Author Topic: Invest in S&P500 at peak in 2007? Congrats, your investment has doubled!  (Read 4483 times)

spud1987

• Bristles
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-09-26/doubling-your-money-in-stocks-by-buying-at-peak-of-a-bull-market

Good evidence for the buy-and-holders and the non-market timers.

Of course, if you invested everything in February 2009 you have almost quadrupled your money.

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Invest in S&P500 at peak in 2007? Congrats, your investment has doubled!
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 02:06:23 PM »
See also What if You Only Invested at Market Peaks? for an even wider perspective.

Radagast

• Magnum Stache
  • One Does Not Simply Work Into Mordor
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 02:09:56 PM »
And if you invested in emerging markets at their 2007 peak your investment is breaking even now! Yeehah

effigy98

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 03:02:58 PM »
A company should offer 8 year cryo freezes to put you to sleep for times like 2000 and 2008. Then you do not have to live thru the rollercoaster of emotion that goes with it!

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2017, 11:41:39 PM »
A company should offer 8 year cryo freezes to put you to sleep for times like 2000 and 2008. Then you do not have to live thru the rollercoaster of emotion that goes with it!

This is a plot point in the Ender's Game sequels. Ender travels at relativistic speeds most of the time, with days for him being the same as months or years for most people. A digital assistant manages his accounts, and compounding makes him very wealthy indeed.

wingfold2001

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2017, 04:42:19 AM »

This is a plot point in the Ender's Game sequels. Ender travels at relativistic speeds most of the time, with days for him being the same as months or years for most people. A digital assistant manages his accounts, and compounding makes him very wealthy indeed.

What should I do with all this cash?

I sold a house and am sitting on enough cash to double my investment portfolio.

The market is so hot that I'm hesitant to invest it right now; because if I exceed my risk tolerance, it could lead to emotional decision making.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2017, 09:00:06 AM »
Can you put 60% of it into VTSAX today? You'd still have the other 40% ready for when the drop comes because you invested it.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2017, 09:17:51 AM »
Should we call the top?  :P

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2017, 01:13:08 PM »

The market is so hot that I'm hesitant to invest it right now; because if I exceed my risk tolerance, it could lead to emotional decision making.

This is perhaps a sign that your current stock/bond asset allocation is too heavily weighted toward stocks for your personal risk tolerance. You need to choose a percentage where you would not act rashly if the stock market went down by half tomorrow. Try to guess what that percentage is for you, and invest your cash to bring your overall portfolio closer to that balance.

kendallf

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2017, 01:14:54 PM »

I think you should spend time making identical posts on forum threads; this should quell any desire to make unwise investments.  Then you should bury the cash in your back yard.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2017, 03:02:52 PM »

We could get into a multi-page debate about what constitutes a "Hot" market (let's just assume for the moment it's not). Conventional wisdom lies between "Have your age in bonds, the rest in stocks" and "Do whatever allows you to sleep at night."  If you make a financial decision that has you worrying and pacing, you're going to second guess yourself and make that emotional decision.

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
  • Fee-only Financial Planner
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2017, 10:41:54 AM »

We could get into a multi-page debate about what constitutes a "Hot" market (let's just assume for the moment it's not). Conventional wisdom lies between "Have your age in bonds, the rest in stocks" and "Do whatever allows you to sleep at night."  If you make a financial decision that has you worrying and pacing, you're going to second guess yourself and make that emotional decision.

Read the first comments in the thread, and then slap yourself for self-burning due to irony.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2017, 04:32:33 PM »

Read the first comments in the thread, and then slap yourself for self-burning due to irony.

I did. What's the punch line?

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2017, 04:45:27 PM »
Because it's the last peak? It could be worst case scenario, or you know, it could continue going up.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2017, 05:43:51 PM »
Because it's the last peak? It could be worst case scenario, or you know, it could continue going up.

Worried I jinxed us by saying the market is normal instead of "hot?"

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2017, 06:00:39 PM »
My point wasn`t targeted at you, but rather the person who was unwilling to put money into the market.

In a thread that is literally looking at the fact you should always put it in, rather than market time.

My bad. Didn`t look up at which comment you wrote Travis!