Poll

I was wondering how long it took you to switch your investments, or start investing with Vanguard?

I called my bank the next day or within a month.
29 (26.6%)
I took over a month but not more than 6 months to figure things out.
34 (31.2%)
I did about 6m to a year of research before I was convinced.
21 (19.3%)
I still haven't moved, but plan to soon...
17 (15.6%)
I will not go with Vanguard because I think __________ is better.
8 (7.3%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Author Topic: How long did it take you to start investing with Vanguard?  (Read 11826 times)

K-ice

• Pencil Stache
How long did it take you to start investing with Vanguard?
« on: August 18, 2015, 11:54:06 AM »
I was inspired by a "Vanguardian" post earlier today. As well as someone wanting to switch from Schwab.

Additionally, a relative asked me to look at their investments and we figured they are paying over 2% in fees (MER + portfolio management)

So, think back, when did you first hear about Vanguard?

I was wondering how long it took you to switch your investments, or start investing with Vanguard?

I don't think there can be an "all of the above" but in my case it is a bit hybrid.

My closest answer is (3)   I am now a "Vangaurdian" but I still have older investments elsewhere that I am keeping until they mature, or in order to diversify, or to avoid capital gains right now. 

But it took me about 1y until I said OK let’s start focusing my investing this way.

What about you?

KittyCat

• Stubble
Re: How long did it take you to start investing with Vanguard?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 12:01:11 PM »
I don't know what age I was, but my parents had Vanguard mail come in somewhat frequently, so I knew of their existence, just not what they were about. I guess my first real exposure was selecting where to put the money in my employer's 401k. I read about them briefly and went with a TR fund. After a few weeks of weighing my options (Vanguard, Betterment, WiseBanyan), I opened a RothIRA account with them earlier this month, and I am rolling over that 401k to an IRA now. I will start a brokerage account with them soon, after the money from the stocks sale is deposited to my savings.

Clean Shaven

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 12:06:20 PM »
Vanguard was where I started, at the recommendation of my parents -- I think the first thing I opened was a Roth IRA.

Later, I worked for an employer who used American Funds for their 401k, and that's how I learned about ridiculous expense ratios and fees.  The employer matching % made it worthwhile still, but once I left that job, I rolled everything over into a Vanguard IRA immediately.

The new (and still current) employer uses Vanguard for its 401k, so that's worked out well.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 05:27:15 PM »
I did not vote because I did not feel that your options fit my scenario. I opened a Roth IRA there because a professor told me it was far and away the best provider. So I just opened it online and mailed in a signed form and  a check (back in 2000 it was less automated).

innerscorecard

• Pencil Stache
    • Inner Scorecard - Where financial independence, value investing and life meet
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 08:02:55 PM »
Funny how I am the only person here who does not have a Vanguard account or plan on opening one.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2015, 08:11:59 PM »
My mother opened a Roth IRA there for me even before I was 18. Go mom!

AnAmericanAbroad

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2015, 08:38:24 PM »
It took me a while to be able to divest most of my holdings at eTrade before I started using Vanguard. Meaning I just had to wait for the international markets to crash...

mrpercentage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2015, 10:33:29 PM »
They have my attention. My 457 auto investing is 100% PAMCX. Its hard to beat really-- a closed well performing fund. Also do American funds for the kids. Vanguard did get my attention with some of their growth index funds. However, I already have a State 457, an American Funds Roth (family discounted NAV), a Scottrade Taxable, Robinhood Taxable, and an inactive empty Betterment account. I think it would take some serious mojo to get me to open another account at this point. I can still purchase their funds on Robinhood at no commission so I don't think a 0.03% savings (or whatever) of Admiral shares is worth the effort.

Cognitive Miser

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2015, 11:26:47 PM »
A co-worker told me about Vanguard literally my first week on the job out of college.  Three years later I opened my Roth.  It took me a while to just wrap my head around responsible personal finance, and, you know, learn how to be an adult.  I was young, single, and living in a big party town.  :)

birdman2003

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2015, 12:16:59 AM »
My employer's 401k plan and HSA is through Fidelity, and I opened my first Roth IRA account through Fidelity.  I also opened a personal brokerage account with them back when I was picking individual stocks.

Since finding MMM I have decided that I should not pick individual stocks, and stick with index funds for the majority of my investing portfolio.  I also found out about Vanguard through MMM and it took me about a month to decide that I wanted to open a Roth IRA and also personal brokerage account with Vanguard.  I eventually transferred my Fidelity Roth IRA funds over to the Vanguard Roth IRA.

Nothing to complain about with Fidelity, I just like Vanguard's offerings better.

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2015, 07:22:10 AM »
I prefer Fidelity. They have a more navigable website, their customer service is superior, and they have funds that are comparable in every meaningful way. My wife's IRA is with Vanguard, and I don't intend to move it, but I won't be switching my IRA from Fidelity.

oatsmagoats

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2015, 07:35:21 AM »
My parents opened a Roth IRA at Vanguard for me when I started my first job, so I've always been with Vanguard, too.

NorCal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2015, 07:40:46 AM »
Happy with Schwab.  I like their ability to calculate both money weighted and time weighted returns on your individual portfolio (which most brokerages seem to ignore), and their no commission ETF trades are nice.  Their proprietary funds are priced competitively with Vanguard.

Patrick A

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2015, 09:59:23 AM »
Day 0.  Thanks mom & dad

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2015, 10:08:29 AM »
Haven't yet, but plan to add Vanguard about mid 2016.

MrMoneyMaxwell

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2015, 02:46:22 PM »
I am currently in the process of switching my brokerage account from Betterment to Vanguard. I'm leaving my IRA with Betterment because it's not as large.

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2015, 02:53:22 PM »
Can't remember where I first heard of Vanguard, but I started my taxable investments there after opening my IRA at Janus several years earlier.  I had to start reading MMM a decade later before I got off my ass and moved everything from Janus.  Don't know why I waited so long, even ignored the lawsuit: http://www.investmentnews.com/article/20110619/REG/306199984/supreme-court-blocks-janus-market-timing-lawsuit I did eventually get a settlement check (different lawsuit?) for $10.99 though!

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2015, 02:56:39 PM »
Funny how I am the only person here who does not have a Vanguard account or plan on opening one.

You're not alone. I don't got one, neither. I have a TrowePrice IRA (opened when I was 16), and a TSP. After tax is with USAA. I don't have any plans to switch, but I might open a second after-tax account with Vanguard  someday.

KittyCat

• Stubble
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2015, 04:07:48 PM »
I am currently in the process of switching my brokerage account from Betterment to Vanguard. I'm leaving my IRA with Betterment because it's not as large.
I'm curious as to why you are switching- does the benefit of TLH for your portfolio not exceed the cost of the fees? I ask because I'm thinking about switching from Vanguard to Betterment or Wisebanyan someday.

Jellyfish

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2015, 04:49:17 PM »
Day 0.  Thanks mom & dad

+ 1 me too

Tigerpine

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2015, 05:44:53 PM »
My job uses Fidelity for its 401(k), but everything I've opened on my own is with Vanguard.  Both of my Vanguard accounts were opened within the past month.  That was after knowing about the MMM website for about a month.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2015, 05:35:26 AM »
Started with vanguard at the recommendation of my financially savvy grandparents.

money_bunny

• Stubble
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2015, 06:20:46 AM »
About 10 years ago. The Motley Fool had a book about investing post the 2000 crash, and they mentioned indexing and Vanguard. I opened a Roth once I got my first real job.

JetBlast

• Bristles
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2015, 08:37:40 AM »
Been with Vanguard since my first full time job. We had an option of either Vanguard or TIAA/CREF. I picked Vanguard because there were more funds available and my mom used them.

Now I have a Roth at Fidelity. The ERs on index funds are just as good so I figured I'd open it with them for the sake of diversity. Not in funds and holdings, but in provider.  Just in case one goes down for a few days from IT issues or some other crazy thing I haven't thought of yet. Maybe I'm strange, but I actually prefer the Vanguard site and app over Fido. I know where everything is from a decade of experience, where Fidelity I'm still learning where some things are hidden.

astvilla

• Stubble
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2015, 10:04:32 AM »
I heard about Vanguard as a kid many years ago from my dad who mentioned it, said it was bad, few choices, couldn't trade stocks.

Then I watched PBS's Retirement Gamble and forced my parents to watch.  It really made them think twice and consider Vanguard.  But even then, I didn't know much about Vanguard or investing at all. 

Once I started making money and contributed to a 401k, I stumbled here and learned all about Vanguard.  Then I was convinced and took probably a couple hours to set up and get an account.

pdxvandal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2015, 01:05:19 PM »
January 2007 ... about 8 years into my working career.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2015, 08:21:51 AM »
I've been with vanguard since day 1, Roth IRA back in 2011.

Proud Foot

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2015, 10:57:26 AM »
I did not answer your poll because there was not an option that I felt fit me.  I had always known about Vanguard but never had the extra money to open an investment account above my 401k contributions.  When I left that job I rolled over my account to Vanguard as soon as my last 401k contribution was deposited.

eta: I did hold Vanguard funds in that 401k.

dividendman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2015, 11:08:35 AM »

You're not alone. I don't got one, neither. I have a TrowePrice IRA (opened when I was 16), and a TSP. After tax is with USAA. I don't have any plans to switch, but I might open a second after-tax account with Vanguard  someday.

I use wells fargo because I get 100 free trades a year which I never even get close to using. Also my direct deposit and all my spending is done through my wells fargo credit cards so it simplifies things. But... all of the funds in my wells fargo brokerage are vanguard ETFs, so I guess i'm still with Vanguard.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2015, 11:49:36 AM »
There's no 401(k) option in the poll. Vanguard is my 401(k) fund manager.

K-ice

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2016, 04:02:04 PM »
So just an update to my OP.

I have been a Vangaurdian for a year.

I am still not the model investor but I am happy I am with Vanguard.

My 12 month trailing return is 3.39%.  Not the best year, wouldn't hold up to the 4% rule, but not the worst.

Overall, I didn't expect to make oodles of money but it is better than I would have earned in any GIC (CD).

Thanks for the help of people on this forum.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2016, 04:33:07 PM »
So just an update to my OP.

I have been a Vangaurdian for a year.

I am still not the model investor but I am happy I am with Vanguard.

My 12 month trailing return is 3.39%.  Not the best year, wouldn't hold up to the 4% rule, but not the worst.

Overall, I didn't expect to make oodles of money but it is better than I would have earned in any GIC (CD).

Thanks for the help of people on this forum.

You re looking at way too small a sample to compare one 365 day period to withdrawal rates

MVal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2016, 12:27:35 PM »
Other than my liquid savings account, 401K and HSA, my Roth IRA is the only thing I have invested with Vanguard. I started it with my bank before I knew about MMM and as soon as I heard how great it was, I switched over, but it took me a few months to actually get the job done.

Telecaster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2016, 12:41:56 PM »
I prefer Fidelity. They have a more navigable website, their customer service is superior, and they have funds that are comparable in every meaningful way. My wife's IRA is with Vanguard, and I don't intend to move it, but I won't be switching my IRA from Fidelity.

For some reason, I have accounts at both Fidelity and Vanguard.  Fidelity has better customer service, etc.  Vanguard is just fine for the way most people should invest, that is buy a nice index fund and check in three times a year. 

TL;DR:  Doesn't matter which one you use. 

chesebert

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2016, 01:01:31 PM »
Been with Vanguard for 6 years (took me a few months to set up and switch). Currently 20% with Vanguard and 80% with my financial adviser. Aggregate trailing 12 month return is 3.7% (ex dividend, which was about 2% during the same period). Allocation was on average 65/35 during the same period. IMO, reasonable risk/fee-adjusted return.

Going forward, I would like to have the split to be at 40/60 between Vanguard and FA, which means more money to Vanguard as I don't want to lower AUM with FA due the fee discount.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 01:08:15 PM by chesebert »