Author Topic: HSA options for investing  (Read 1185 times)

coldestcat

  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • *
  • Posts: 77
HSA options for investing
« on: April 03, 2018, 09:36:05 AM »
I just recently got to the 2k needed to start investing through my HSA. The investments on that and my 457b are both lower than where they began but I understand that is just part of the game and thats the point I happened to enter it.
I am thinking right now that I have too high a % in world based funds, but I am not familiar with enough of the other options to select them.

Also I saw two different fees hit my account, one for 35 and another for 17 a few weeks ago. I am not sure if this is monthly, yearly or what, and I the FAQ didnt have anything on those fees. I am going to email them but also wanted advice from here.

Radagast

  • Handlebar Stache
  • *****
  • Posts: 1686
  • Location: West of the Mountains, East of the Sea
  • One does not simply work into Mordor
Re: HSA options for investing
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2018, 10:47:54 AM »
That allocation (25% total world, 25% total international, 50% S&P500) is a little redundant. Total world is already very similar to total international and S&P500, it is basically adding a third slice to do the same thing.

Total World is a fine choice by itself at 100%.

Or, 50% Total International, 40% S&P500, 10% Vanguard Small Cap will be basically the same as Total World.

Or, you can allocate to bonds depending on your objectives overall and for this account.

Or slice and dice. My HSA is in Vanguard Midcap and Smallcap (but with different available options).

Those fees are normal if they apply to the entire year and no others pop up.

coldestcat

  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • *
  • Posts: 77
Re: HSA options for investing
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2018, 11:41:33 AM »
Ok, that makes sense. I am leaning toward just putting the total world at 100%.

VoteCthulu

  • Bristles
  • ***
  • Posts: 409
Re: HSA options for investing
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2018, 12:01:45 PM »
That sounds like a good plan.

I have my HSA in the S&P because they have institutional shares with lower ER than I can get in my IRA, otherwise I would do the same.

Scandium

  • Handlebar Stache
  • *****
  • Posts: 2304
  • Location: EastCoast
Re: HSA options for investing
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2018, 12:11:27 PM »
Ok, that makes sense. I am leaning toward just putting the total world at 100%.

This is what I did in my HSA. I have several other accounts, I don't another (smaller by comparison) to rebalance and pay attention to.