Author Topic: I have a chunk; should I invest before, day of, or after the election.?  (Read 12096 times)

Cannot Wait!

• Handlebar Stache
  • FIREd 2016 @ 49
Understand that timing the market is silly  - but the date is sooooh close.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
Re: I have a chunk; should I invest before, day of, or after the election.?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2016, 08:57:04 AM »
Put it in TODAY in the Golden butterfly allocation. One or two of the five chunks will look really great next week, and you'll feel really smart.

Kilbim

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2016, 06:01:12 AM »
I am doing like this. Since I can't time the market, I am splitting my investment in 2, I invest half before, and half after.

Le Barbu

• Handlebar Stache
  • I really didn’t say everything I said - Y. B.
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2016, 06:03:19 AM »
Invest today, nobody knows if markets will be up or down next week anyway!

Make sure to have at least 30-50% international allocation. This usually smooth the currency variations, thus your portfolio.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2016, 12:23:38 AM »
Did you make a decision!? Excited to see which was the 'right' choice.

Cannot Wait!

• Handlebar Stache
  • FIREd 2016 @ 49
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2016, 11:39:21 AM »
I've moved the funds over but I'm waiting to see the results of the election.  From what I googled,  we might expect to see a V (dip) and I hope to jump in at/close to the bottom...

Le Barbu

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2016, 02:05:39 PM »
Maybe the "bottom" was on last friday!

Mighty-Dollar

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2016, 04:02:10 PM »
I guess it comes down to whether you trust the media narrative that Hillary is going to win. Clearly the media outlets conducting these polls want Hillary to win so it's really hard to trust what they are saying. ABC already admitted that they massaged their poll to include more minorities.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2016, 04:07:20 PM »
I guess it comes down to whether you trust the media narrative that Hillary is going to win. Clearly the media outlets conducting these polls want Hillary to win so it's really hard to trust what they are saying. ABC already admitted that they massaged their poll to include more minorities.

That might be so, but it's not clear to what what lying in polls would do to help Hillary? Wouldn't positive polls make people more complacent? Of course, one could probably argue bad polls could also make people complacent. So do they matter either way?

Davids

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2016, 05:12:42 PM »
I am waiting to see what happens after the election as I have a little chunk sitting in my vanguard federal money market account that I need to move to ETFs.

Space Pickle

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2016, 07:37:59 PM »
I made my monthly investment late last week.

I am up $252!

lostamonkey

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2016, 07:49:17 PM »
If you believe in efficient markets, the market is pricing in the probability of each candidate winning the election. If Hilary wins, markets will increase in value. If Trump wins, markets will decrease in value. I would just invest now, and vote Hilary tomorrow (but you should be doing that anyway).

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2016, 08:19:45 PM »
I feel your pain.

I'm buying a house with Vanguard holdings so I put in the order to sell $100,000 worth Sunday night.

It will sell today or tomorrow (election day).

I've been dreading that it would plummet today or tomorrow.

Looks like everything went up today! :)  Hopefully it will go up tomorrow also, if that's the day the price is determined.

I'm just hoping that after the sale goes thru I don't REALLY feel your pain!

Rustycage

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2016, 08:33:53 PM »
Pure opinion here, and also not a US resident, but ...

I'd wait until the day after. It seems like the world will end no matter who wins, which will likely meaner a cheaper buy-in :)

I tend to agree with Bill Burr, who in his last podcast said the best thing you can say about Trump is he's not Clinton, and that the best thing to say about Clinton is that she's not Trump hehe

Heckler

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2016, 11:03:50 PM »
In any case, I hope you all get out and vote tomorrow!

powskier

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2016, 11:35:28 PM »
hahhahahahha
I'd been waiting these last 3 weeks expecting to buy late Monday the 7th (expected low)
When the FBI cleared recent emails this weekend I put in a buy order for market open on Monday because it seemed clear that that would make a HRC win a certainty ( markets like certainty).
Prices soared right past my limit buy, haha it just really is a silly game trying to time it, especially when we are doing math over 20 or 50 year time periods......

Telecaster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2016, 12:16:21 AM »

Polling averages have shown HRC leading for months.   Tomorrow we'll see if the polls are "clearly" wrong as you say.   Or if the data thus presented are correct.   Either way, there is a clear record of what they have been saying. 

I'll go on record today on election eve as saying HRC will win by a comfortable margin, but less than Obama in 2012 because that's what the polls say will happen.     

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2016, 09:29:22 AM »
I am generally fully invested so didn't have a big chunk to drop into the market but had about $2.5K in cash sitting in my brokerage account.  When I saw the markets being down again on Friday, I put in a buy order right before the markets close.  For once, I did something right :-) Never mind, I clearly had no clue what I was doing...
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 05:01:30 AM by ZiziPB »

waltworks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2016, 04:01:08 PM »
The polls are biased, Romney has this one in the bag.

