Author Topic: income tax witholding - working a partial year  (Read 783 times)


  • Bristles
  • ***
  • Posts: 267
  • Location: Newport Beach, CA
income tax witholding - working a partial year
« on: September 27, 2019, 11:50:21 AM »
in short I got to take a nice break from work all year and just started again this month, estimate will earn something close to 45-50K this year and want to avoid overpaying on taxes and having a big refund

payroll doesn't have a way to alter federal tax withholding percentage, so I figured increasing # of allowances was the only way to reduce it, 1st paycheck I entered 5 allowances and ended up with 29% in taxes (Fed/CA state), 2nd one I increased to 10 and it lowered to 26%. Should I go even higher on the allowances to minimize witholding/refund?
Not going to contribute to 401K til Jan since there's no match yet and really no 2019 tax advantage for me since I will be in the 12% federal bracket after the 12K standard deduction right? planning to max HSA/Roth

just trying to figure out what withholding percentage I should be shooting for here so I'm not over/underpaying

here are the percentages from latest check with 10 allowances:
Fed Withholding- 10%
Fed MED/OASDI 7.5%
CA Withholding/OASD- 8.3%


  • Handlebar Stache
  • *****
  • Posts: 1131
  • Age: 34
  • Location: NTX
  • Eat. Sleep. Invest. Repeat.
Re: income tax witholding - working a partial year
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2019, 12:27:25 PM »
The IRS has a nice calculator for that.


  • Walrus Stache
  • *******
  • Posts: 7259
  • Age: 39
  • Location: Seattle, WA
    • My blog
Re: income tax witholding - working a partial year
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2019, 12:36:51 PM »
The Medicare/SDI portion is fixed. Changing your allowances won't make a difference there. The federal percentage already seems in the right general ballpark if you're making $50k this year. If you're single that would probably put you right around the border between the 12% and 22% brackets, so 10% effective rate sounds about right. Not sure about your state taxes.