Author Topic: Help with asset allocation/ funds to use  (Read 1642 times)

moustache79

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Help with asset allocation/ funds to use
« on: February 29, 2016, 04:24:23 PM »
Need help choosing funds/etf's to invest for early retirement

I am maxing out 401k plus get a good match.  Total of approx $40k per year.  Invested mostly in equities.   Low cost mostly passive

I have about 1-2 years worth of expenses in deposit accounts earning about 2% on average

I expect to have a large amount of bonus income this year plus save over 50% of my salary. Total $100k plus to invest.  Large chunk coming in during next 1-3 months.  Historically I've been using fidelity and invested in a combination of stocks, etf's, mutual fubds, closed end funds. More recently i shifted about 30% of my portfolio to vanguard and investing in wellesley vwinx, vcsh and VIG.  I am looking to have a 60/40 stock bond allocation for my taxable accounts.  My total invested in fidelity/vanguard brokerage is $65k.  With this expected to possibly triple this year what funds/etf's ate best to manage and meet goals to semi-retire as early as 5 years?   

My only meaningful debt is $163k mortgage 15yr @3.375%.  14yrs to go. 

GrowingTheGreen

• Bristles
    • Growing The Green
Re: Help with asset allocation/ funds to use
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 05:05:07 PM »
If you're wanting to FIRE in 5, you'll want to go on the more conservative side. A 60/40 bond/stock mix may work well for you.

I am a two-fund guy: total stock market and total bond market.

Old Man Mase

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Old Man Mase
Re: Help with asset allocation/ funds to use
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2016, 09:30:04 AM »
It looks like you are positioning yourself well.  60/40 allocation seems reasonable.   I personally like a bit more stocks vs bonds, but that's just me. I'd say stick with what your plan is and you should be fine. If you feel comfortable with it i'd tackle the mortgage as well.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!