Author Topic: Help me with the Framework  (Read 2505 times)

MicroSpice

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Help me with the Framework
« on: June 26, 2012, 07:10:28 PM »
I am a newcomer to Mustachian ways, and devoured the entire history of the blog in a few nights' time. The hubs and I have got a long way to go, with lots of stupid past mistakes to overcome, but we're excited to be working our way out, however long it may take.

One problem I foresee in being able to reach a solid, early retirement is both my and my husband's aversion to knowing anything about the investing world and how it works. I was never taught any of these things, never had an interest in them, and pretty much have no clue what I'm doing.

We don't have money to invest right now (getting rolling on slashing the expenses and attacking the mountainous debt currently), but when we do, I want to be ready and have a plan in place, rather than trying to figure it out once we have the funds to do it. So, are there any good starter books or articles or blogs you recommend to help me wrap my brain around this stuff? I mean, I'm talking elementary, basic, low-level stuff. Any books will, of course, be borrowed from the library. Thanks in advance!

astadt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Help me with the Framework
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 10:44:24 PM »
Welcome MMN!

Despite how you may feel, investing confidently isnt as difficult as it seems. There will always be risks involved and the first step in any investment plan should always be determining your risk tolerance and goals.

A great website to check out is http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Bogleheads®_investing_start-up_kit

The guys and gals over at Bogleheads have a very Mustasian attitude towards investing.

Youre in the right place for any tips and advice to trim away to free up that needed capital. For any specific advice you should post your financial situation on the Ask a Mustashian section and you will get plenty of help and could get a constructive punch in the financial face.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
Re: Help me with the Framework
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 07:12:34 AM »
MMM's articles on index funds and asset allocation have nearly everything you'll need to know to get by. If you want to actually learn about finance out of curiosity, of course, there are plenty of people willing to recommend a substantial reading pile...