Author Topic: How to get smarter. Read. A lot.  (Read 5561 times)

pac_NW

• Stubble
  • Have the stamina to work on it until it's right
    • Take Next Steps
How to get smarter. Read. A lot.
« on: March 02, 2014, 08:43:32 AM »
Given the posts on Warren Buffett's annual letter, I thought I would share this from a blog post I reread this morning.

http://theweek.com/article/index/248655/the-warren-buffett-formula-how-you-can-get-smarter

aj_yooper

• Handlebar Stache
Re: How to get smarter. Read. A lot.
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 09:00:53 AM »
Thanks.

Two concepts:  continuous learning by reading and be your own client 1 hour a day.

toga62

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 07:01:58 PM »
Being able to learn more is my biggest motivation to achieve FI.  I have a daily goal to learn something new for at least 10 minutes everyday, but my dream is to be able to spend as much time as I want every day on learning.  Just need to complete my speed reading improvement goal to help max out my learning :)

wtjbatman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 08:24:45 PM »
I don't appreciate his attack on Game of Thrones. I don't even have HBO, and even I think that show is fantastic ;)

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2014, 04:55:15 AM »
I read alot everyday on investing but just wish i could remember a heck of alot more of what i read. But i spend a couple hours a day reading about investing, companies to trade , strategies etc.. but it can be overwhelming at times. But just keep doing it. Who says you cant teach and old dog.......

hodedofome

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 07:58:41 AM »
I too would like to get to the point where most of my days are spent reading and learning. I'll be there one day, but I'd rather start today. For now though, gotta slug it out working for the man...

Milspecstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2014, 07:22:23 PM »
Someone told my wife that you can measure your child's future chance of success based on the size difference between the family's TV(s) and the family book collection.

greaper007

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2014, 08:14:00 PM »
Interesting, he doesn't say what he reads though.  I'm guessing it's not graphic novels...

Rob

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2014, 08:50:55 PM »
Someone told my wife that you can measure your child's future chance of success based on the size difference between the family's TV(s) and the family book collection.

That sounds like one of those made up statistics, but would be really interesting to read about if true.

DaKini

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2014, 04:25:48 AM »
I read alot everyday on investing but just wish i could remember a heck of alot more of what i read.
I have the same problem but a solution to it.

Read active:
Summarize the chapters after you have read them. If you cant explain in your own words what you just read, you need to read it again or the time invested was useless. Take your time contemplating what you have read and how it connects to already known facts, maybe you even find that it conflicts with older knowledge. Take time to resolve those.

Take notes while reading:
I nowadays always have a paper and a pencil that also serves as bookmark in the book im currently reading.
Taking notes includes to write down the chapters conclusion. It also anchores the new knowledge deeper in your brain.
I write my notes in a fashion like i would have nearly zero knowledge if i would read it in the future.
Be sure to note down the page of the book (and of course also the books title, author and ISBN for later reference).

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2014, 05:47:10 AM »
My perspective on reading also is that if I get one useful piece of information which actually changes my life (not just "oh that's interesting" but actually makes me different) from a book, it was still worth reading the book.

Anything additional is a bonus.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2014, 01:39:10 PM »
I read alot everyday on investing but just wish i could remember a heck of alot more of what i read.
I have the same problem but a solution to it.

Read active:
Summarize the chapters after you have read them. If you cant explain in your own words what you just read, you need to read it again or the time invested was useless. Take your time contemplating what you have read and how it connects to already known facts, maybe you even find that it conflicts with older knowledge. Take time to resolve those.

Take notes while reading:
I nowadays always have a paper and a pencil that also serves as bookmark in the book im currently reading.
Taking notes includes to write down the chapters conclusion. It also anchores the new knowledge deeper in your brain.
I write my notes in a fashion like i would have nearly zero knowledge if i would read it in the future.
Be sure to note down the page of the book (and of course also the books title, author and ISBN for later reference).

I do the note book thing because I think my index roledex in my head is full! But i have to try the first half of your suggestion.  I just think i have so much useless knowledge in my head there is no more room and at 49 it seems to get harder and harder each year to absorb things. Always have been a good note taker though!

Thanks for your suggestions!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!