Author Topic: I need help picking the 401k for new job  (Read 3427 times)

Jana

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I need help picking the 401k for new job
« on: March 01, 2016, 05:17:37 PM »
Vanguard Index fund is not available. I don't know which one to choose that is close. Here are my choices:

Voya Target Solution Income
Voya Target Solution 2020----all of these are .91% fees
Voya Target Solution 2025
Voya Target Solution 2030
Voya Target Solution 2035
Voya Target Solution 2040
Voya Target Solution 2045
Voya Target Solution 2050
Voya Target Solution 2055
Voya Target Solution 2060
Stable Value Fund
BlackRock US Debt Index
Fidelity Total Bond

Voya Large Cap Value Port
BlackRock Russell 3000 Index-----I'm thinking maybe this expense is .28%  five year return history is 11%+
Voya Large Cap Growth Port
JHancock Dspl Val Mid Cap
T.Rowe Mid Cap Growth

Federated Clover Sm Cap Val
T. Rowe Price New Horizons
BlackRock Global Equity Ex US
American Funds EuroPacific

****We need to invest to get our taxable income down. It's a good problem to have-a pension and a job. But I hate having to pick from these limited choices. Any guidance would be appreciated :)  We are 50 and he will probably work  5-10 years more by choice. We plan to move it to Vanguard at that point and start converting to a Roth.

BarkyardBQ

• Pencil Stache
Re: I need help picking the 401k for new job
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2016, 05:24:21 PM »
Does your Voya account offer the TD Ameritrade Self Directed Brokerage Account? It lets you invest in 100 commission free ETFs, mostly Vanguard ETFs for a fixed fee. You usually have to keep 50% of your balance in Voya and the other half can be invested in ETFs.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2016, 05:43:56 PM »
Jana

The very first thing you need to decide for yourself is "what do I want my asset allocation to be".  It helps to have an Investor Policy Statement (IPS), but if those are all words and concepts you are unfamiliar with, just start by asking "how much of my money do I want in stocks, and how much in bonds."  Do I want mostly US companies, or do I want more international exposure.

All the Voya target solution funds have varying percentages of stocks and bonds.  The closer the year (e.g. 2020 is the 'soonest') the more bonds it has.  As time goes on each one of those funds will replace some of its stocks with bonds to (hopefully) reduce volatility.   

The BlackRock Russell 3000 Index is a broadbased index made up of US companies.  It's fairly close to Vanguard's total market index fund.
Fidelity total bonds holds all bonds.  All the others seem to be actively managed funds

Jana

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2016, 06:01:01 PM »
Thanks this helps. We have our bond allocation in a Vanguard tax deferred account so I'm looking for a stock index fund. Looks like Blackrock Russell will be a good choice.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2016, 06:06:43 PM »
Thanks this helps. We have our bond allocation in a Vanguard tax deferred account so I'm looking for a stock index fund. Looks like Blackrock Russell will be a good choice.
Feels nice to help somebody :-)  I ruined dinner unfortunately...

Retire in CO

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2016, 08:05:40 AM »
We have T. Rowe's New Horizon through our simple IRA-.79% expense ratio but it has far exceeded my expectations. Past performance does not predict future returns so I wouldn't base my choice on that factor, but if I wanted small cap exposure, I would consider it for a small portion. They have closed the fund to new investors, so it is nice that you have access to it through a 401K.

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2016, 01:20:59 PM »
You have two Blackrock index funds, for both US and international. That's pretty good! Way better than when I started my job. Pick a US/intl allocation and use those.