Author Topic: Investment Tracking in Excel  (Read 2729 times)

pjrichar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Investment Tracking in Excel
« on: November 19, 2015, 01:43:19 PM »
I have been searching google for an excel file that I can use to keep track of my investments and not having much luck. I was wanting to keep track of my contributions/withdrawals, investment returns, and maybe some other useful metrics. Does anyone have a file that they use to track their investments and would be able to share?

Thanks!

JordanOfGilead

• Bristles
Re: Investment Tracking in Excel
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2015, 01:53:19 PM »
I spent a few hours grinding away in excel to make my own, but it's pretty specified and doesn't do a good job of tracking all of the growth and loss if investing. I really just use it as a backup to my mint account to track where all of my money goes, to include taxes, insurance, and 401k/ira investments. It doesn't reflect a value of those things, but it shows me how much I put into them and makes predictions for the future based on frequently updated conservative estimates of the direction things are going.

hodedofome

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2015, 03:10:50 PM »
Quicken may do this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2015, 04:42:03 AM »
Does your brokerage not do this for you?
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

JordanOfGilead

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2015, 06:07:38 AM »
Does your brokerage not do this for you?
^^^
I have accounts with vanguard (personal investing) as well as T. Rowe Price and Principle (both workplace retirement plans) and they all do a pretty good job of laying out purchases, sales, and market fluctuations.

P0IS0N

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2015, 03:24:32 AM »
I generally use Google Finance to track individual portfolios, but since it doesn't have a compare feature, I made an excel file to do that, as well as to check the asset balance.
Basically, the 2nd and 3rd sheet only require copy-pasting the data from the spreadsheets generated with google finance, while the 4th sheet currently requires manual input.
Maybe there's a better way to do that, so far, I'm updating it myself.