Author Topic: Indian in the Middle East  (Read 1800 times)

vitaminAB

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Indian in the Middle East
« on: December 13, 2015, 05:22:06 AM »
Hi Fellow Mustachians,
I am a 30 year old married male living with my wife and daughter (9month old) in Dubai. Oh..and yes.. I am an Indian. I have lived in Dubai for the last 8 years. My wife and I both work for an MNC here and earn decent wages (internationally compared) and with no taxes, it definitely helps with savings (at least 30-40% of net income). My wife and I are both relatively frugal and 'savings centric' inspite of the (relatively) high cost of living.
Given that my earnings are in USD (effectively, since the AED- Dirham is pegged to the USD), I am seeking investment advice to help towards retirement.
Currently, our savings (most of it at least) is repatriated to an Indian account. From this, regular investments are made towards funds and equities (both of which have done well). Recently, to diversify I opened a brokerage account (in the UAE) which gives me access to international ETF's and equities - my idea was to route some of my AED savings to USD ETF (index funds).

Given that living here (for long periods of time) is not a given, what should my diversification strategy be? There is more growth coming out of India - so I am tempted to invest (for the long term) a majority of our savings there; but does it help with mobility (if we have to relocate)?

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
Re: Indian in the Middle East
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2015, 07:24:57 AM »
Where do you plan to live after you retire?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

vitaminAB

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2015, 07:42:39 AM »
Good question - We are not sure. Could be Australia/ New Zealand

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2015, 03:26:33 PM »
For multiple countries, you have to worry about more than type of investment and diversification. Taxation is very important as well - in fact, it may be the single most crucial factor. Is there a chartered or certified accountant where you are who also does international financial planning? Paying for a few hours of that person's time so you can brainstorm and formulate a plan might be a good idea.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk