Author Topic: HSA Investing Options  (Read 1631 times)

saijoe

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
HSA Investing Options
« on: December 22, 2017, 10:24:48 AM »
My wife has had an HSA available since the first of the year.  She has and will fully fund it.  But from all she can gather, there's no option for investing.  It simply goes into a bank account and she uses a debit card on that account to pay for medical expenses.  I know that I've read on a lot of these websites that you should invest these funds, but how do you do it if your employer doesn't offer that as an option? 

walkwalkwalk

• Stubble
Re: HSA Investing Options
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2017, 10:40:15 AM »
You dont. You could look into rolling over to another provider but i think that wpuld be a hassle. In your case i wouldnt put money in an hsa unless you need it for medical expenses.

VoteCthulu

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2017, 12:08:51 PM »
It's probably not worth the hassle for the first year, but after you get a few thousand dollars I would suggest opening another account at Saturna or Lively and transferring money there to invest.

If you use Saturna, once or twice a year transfers will minimize the hassle and fees ($15 - 25 per transaction), or with Lively you can transfer and invest every paycheck for the regular $30/year account fee.

Radagast

• Magnum Stache
  • One Does Not Simply Work Into Mordor
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2017, 08:25:13 PM »
What my fellow posters are saying (in my words), is to save up in the employer's HSA for a year, then do a lump sum transfer to HSA of your choice to invest. Repeat every year.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!