Author Topic: Help with reinvesting a rollover 401K  (Read 721 times)

Huskers1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Help with reinvesting a rollover 401K
« on: March 29, 2020, 05:36:14 AM »
In January I lost my job , my wife and I are considering making this a point in our lives (I'm 60, she's 59) where we retire.

As luck would have it the paperwork shuffle required to move the 401K from my employer to Vangaurd (not V's fault-employeer did not complete the forms ) took longer than it should have . I was out of the market after the for most of the down turn.

Now for my question, I am sitting with the funds in the V settlement fund. When and how should I invest it?

I dont want to time this entry, but dumping all back in at once seems risky. So I have waited , I want to prtect the Principle but need 2-4% over the long hall to make retirement a reality.

Thanks in Advance 

Peachtea

• Bristles
Re: Help with reinvesting a rollover 401K
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2020, 07:37:39 AM »
I’d not time it, just dump everything back in per my asset allocation. If it makes you feel better just pick a random amount and interval to spread it out. Like a $1,000 or $5,000 every week on the same day (so you’re not tempted to time it).

terran

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2020, 10:09:05 AM »
You got very lucky and missed a large drop. Take the accidental win and get it all back in the market at an appropriate allocation for a new retiree.

Huskers1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2020, 05:03:05 PM »
thank you everyone. Great Advice