Author Topic: Investing recommendations for someone just starting  (Read 2096 times)

bri_elena

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Investing recommendations for someone just starting
« on: August 17, 2017, 03:40:46 PM »
Hi,

I am a college student and I really resonate with the ideas of this website. I don't have a financial education and I want to learn how to invest in index funds, TFSA, real estate buying and selling and other means that moustachians consider wise . Can you recommend me some books or online resources  ?

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
Re: Investing recommendations for someone just starting
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 03:47:14 PM »
Regarding stock / bond investing, IMO, there is no greater resource for someone just starting out than the stock series:

http://jlcollinsnh.com/stock-series/

bri_elena

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 03:54:05 PM »
Nice ! Thanks for the suggestion

StudentEngineer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 03:56:58 PM »
Glad to see a fellow college student here!  I'd read through all of MMM's post from the very beginning and then take a look at the link that dandarc posted.

I'd recommend you to sign up for a vanguard brokerage account.  It'll take a few days to process and then you can move money over to it and start investing.  There are plenty of resources on vanguard.com about how to use their site and investing in general.

Take a look at my acorns review too, its helpful for college students who have little financial knowledge and there are zero fees.

Do you have more specific questions?

bri_elena

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 04:10:50 PM »
Great. Thanks for your in-debth reply and for the study map you sketched for me. I will definitely look everything.
I will have to learn more and come back with good questions. There is one though on my mind. I live in Sweden at the moment. And I found Sweden listed on Vanguard website as well.  Are the rules same like in US or maybe I shouldn't worry about this at this point? Of course I will have to read more on things before making an account . Pardon my ignorace, I will get better as I learn about the financial aspects.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 04:12:38 PM by bri_elena »

StudentEngineer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2017, 04:53:57 PM »
From a very brief search it appears that Vanguard supports Sweden. As for the rules I'd be willing to bet that the majority are the same but there may be small differences specific to tax-deferred accounts and taxes in general. 

Here is a post regarding european investors with vanguard, might help a little bit
http://jlcollinsnh.com/2014/01/27/stocks-part-xxi-investing-with-vanguard-for-europeans/

But really I don't think you can go wrong with signing up with Vanguard and doing research as you go.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!