Author Topic: I feel sheepish asking this, but...  (Read 2271 times)

FLOW

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I feel sheepish asking this, but...
« on: August 31, 2018, 10:57:27 AM »
I believe I can fly, I believe I can touch the sky...
Think about it every night and day...

-Honus  Wagner-
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 08:52:23 PM by Tom Smith »

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
Re: I feel sheepish asking this, but...
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2018, 11:02:59 AM »
If you contribute to a traditional tIRA, you are taxed on _everything_ that comes out,  so in the case of tIRA post tax adds, you'd be getting taxed twice.

The Roth IRA you only pay the tax on the income at contribution year, but not taxed at all for withdrawals after 59.5.

EvenSteven

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2018, 11:09:03 AM »
I believe for traditional IRA contributions made after tax, that you are not taxed on those contributions again when the money comes out, but the gains from those contributions will be taxed at your marginal income tax rate when withdrawn. Generally capital gains tax rate will be lower than your regular income tax rate, so you would be better off with a regular taxable account than a post tax tIRA contribution (if you are not doing a back-door Roth.)

The Roth IRA will have those gains be tax free.

reeshau

• Magnum Stache
  • Former locations: Detroit, Indianapolis, Dublin
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2018, 11:50:42 AM »
I believe for traditional IRA contributions made after tax, that you are not taxed on those contributions again when the money comes out, but the gains from those contributions will be taxed at your marginal income tax rate when withdrawn. Generally capital gains tax rate will be lower than your regular income tax rate, so you would be better off with a regular taxable account than a post tax tIRA contribution (if you are not doing a back-door Roth.)

The Roth IRA will have those gains be tax free.

This is correct, which is why everyone just does this to move on to a back-door Roth.  (Because direct Roth contributions also phase out, but at higher income level)  If you can make a Roth contribution, that is the best of these 3 choices, because gains are also tax-free.

EvenSteven

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2018, 01:42:57 PM »
I don't believe you include the standard deduction for determining your MAGI for IRA deductability limits, so add that back on. Looks like a regular front door Roth IRA contribution is the way to go.