Author Topic: Holding a few individual stocks  (Read 1513 times)

joenorm

• Stubble
Holding a few individual stocks
« on: January 03, 2022, 07:59:38 AM »
If I want to purchase a few individual stocks can I do that through Vanguard(where I hold my Index funds)?

Or do I need something like Robinhood for individual stocks.

This is going to look like a really dumb question to most but I have never owned an individual stock so I am not sure how it works. It also makes me wonder why a platform like Robinhood exists if someone could do the same thing within their Vanguard(or Fidelity or wherever) account.

thanks

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Holding a few individual stocks
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2022, 08:21:18 AM »
Yes, you can buy stocks at Vanguard, either on their website or their app.
Robin Hood and the like are more for day trading than Vanguard.

goodmoneygoodlife

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Good Money Good Life
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2022, 08:35:54 AM »
For Vanguard, I mostly just purchase indices.

I use e-trade for my individual stock trades. And I'd recommend either e-trade or TD Ameritrade if you're trading with a lot of money since you can route your orders through IEX to prevent being frontrun/orderflow'd like you would on RobinYou.

joenorm

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2022, 07:04:13 PM »
Why use e-trade if you have the Vanguard account?

MustacheAndaHalf

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2022, 07:22:39 PM »
If I want to purchase a few individual stocks can I do that through Vanguard(where I hold my Index funds)?
If you're buying a large, well known company (TSLA, APPL, etc) it probably doesn't matter where you place the order.  If you're buying very small companies, or even stocks that aren't on the market, it matters a lot more.

Most brokers, including Vanguard, now charge $0/trade for stocks and ETFs.  I've placed hundreds of individual stock orders at Vanguard, and I'm happy with their execution (how they route and get good prices for orders, especially "market" orders).

Robinhood was founded in 2013, back when brokers charged for every trade.  So at the time, $0/trade was unusual, but now it's found everywhere.  Most brokers also support fractional shares on some ETFs.  Robinhood also offers fractional shares on stocks, which Vanguard does not.

EliteZags

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2022, 02:22:23 AM »
Vanguards interface is more archaic and less fluid, also no extended hours trading

have all my fund holdings taxable and roth there, but mainly use Webull for trading which can be done 1AM-4PM PST

joenorm

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2022, 01:50:40 PM »
Vanguards interface is more archaic and less fluid

This is so true, I'm amazed how dated their website feels

mistymoney

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2022, 03:23:11 PM »
Vanguards interface is more archaic and less fluid

This is so true, I'm amazed how dated their website feels

I'm not so concerned with the feel as the delay on stock price changes. That is really concerning!

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
  • Older than the internet, but not wiser... yet
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2022, 06:20:09 PM »
RobinHood is very popular with people new to trading because its interface is optimized to provide quick emotional rewards. The company uses that emotional enticement to promote frequent trades, because it profits on every trade. Lots of people of people use them because they find the experience pleasant or addicting.

Addicting is bad from a wealth standpoint because frequent trades tend to lead to losses more often than gains. Even in "free" stock purchases or sales here's always a hidden cost between you and your counterparty (the buyer when you're a seller, or vice versa). The intermediaries, such as RobinHood and the companies behind the scenes that they work with, always take their nibble. In addition, strategically, frequent trades tend to lead you to buy common away from the average price and most often the direction is negative.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2022, 06:20:27 AM »
What's your goal with this project?

Day-trading in individual stocks typically gets hate here. What about these companies is so compelling that you think investing the energy to do this will have an above-market return?

In my eTrade account, I have been selling puts, which reduces both the return and the risk.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!