Wait, what were we talking about?

Too late now, but I would have just put the money in.

-W

meghan88

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2016, 04:39:29 PM »
I am generally fully invested so didn't have a big chunk to drop into the market but had about $2.5K in cash sitting in my brokerage account.  When I saw the markets being down again on Friday, I put in a buy order right before the markets close.  For once, I did something right :-)
I am still chasing that brass ring.  Congrats to you!

powskier

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2016, 09:09:00 PM »
Well this is "interesting". Looks like the market will tank tomorrow. Dang I was wrong, then wrong again, maybe 3 times wrong.
Great lessons against market timing going on.

Cannot Wait!

• Handlebar Stache
  • FIREd 2016 @ 49
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2016, 09:20:44 PM »
It will tank tomorrow  - but then will it keep tanking???

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2016, 11:07:04 PM »

Polling averages have shown HRC leading for months.   Tomorrow we'll see if the polls are "clearly" wrong as you say.   Or if the data thus presented are correct.   Either way, there is a clear record of what they have been saying. 

I'll go on record today on election eve as saying HRC will win by a comfortable margin, but less than Obama in 2012 because that's what the polls say will happen.   

Well, so far this is one less person that I will take investment advice from.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2016, 11:45:48 PM »
It will tank tomorrow  - but then will it keep tanking???

This is a very good question... Ours tanked, then recovered half. Still finished down 2%.

I bought in at the close, but I suspect the 'fall' will play out over several months. Trump doesn't take power until Jan 20, that's when the real fun will begin.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2016, 11:47:17 PM »
Maybe the "bottom" was on last friday!

Hahahaha!  Look how wrong you were!

Hahhahah!  Look how wrong you were!

Omg, I feel ill.

beastykato

• Stubble
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2016, 12:21:55 AM »
Lol.  It's OK buy buy buy.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2016, 05:03:41 AM »
I am generally fully invested so didn't have a big chunk to drop into the market but had about $2.5K in cash sitting in my brokerage account.  When I saw the markets being down again on Friday, I put in a buy order right before the markets close.  For once, I did something right :-)
I am still chasing that brass ring.  Congrats to you!
Never mind - see my edit above :-(

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2016, 06:33:33 AM »

Assuming you don't think it will keep going lower.  Maybe the date to buy will actually be after the inauguration?  Maybe we are going to be the next Japan and not recover for a very very long time.

Timing the market is silly.

Le Barbu

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2016, 06:44:46 AM »

Assuming you don't think it will keep going lower.  Maybe the date to buy will actually be after the inauguration?  Maybe we are going to be the next Japan and not recover for a very very long time.

Timing the market is silly.

sol, hope I am wrong again but this scenario is more likely to happen now. Markets may rebound, or not...

For the record, I never time the markets. I prefer to stay the course at 100% equities
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 06:57:18 AM by Le Barbu »

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2016, 07:13:47 AM »
I feel your pain.

I'm buying a house with Vanguard holdings so I put in the order to sell $100,000 worth Sunday night.

I'm also planning to buy a house, so I considered selling some positions before the election as well. In the end, I did not. I only have about $18,000 of my down-payment in stocks at the moment, and it appears the markets have recovered somewhat from the early shakeup, so maybe it wasn't a terrible decision to remain invested. It will probably be a few months before we need the money anyway.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2016, 07:58:51 AM »
I feel your pain.

I'm also planning to buy a house, so I considered selling some positions before the election as well. In the end, I did not. I only have about $18,000 of my down-payment in stocks at the moment, and it appears the markets have recovered somewhat from the early shakeup, so maybe it wasn't a terrible decision to remain invested. It will probably be a few months before we need the money anyway.

Well, so far the US markets are actually up.  Not sure what to think anymore.  I was planning to stay fully invested anyway, but this is just weird.

waltworks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2016, 09:34:21 AM »
Time for me to go on record to say: I was totally wrong! And snarkily wrong! Talk about egg on my face... Romney, hah.

The polls were either "biased" or just not right.

I have no idea what to make of the ~5% drop in the futures market leading to... negligible change in the morning.

-W

NESailor

• Bristles
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2016, 01:26:54 PM »
Time for me to go on record to say: I was totally wrong! And snarkily wrong! Talk about egg on my face... Romney, hah.

I have no idea what to make of the ~5% drop in the futures market leading to... negligible change in the morning.

-W

followed by a ROARING rally.  I didn't time anything but increased my contributions trying to max out what's left of the 403B and trad IRA's about a month ago.  All of those purchases are looking great :D.

The future is uncertain, don't worry about it until it arrives (but of course save save and save so you can enjoy it!)

