Author Topic: Help converting Vanguard ETFs to New Commission-free ETFs at TD Ameritrade  (Read 2822 times)

maxpower

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Assuming TD Ameritrade's new commission-free ETF list, does anyone know off the top of their heads what the best matches would be for:

VTI
VBR
VEU
VWO
and
BND

I'm trying to decide whether or not to convert my Vanguard funds at TD, or to move the whole she-bang to another brokerage like Merrill Edge and jump through a bunch of hoops to continue investing in my Vanguard ETFs commission free ETFs.

Sorry for trying to outsource a bit of research, but I'm running like mad trying to get our house finished up enough to move in. I'd really appreciate any insight!

NoStacheOhio

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Help converting Vanguard ETFs to New Commission-free ETFs at TD Ameritrade
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 09:19:23 AM »
If you want to hold Vanguard funds, why not just hold them at Vanguard?

maxpower

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 03:03:40 PM »

They charge commission fees for each ETF trade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3mNewb

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2017, 07:55:00 AM »
Assuming TD Ameritrade's new commission-free ETF list, does anyone know off the top of their heads what the best matches would be for:

VTI
VBR
VEU
VWO
and
BND

I'm trying to decide whether or not to convert my Vanguard funds at TD, or to move the whole she-bang to another brokerage like Merrill Edge and jump through a bunch of hoops to continue investing in my Vanguard ETFs commission free ETFs.

Sorry for trying to outsource a bit of research, but I'm running like mad trying to get our house finished up enough to move in. I'd really appreciate any insight!

These aren’t perfect matches because of differences in the index tracked but...
VTI — SPTM
VBR — SLYV
VEU — SPDW
VWO — SPEM
BND — SPAB

terran

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2017, 08:10:56 AM »

They charge commission fees for each ETF trade.

Not on vanguard ETFs https://investor.vanguard.com/investing/trading-fees-commissions

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2017, 07:59:23 PM »
There are some things to consider that I had to weigh.  My son has a Roth, so he made the conversion.  My wife and I have taxables with only VTI in each.  I had to simmer down and realize that the only fee is going to be a single transaction fee.  Both or our accounts are new, so if we were to convert, we'd be hit with short term cap gains.  No thanks.  We'll be holding VTI and just let it ride for now.

terran

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2017, 08:22:34 PM »
There are some things to consider that I had to weigh.  My son has a Roth, so he made the conversion.  My wife and I have taxables with only VTI in each.  I had to simmer down and realize that the only fee is going to be a single transaction fee.  Both or our accounts are new, so if we were to convert, we'd be hit with short term cap gains.  No thanks.  We'll be holding VTI and just let it ride for now.

Why would you have short term capital gains? You should be able to transfer in kind without selling.

maxpower

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2017, 08:03:07 AM »
Not on vanguard ETFs https://investor.vanguard.com/investing/trading-fees-commissions

Oh man, Really? I even called them a week or so ago and asked them about that. Perhaps they misunderstood me? Anyway, thanks so much for that conversion list!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk