Author Topic: How should I invest $13k for a healthy 74 year old?  (Read 1099 times)

shanaling

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
How should I invest $13k for a healthy 74 year old?
« on: February 13, 2021, 04:17:39 PM »
My father in law has $13k. He doesn’t have any anticipated large expenses. Everything is covered by insurance or government subsidies/food stamps. Putting the money in today’s savings account would just lose value over time. How should he invest/save his money?

achvfi

• Pencil Stache
  • Health is wealth
Re: How should I invest $13k for a healthy 74 year old?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2021, 07:18:50 PM »
Assuming there are no other piles of money, he can just use it as an emergency fund in a savings account. I dont see a point in investing in risky assets.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2021, 07:50:12 PM »
Yes, this is the important question. How much of an EF does he have, is this it? I might be willing to keep a $10K EF and invest the rest in, say, VT.

shanaling

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2021, 09:01:10 PM »
He doesn’t have other piles of money, unfortunately. Our plan was to put in EF but I just want to optimize for him. He is healthy and may see his money lose value in the next 10-20 years. But seems like EF is the way to go.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2021, 10:19:23 PM »
He doesn’t have other piles of money, unfortunately. Our plan was to put in EF but I just want to optimize for him. He is healthy and may see his money lose value in the next 10-20 years. But seems like EF is the way to go.

Putting 10~50% of it into an index fund might make sense to balance all the risks, that is, the risk of inflation vs the risk that he needs to use it.

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
  • Older than the internet, but not wiser... yet
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2021, 11:13:01 PM »

Putting 10~50% of it into an index fund might make sense to balance all the risks, that is, the risk of inflation vs the risk that he needs to use it.

For a can't-lose option, you could put 10k into i-bonds (if he's a US citizen). He wouldn't gain money in real terms, but it would be inflation protected and government guaranteed.

Overview:
https://www.treasurydirect.gov/indiv/products/prod_ibonds_glance.htm

Interest rates (bonds purchased now basically have interest at the rate of inflation):
https://www.treasurydirect.gov/indiv/research/indepth/ibonds/res_ibonds_iratesandterms.htm

A website discusses i-bonds:
https://www.thebalance.com/i-bonds-best-safe-investment-you-can-make-2388902

shanaling

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2021, 07:31:51 AM »
Great idea!

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
  • Older than the internet, but not wiser... yet
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2021, 02:54:12 PM »
If he were my relative, I'd put 5k in the first year. Once that's "seasoned" (available for withdrawal), I'd put in the other 5k. That way more money is available during the seasoning process. Interest lost would only be about 5,000 x 1.68% = $84. Just a thought.

shanaling

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2021, 05:00:59 PM »
Thanks!

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2021, 06:30:22 PM »
Don't invest it.

Your relative is in deep in the fourth quarter, down 30 points, and no timeouts remaining. He's not staging a comeback. Let him enjoy his final years as best he can with whatever he has today.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!