money was stuff.

I guess if you're trading with leverage, and your portfolio drops to -120% before the broker is able to stop you out (perhaps you're invested in one company and it "jumps to default"), you could incur a 20% liability vs your original notional. 

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2013, 01:37:57 PM »
Hmm I didn't consider that. Interesting.

RaveOregon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2013, 03:01:37 PM »
I am not FreeYourChains2.

JamesAt15

• Stubble
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2013, 06:07:59 PM »
Yeah, I figured as much when the FYC2 account made some trades and appeared on the ranking.  :-)

Freeyourchains2

« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2013, 07:50:26 AM »
Why is it so tough to sell high? Is it because we are naturally greedy?

The Market micro swings have been down the last two days, (DOW -1.5% from it's highs). So i will wait until a Market Gain day to sell high.

Match should light up some eWed while we wait and see.
In fact he hasn't joined in this game yet has he?

Just to emphasize, I do enjoy short term trading. I wish the US government would not impede the citizens with such unnecessarily high short term taxes on investors and investments outside of age 60 retirement fund options, and then they just spend every dollar they get a hold of like they don't care about money as though it's not their money, which it isn't.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 07:52:06 AM by Freeyourchains2 »

smedleyb

• Bristles
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2013, 09:31:18 AM »
Not currently involved, but still licking my bearish wounds from Bernanke's July 10th  speech to some college kids where he reiterated his dovish monetary stance, only to confound the critics who were bracing for some tapering just weeks earlier.  Trading account crushed to the tune of double digits next day as [too] many puts (accumulated just days earlier) were sold for a steep loss.

Alas, trading this market based solely on old school indicators is futile when prices are so easily manipulated by one man's personal opinion of where they should be.  Maybe someday good ole' supply and demand will determine price again.  Until then, this is Ben's market to hold, or lose.  Just don't tell me these markets are "free."  When future historians look for instances exemplifying the disconnect between stocks and the underlying economy, 2009-20013 will jump to the fore.

Active trading is hard and I can't seem to do it well, at least as far as predicting where the major averages are moving next.  Power to those who can. 

Freeyourchains2

« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2013, 10:19:17 AM »

Active trading is hard and I can't seem to do it well, at least as far as predicting where the major averages are moving next.  Power to those who can. 

Which would be harder? Active Trading or starting up your own business, say presumably after Financial independence, if these two where your fun hobbies. (this is kind of how fun kid science centers sprung up across the nation.)

Or Actively trading on a startup...like Opexa Therapeutics, Inc. (Opexa)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 10:22:40 AM by Freeyourchains2 »

smedleyb

• Bristles
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2013, 10:27:49 AM »
I would say active stock trading is the much harder of the two, and less rewarding on top of it.  I spend way more time thinking about creating new business than I do gaming stocks.   

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2013, 12:21:05 PM »
I would say active stock trading is the much harder of the two, and less rewarding on top of it.

Absolutely.  Many people have gotten rich from starting a business.

Very few have gotten rich from day trading.

They both, of course, have very high failure rates.

But there's a reason the vast majority of millionaires got that way via owning a business or real estate (those two together vastly outweigh every other method).

But day trading is a nice pipe dream for the lazy person. (Myself included.)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Hugh H

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2013, 02:40:04 AM »
Learn to sell options instead of buying them… you'll do better.

Freeyourchains2

« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2013, 06:50:47 AM »
Darn, sold Tesla hot stock a day too early..

At this rate, it'll be above $190 by the end of this game...
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 06:58:12 AM by Freeyourchains2 »

Freeyourchains2

« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2013, 11:18:58 AM »
I learned an interesting lesson about Company Buy back announcements and maniac trading frenzies. (bought high..when i knew better)

Thus i deserve to be ranked last, for now...

Though in another thread, i mentioned Tesla a few months ago, but who would of thought it would jump 500% in price over a few months. (aka hot stock with performing earnings and breaking into a profit for the first time ever).

It's been carrying the latest leaderboards for awhile.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 11:23:37 AM by Freeyourchains2 »

Cecil

• Bristles
« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2013, 01:03:11 PM »
I got lucky and gambled on Tesla. That seems to be the way to do well at these kinds of short term competitions - pick a very volatile stock and hope it skyrockets.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2013, 03:26:20 PM »
I got lucky and gambled on Tesla. That seems to be the way to do well at these kinds of short term competitions - pick a very volatile stock and hope it skyrockets.

Indeed!

As I said in the other thread:
Soooo who can predict which stocks will perform well over the next 3 months, huh?

Sounds fun and educational!

With this sort of short term volititlity, would anyone rational argue that the results of this are more skill than luck?  I.e. at least 51% skill?

Good call on Tesla.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

JamesAt15

• Stubble
« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2013, 06:04:00 PM »
There really ought to be RED and BLK equities available to purchase that will either double or bankrupt.

I sold my TSLA in my monkeys account, since it has been a month. Yep, would have seen a very different outcome if their earnings had been released a couple days later.

i_am_the_slime

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2013, 07:01:18 PM »

With this sort of short term volititlity, would anyone rational argue that the results of this are more skill than luck?  I.e. at least 51% skill?

Good call on Tesla.

I think James nailed it with his award winning newsletter submission above.  He clearly did so well because of his skill!

