Author Topic: Investing Questions  (Read 2692 times)

mustachianit

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Investing Questions
« on: October 03, 2012, 05:55:40 PM »
Question everyone says to go into Vanguard and chose the VTSAX fund.  What I do not understand is why is it so great when the yield dividend is only 1.8% and has not gone much higher.  How can we live off of the dividends in 20 years?

Here is my current situation.  Any Advice please?  I am lost here and could use any help!!!! : )

I started contributing 40% of my salary to my 401K.

Then I have a IRA through Scottrade of stocks that total 30K.

Then we have Two Roth IRA accounts that total 30K through Scottrade of stocks and I am doing the max each year so total for both of us 10K

I am saving $500.00 a month in a savings account that is giving me 3%.  My balance is 4k.

I am thinking if I do IRA I could roll over the 33K from my Scottrade IRA to get the VTSAX fund going.  Then I will contribute any extra money to the VTSAK fund each month.  Then keep my Roth IRA’s through Scottrade. 

Any suggestions would help. 

Thanks Andria!!!!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Investing Questions
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 06:31:27 PM »
You don't live off dividends, you do a total return strategy, which includes selling some stock, but at's okay, because it goes up faster than you sell it, ideally.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 05:01:27 AM »
Just one note:  You can only do a total of $5K each into IRA's each year.  So by maxing out Roths that space is already full, you can't also contribute to a traditional IRA.

mustachianit

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 06:12:13 PM »
Thank you both and I did not know I could only do $5000 in one or the other.  So thanks again!!!!