Author Topic: Invest in 3.4% fixed interest rate  (Read 2540 times)

petra

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Invest in 3.4% fixed interest rate
« on: April 03, 2017, 05:23:00 AM »
Hi,
Would you recommend to invest in 3.4% fixed interest rate (CD)? Money would be tied for 6 years.
I was thinking to diversify my portfolio and put up to 10% of my yearly contribution inside.
What do you think, should I go for it or keep adding to index funds.
Thanks

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
Re: Invest in 3.4% fixed interest rate
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 05:29:24 AM »
Only you can answer that.

I personally wouldn't but I have a higher risk tolerance, I'm viewing my timeline over the course of 50 years, and I have an Investment Policy Statement which I follow and review. That IPS guides my investment decisions.

Another Reader

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 05:31:16 AM »
I am not aware of any six year CD's that pay 3.4 percent.  Are you sure this is a CD issued by a bank insured by the FDIC?

petra

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2017, 05:56:57 AM »
Sorry, I'm from EU. It is a type of investment similar to CD with gov. help...
Yes it is insured by state. 3.4% is interest rate, and I would be limited to ~5k per year. My other savings goes to 3fund portfolio.
Considering that my 3fund portfolio is in USD, I was thinking to add this as diversification (fixed interest) and currency risk (it is in EURO).
Overall for next 20 years I would gain more from funds, even taking currency risk into account, but 3.4% fixed in not too bad, however not even close to potential 7%+ from funds.

Heckler

• Handlebar Stache

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
  • Location: A poor and backward Southern state known as minimum wage country
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2017, 12:57:52 PM »
It might be worth considering if you are over age 65 or so, or if you can't stand volatility. If you are not yet retired, I think the interest rate is too low. Personally, I would borrow all the money I could at that rate and invest it in higher yielding things.