Author Topic: investment account statements  (Read 1696 times)

human

• Pencil Stache
investment account statements
« on: July 20, 2015, 08:07:06 PM »
Noob at investing. I've been socking away money into ETFs in a TFSA and RRSP account at BMO Investorline this year. I started investing biweekly on payday but I don't always invest in each account. I never got a statement for MAY for the RRSP account, I was told no activity = no statement. If you are not investing do you guys log into your accounts at the end of every month in order to calculate your returns for the month? I find it weird not getting a statement. I get a monthly statement for the savings account they pestered me to open years ago (I have a grand total of $2.39 in there) but no statement for 12k in an RRSP account . . . is this stupid or am I the one being stupid?

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
Re: investment account statements
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 08:39:41 PM »
We don't look at the brokerage web site all that often - because Quicken downloads the balances and transactions for us, putting all our accounts (checking, savings, investment, etc.) in one place.  Other software packages will do a similar function.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 06:39:06 AM »
I prefer not having lots of statements mailed. I do everything electronically. Every once-in-a-while I'll save some digital copies for backup purposes.

human

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 06:14:38 PM »
I don't have them mailed, they are online but if there are no trades they do not generate one. Just wondered how people figure out what their monthly returns are if you do not get a statement. One person downloads a csv file it seems. I just want to know how much I have for each equity at the end of the month. It seems I'll have to log in and check the account.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!