Author Topic: ING GoldenSelect ESII  (Read 4579 times)

Stephaniekb

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
ING GoldenSelect ESII
« on: November 14, 2014, 08:59:30 PM »
Several years ago, an investment advisor talked my husband and me into rolling some of our traditional IRA and taxable investment money into annuity contracts with ING (now Voya.) I didn't understand the investment vehicle very well, despite a lot of explanation, but we were swayed by the idea that there's a guaranteed rate of return (around 7%, I believe. We purchased these in 2010, so were somewhat scarred by the investment losses of the prior years so the guaranteed return was a big selling point at the time. I now understand that these were not the right vehicle to help us achieve ER.)

We currently have approximately 100K in taxable investments and 85K in IRAs with ING, and we are about half-way through our contract period in which there's a penalty for early withdrawal. The funds are in ING Goldenselect ESII, which includes a mix of funds. I've gotten uncomfortable with the mix of funds, with the fees and the reallocations which seem to make money for the fund and our advisor rather than us.

Hoping for some advice on how to handle this investment. Is it worth the surrender charge to get out of these investments? Can the IRA portions be rolled into another IRA without tax consequences? Is this money basically lost to us until my spouse and I turn 59 1/2 (11 and 9 years)?

Please be gentle with me on this one.... this is one not-well-informed investment decision in a lifetime of making some pretty good ones....

BlueDove

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: ING GoldenSelect ESII
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2017, 07:07:17 PM »
Hi - I am facing this same situation, can you share what you did? 

My situation is here: 

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/investor-alley/surrender-charge-vs-high-fees-am-i-looking-at-this-right/

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!