Freeyourchains2

« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2013, 08:31:13 AM »
Tesla will keep climbing because of it's innovation and niche in the auto industry markets. (The auto makers couldn't buy out this electric car idea and quench it. Elon Musk is far to rich to let that happen this time.) It's taking a bite out of them, and offering better incentives to luxury and middle class customers for electric cars. Plus the use of electricity in an automobile has a long long forgotten history, that Ford and many others tried hushing back in the 1900's with AC car motors and wireless power and permanent magnet motor ideas. Do your own research on those ones and remember history is made before the patent is issued, though it can be bought out and rewritten after the patent  and never implemented into the world's economics for various "destructive to their business model" reasons. (Howard Johnson U.S. Patent No. 4,151,431 is an interesting one that makes fuel engines obsolete. He hassled for 6 years trying to get that approved. Then Ford bought it and shelved it for good to Ford business reasons.)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2013, 01:28:09 PM »
Tesla will keep climbing because of it's innovation and niche in the auto industry markets. (The auto makers couldn't buy out this electric car idea and quench it. Elon Musk is far to rich to let that happen this time.) It's taking a bite out of them, and offering better incentives to luxury and middle class customers for electric cars. Plus the use of electricity in an automobile has a long long forgotten history, that Ford and many others tried hushing back in the 1900's with AC car motors and wireless power and permanent magnet motor ideas. Do your own research on those ones and remember history is made before the patent is issued, though it can be bought out and rewritten after the patent  and never implemented into the world's economics for various "destructive to their business model" reasons. (Howard Johnson U.S. Patent No. 4,151,431 is an interesting one that makes fuel engines obsolete. He hassled for 6 years trying to get that approved. Then Ford bought it and shelved it for good to Ford business reasons.)

I have a hard time believing conspiracy theories on anything like this, especially related to patents.

Your last example, for instance, is ridiculous. Even if Ford did do so to block that patent from being implemented, it'd buy him like 20 years.

If this was the case, we'd have seen other companies implement it right after the patent protection was up.  Given that they didn't (and they would have, had there been profit in it, given the way capitalism works), the whole story reeks of bullshit.

If it wasn't profitable for them to do 20 years later, do you really think it would have been that profitable for Johnson, or profitable for Ford to buy it and sit on it?

Parents literally disclose EVERYTHING.  And then someone else can just copy it 20 years later.  If and when that happens, maybe you can look to shenanigans happening.  Since it never happened, you can figure that it probably wasn't that great of an idea to begin with.

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2013, 02:25:06 PM »

I have a hard time believing conspiracy theories on anything like this, especially related to patents.

Your last example, for instance, is ridiculous. Even if Ford did do so to block that patent from being implemented, it'd buy him like 20 years.

If this was the case, we'd have seen other companies implement it right after the patent protection was up.  Given that they didn't (and they would have, had there been profit in it, given the way capitalism works), the whole story reeks of bullshit.

If it wasn't profitable for them to do 20 years later, do you really think it would have been that profitable for Johnson, or profitable for Ford to buy it and sit on it?

Parents literally disclose EVERYTHING.  And then someone else can just copy it 20 years later.  If and when that happens, maybe you can look to shenanigans happening.  Since it never happened, you can figure that it probably wasn't that great of an idea to begin with.

Crap I was totally going to sell him my patented process for cold fusion too.

DoubleDown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2013, 10:44:32 AM »
Haven't been playing in the game, but my 401k statement for last month says I got 10.82% returns for the month just sitting there, doing absolutely no buying or selling or re-balancing, and that is with only 50% invested in broad equity indexes like the S&P 500 (the other 50% is in gov. securities and bonds). Just wanted to give the 10,000,000th vote for long term index investing.

Freeyourchains2

« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2013, 02:20:35 PM »

You of all people should know, that every 20 years that goes by, the education systems intentionally get worse because much wealthier people make it that way to protect their power,earnings, and profitable systems of corruption off the backs of financial slaves. The government doesn't mind it either  because it's easier to control the citizens and they keep collecting income from their hard but eventually thoughtless work. Then it becomes easy to spend other's people's money.

Oh these are proven profitable patents, even world economic changers, and many inventors have replicated them. They have resold them for profits, only to get bought out again and again under federally protected non-disclosure agreements as apart of the hush up deals.

Here is one link that might interest you and others about the re-written history of electric cars, fuel efficient vehicles, and free energy motor devices: http://fuel-efficient-vehicles.org/energy-news/?page_id=44

Freeyourchains2

« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2013, 02:24:28 PM »
Haven't been playing in the game, but my 401k statement for last month says I got 10.82% returns for the month just sitting there, doing absolutely no buying or selling or re-balancing, and that is with only 50% invested in broad equity indexes like the S&P 500 (the other 50% is in gov. securities and bonds). Just wanted to give the 10,000,000th vote for long term index investing.

The problem with above, is the following month it goes to -10.82%..for a total yearly sum of sometimes -5%, sometimes +5%. Vacillation of your money at it's finest, while the only guarantee of profits without any risk is made by fund fees and commission fees. (and eventual government taxes and/or fees)

When you give up control of choosing stocks and give up your right to vote with proxy votes, the powerful get to play with the fees and your money.

brewer12345

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #49 on: August 12, 2013, 02:44:22 PM »

You of all people should know, that every 20 years that goes by, the education systems intentionally get worse because much wealthier people make it that way to protect their power,earnings, and profitable systems of corruption off the backs of financial slaves. The government doesn't mind it either  because it's easier to control the citizens and they keep collecting income from their hard but eventually thoughtless work. Then it becomes easy to spend other's people's money.

Oh these are proven profitable patents, even world economic changers, and many inventors have replicated them. They have resold them for profits, only to get bought out again and again under federally protected non-disclosure agreements as apart of the hush up deals.

Here is one link that might interest you and others about the re-written history of electric cars, fuel efficient vehicles, and free energy motor devices: http://fuel-efficient-vehicles.org/energy-news/?page_id=44

How much would the tinfoil hat concession go for at your house?