Author Topic: have you ever worked as an assistant for a financial advisor?  (Read 3682 times)

WhoopWhoop

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
have you ever worked as an assistant for a financial advisor?
« on: September 07, 2014, 07:24:27 PM »
I used to work as a secretary for a small, independent financial advisor. As a result I learned A LOT about the financial industry and what an advisor can/can't do for you.

Anyone else have experience working for a money manager of some sort? What did you learn?

I'm thinking about interviewing people and writing a series of stories. I'd especially be curious to hear from someone who worked for a mutual fund manager. I'm so curious about how they organize their day and make decisions about what to buy and sell.

Yankuba

• Handlebar Stache
Re: have you ever worked as an assistant for a financial advisor?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 08:39:01 PM »
I was an intern for a financial planner. I learned that the job was 90 percent sales. And you sold the products with the highest fees. It was a good internship because I learned the business was not for me - a Boglehead.

usmarine1975

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 08:34:36 AM »
I am the Client Services Manager for a fee based firm.  Great experience for me.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 12:06:04 PM »
I learned that the job was 90 percent sales. And you sold the products with the highest fees.

Heh.  Too bad the clients never discovered that insight.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Bank

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 12:39:09 PM »
About 15 years ago I was an inside sales rep for a mutual fund company.  Basically, I helped convince FA's to sell the company's funds.  I was good at it, but I only lasted about 18 months before I quit -- ostensibly to attend business school, but really because I couldn't handle the stress anymore.  Cognitive dissonance between actions and values, don'tcha know. 

Let me know if you have questions.

mchap

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2014, 01:55:20 PM »
I was an assistant for a CFP, with the intention of becoming one myself. I agree with the prior comments out it being 90% sales. I spent most of my time scheduling expensive lunches for my boss where the fund company reps would foot the bill. They sell the most expensive funds as a result. No big mystery there. It's a stressful job though when the market is down :). The FA spent a lot on parties and printing calendars etc for his clients. Didn't they ever think that that's why their fees are so high.

WhoopWhoop

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2014, 10:31:34 PM »
Great! I'll PM you guys tomorrow morning and see if you're interested in sharing a few stories about your job.

hodedofome

• Handlebar Stache

WhoopWhoop

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2014, 08:41:58 AM »
For an inside look at the brokerage business, this is a good one http://www.amazon.com/Backstage-Wall-Street-Insider%252019s-Investments/dp/007178232X/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1410355245&sr=8-2&keywords=joshua+brown

It's so funny how all these insider books are exposes. My experience was kind of a mixed bag. I worked for a fee-only financial planner. I could smell a little stank from the industry as a whole creeping in... And the occasional thing was unethical (in my opinion) in the office, but not like stealing-people's-money unethical...
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 08:45:45 AM by WhoopWhoop »

Proud Foot

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2014, 12:32:43 PM »
Like many others have said above, I spent a summer interning in a CFP's office. Going into college and until that summer this was what I wanted to do. After that summer I decided to change my direction as I am not a natural salesman and I saw the majority of his job was selling a product. He worked for a national organization and I realized I would prefer to work in the background doing the research and analysis to make the recommendations to the advisors for which funds to push to the clients. (Not actually what I ended up doing). I also did not like how the structure was set up where the typical office for this organization was only the advisor and an office administrator and I knew I wanted a larger office setting to start my career.