Author Topic: HSA investment options  (Read 4733 times)

MustardTiger

• Stubble
HSA investment options
« on: November 20, 2014, 06:18:59 PM »
These are the investment options i have through my HSA.  The fees are all relatively high from what I have seen.  I would usually just go with the index but the fee is .8%, plus whatever the HSA fees are.  This is HSA Bank, and the investments are through the DEVENIR group.

Right now I am just keeping the account in cash because I anticipate medical bills in the next year, but I assume that even if all options are shitty that it is still better to invest over just cash.

Thought?

Investment Name   Current %   New %
FRANKLIN INCOME   0%   %
HARTFORD CAPITAL APPRECIATION   0%   %
AMERICAN FUNDS GROWTH FND -F   0%   %
FEDERATED KAUFMAN SMALL CAP   0%   %
AMERICAN FUNDS CAPWLD G&I -F   0%   %
MUNDER INDEX 500   0%   %
JHANCOCK HIGH- YIELD A   0%   %
GOLDMAN SACHS GROWTH STRATEGY   0%   %
GOLDMAN SACHS GROWTH & INC STR   0%   %
GOLDMAN SACHS BALANCED STRAT   0%   %
JHANCOCK MONEY MARKET A   100%   %
PIMCO TOTAL RETURN   0%   %
BLACKROCK EQUITY DIVIDEND A   0%   %
JOHN HANCOCK LARGE CAP EQUITY   0%   %
HEARTLAND SELECT VALUE   0%   %
HEARTLAND VALUE PLUS   0%   %
FIRST EAGLE OVERSEAS FUND   0%   %
NUVEEN REAL ESTATE SECURITIES   0%   %
DELAWARE SELECT GROWTH   0%   %

MooseOutFront

• Pencil Stache
Re: HSA investment options
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 06:30:29 PM »
Can you switch from DENEVIR to TDAmeritrade?  HSA Bank shows both options on their home page.  HSA Bank's investment options in TDAmeritrade are about the best in the HSA business.  Cheap Vanguard ETFs.

GGNoob

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 06:45:12 PM »
I'm with MooseOutFront, go with the TD Ameritrade option. We have my wife's HSA at hsaadministrators.info and I'm happy with them.

wtjbatman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 10:07:07 PM »
If switching to TD Ameritrade doesn't work, keep in mind you can always transfer your money to another HSA through another provider. It's not like a 401k.

MooseOutFront

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2014, 11:11:05 AM »
Yes indeed.  For example mine is direct deposited into Aetna / Chase, but I just transferred $9000 from there to a new HSA at ELFCU this month.  ELFCU has the same TD Ameritrade investment options as HSA bank and slightly lower fees and minimum balances.  My transfer was free on both ends and my direct deposit still goes into Chase.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2014, 03:57:24 PM »
Yes I have ELFCU for the same reason.

sb_NoVA

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2014, 02:29:33 AM »
Yes indeed.  For example mine is direct deposited into Aetna / Chase, but I just transferred $9000 from there to a new HSA at ELFCU this month.  ELFCU has the same TD Ameritrade investment options as HSA bank and slightly lower fees and minimum balances.  My transfer was free on both ends and my direct deposit still goes into Chase.

This is good to know.  I'm starting HSA with Optum bank in 2015.  Does Vanguard accept Incoming HSA transfers?

MooseOutFront

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2014, 08:52:54 AM »
No, Vanguard doesn't have HSA accounts (that would be nice).  From my research the two best deals for investing your HSA funds into stocks are HSA Bank and ELCFU using the TD Ameritrade brokerage option in either.

charis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2014, 07:52:53 AM »

I also have Aetna/Chase.  This is a great idea.  Which Chase fund do you have for your initial deposits to go into? 

MooseOutFront

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2014, 08:02:49 AM »
I just leave it in cash at Chase.  The only "acceptable" fund option in there for me would be OGEAX.  The expense ratio at 0.45% is way high for a regular old S&P 500 index fund, but then when you add on the fees of converting your account to an investment account ($2.50/month) then you need about $9000 invested before you get your expenses below 1%.  I would have been better off in retrospect just paying those high fees over the past couple years as the market ran up, but I'm allergic to expense ratios, maybe to a fault.

charis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2014, 08:12:06 AM »
Thank you!  I was  unaware of the conversion fee for the investment account - me plan just established the HSA today and I hadn't read all of the fine print.

pzxc

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2014, 08:58:36 AM »
Just wanted to say that I'm jealous of you guys who get to use an HSA -- my employer doesn't have any HDHP plans that would let me use an HSA.  So extract the maximum advantage you can from your HSA guys because not everybody gets one!

On the other hand, I get a 457 so nyah nyah nyah :P