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2016, 01:35:14 PM »

-W

followed by a ROARING rally.  I didn't time anything but increased my contributions trying to max out what's left of the 403B and trad IRA's about a month ago.  All of those purchases are looking great :D.

The future is uncertain, don't worry about it until it arrives (but of course save save and save so you can enjoy it!)

Everyone had the same idea - it will crash therefore it's a good buying opportunity, therefore I'll add to demand, therefore stocks went up?

Cycling Stache

• Bristles
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2016, 01:49:34 PM »
Can we save this thread for non-market timing posterity?  Market now up 1% after futures plummeted last night.  After 10 days of drops before the election when it looked like Trump might have a chance, then a 2% jump on Monday when it looked like not so much.

Market timing is officially tough!

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2016, 02:41:21 PM »
The correct answer to this thread question was apparently "invest during the vote counting when markets plummet 5%, but not earlier that day or the following morning, when markets were up 2%."

Hotstreak

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2016, 03:04:49 PM »
The correct answer to this thread question was apparently "invest during the vote counting when markets plummet 5%, but not earlier that day or the following morning, when markets were up 2%."

I'm saving this as an appointment in my Google Calendar for mid-terms in 2 years, I'm going to make a killing.

Telecaster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2016, 03:06:38 PM »

I went on record....and I was dead wrong!   I'll take my crow deep fried, please. 

russianswinga

• Stubble
  • Truth is just an excuse for a lack of imagination
« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2016, 04:44:41 PM »
I sold ALL my positions last Thursday when the DOW was at 17,900. 401K, IRA, everything, as I had a hunch Trump would win, and the markets would tumble.
I was right, except apparently Trump winning is great news for wall street? Dow now up to 18,600

I guess I should just leave index funds alone next time.

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2016, 06:49:28 PM »
I sold ALL my positions last Thursday when the DOW was at 17,900. 401K, IRA, everything, as I had a hunch Trump would win, and the markets would tumble.
I was right, except apparently Trump winning is great news for wall street? Dow now up to 18,600

The first step in recovery is admitting you have a problem. ;)

Radagast

• Magnum Stache
  • One Does Not Simply Work Into Mordor
« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2016, 07:20:10 PM »
Glad my money went in Thursday when it first became available :).

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2016, 07:25:28 PM »

I hope this doesn't cancel Christmas in the Swinga household.

Kilbim

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2016, 04:19:34 AM »
I am glad my strategy worked : invest before and after was a good idea.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2016, 06:11:41 AM »
The market is so weird.  People who think they can time it must not have tried for real, with records.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2016, 06:18:05 AM »
Having worked for a pension consulting company, I have actually watched money flow in and out of defined contribution funds in response to market conditions and triggering events. The timers end up at the very bottom of the pile for returns, always.

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2016, 08:07:59 AM »

I'm thinking the pre-election jitters about a Trump presidency had more to do with the uncertainty regarding a smooth transfer of power, rather than any real fear about Trump's impact on the market itself. When it looked like Clinton was inevitable, the markets were fine. When it looked like there was a chance of a contested election, they were spooked. And when Hillary conceded, they recovered. I don't think anyone at this point can make any reasonable predictions about what a Trump presidency will look like. I do expect the country to survive, and so does everyone else with investments, apparently :)

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2016, 09:07:18 AM »
The rally is also focused on specific sectors: Energy (oil companies), defence, casinos are up. Utilities are down, presumably because of some safety effect.

Unfortunately I work for a power company, so I have a lot of stock in that shrinking utility pile.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2016, 11:26:32 AM »
I'm not normally a market timer, but I moved 70% of my retirement savings to G bonds. Contributions will go on same allocation as always. Predictions based on what will happen to the economy and the market is based on Trump being a rational actor, but he knows nothing about government and (almost all) bets are off. I don't mind the majority of my retirement savings sitting out the next 4 years. Maybe if a year or two goes by,  I still have a job and its business as usual, I may reconsider.

Zoot Allures

• Stubble
« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2016, 02:47:05 PM »
The market is so weird.  People who think they can time it must not have tried for real, with records.

It certainly is. I read an article today that theorized that the market gains are due to the "conciliatory" tone of Trump's victory speech. In other words, it's possible that the market is going gangbusters because Trump went 20 minutes without sounding like a maniac. That doesn't seem particularly sustainable to me.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2016, 03:22:46 PM »

It certainly is. I read an article today that theorized that the market gains are due to the "conciliatory" tone of Trump's victory speech. In other words, it's possible that the market is going gangbusters because Trump went 20 minutes without sounding like a maniac. That doesn't seem particularly sustainable to me.

That sounds like something I'd expect in this thread:

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/investor-alley/hilarious-'reasons'-for-market-movement/