Author Topic: Has the market lost its mind?  (Read 17362 times)

dougules

• Magnum Stache
Has the market lost its mind?
« on: June 01, 2017, 02:51:39 PM »
So the market made another big jump today on top of how far it's already risen.  Am I the only one that feels like we're rocketing deeper and deeper into bubble territory?  For those of you that have already pulled the plug, this is great news.  On the other hand, it's going to be a bit difficult for me to buy my regular payday batch of mutual funds tomorrow.  Does anybody here have any thoughts that make these prices seem vaguely sane? 

sirdoug007

• Pencil Stache
Re: Has the market lost its mind?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 03:02:18 PM »
So the market made another big jump today on top of how far it's already risen.  Am I the only one that feels like we're rocketing deeper and deeper into bubble territory?  For those of you that have already pulled the plug, this is great news.  On the other hand, it's going to be a bit difficult for me to buy my regular payday batch of mutual funds tomorrow.  Does anybody here have any thoughts that make these prices seem vaguely sane?

The value of the stock market is fundamentally the net present value of the earnings of the companies making up the market.  And earnings are rising.  S&P500 1q2017 earnings were up about 11%.

I also think this article has some very good points about how the market has been acting in recent years: http://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik/la-fi-hiltzik-market-corrections-20170530-story.html

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2017, 03:02:58 PM »
My investments are on auto pilot so I don't look at what the market is doing. I recommend the same approach to you.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2017, 03:10:10 PM »
Many people share your view.  It is perfectly understandable.  I think there are a lot of people (including me) who would not be surprised at all to see a pullback or correction in the near future.

That being said, the market is exactly that - a market - and the fact that the price level is where it is represents the result of everyone's opinions.  So for everyone who is worried at this level, there are those who think it is a good idea to buy.

Here are some positives:

1.  Inflation is currently low and stable.  Under 2%.

2.  The job market is at full employment.  I think the unemployment level is at 4.4% or so, which may even be over full employment.

3.  Although North Korea and ISIS represent risk, the geopolitical climate is relatively peaceful and has been for a while and seems likely to continue in the future.

4.  China and India, with their growing economies, are minting a couple billion lower-to-middle class consumers who will create tremendous global demand.

5.  With fracking, natural gas, and new pipelines, the US is becoming a net energy exporter and by being an additional energy producer will bring some longer-term stability to energy prices.

6.  There is the potential for lower business taxes and the repatriation of billions of overseas dollars.

7.  Technology continues to provide efficiency/productivity dividends as well as business opportunities in almost every industry.

8.  The economy in Europe as a whole seems to be improving lately.

9.  We have a positive yield curve.

10.  The Fed policy seems pretty clear and consistent and reasonable.  I don't think the market will be surprised any time soon by the Fed's actions.

11.  The market on a PE basis is about average valued on a TTM basis and is possibly undervalued on a forward-looking consensus PE basis.

12.  Companies are, for the most part, meeting expectations and maintaining or in some cases raising forward guidance.

13.  Mortgage interest rates are relatively low.

Yes, I know people will disagree with these items above:  they are overrated, they are not positives but negatives, or they are overcome by other negative factors.  I recognize all that.  I'm not particularly interested in the debate.  All I am trying to do is answer the OP's last question.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2017, 03:38:31 PM »
Did it go up because DT just pulled out of the Paris agreement so businesses are free to continue BAU with CO2 emissions without cost?

Short term jolt upwards, but long term... one day chickens will come home to roost.

mjr

• Bristles
  • Retired at 52
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2017, 04:25:53 PM »
COP 21 is a non-binding virtue signalling talk fest run by UN bureaucrats designed to punish developed countries and incents said developed countries to move its industries to lesser developed countries whose efficiencies and environmental controls are less than in developed countries.

Whether you believe in anthropogenic climate change or not, COP 21 is a useless lumbering accord.  Good on Trump for calling it out.

In any case, the bump in the US market today was probably more due to the favourable jobs report than Trump pulling out of Paris.

Either way, this why I bought a bunch of ASX:VTS after Trump's election.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 05:01:33 PM by mjr »

fattest_foot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2017, 05:01:07 PM »
COP 21 is a non-binding virtue signalling talk fest run by UN bureaucrats designed to punish developed countries and incents said developed countries to move its industries to lesser developed countries whose efficiencies and environmental controls are less than in developed countries.

Whether you believe in anthropogenic climate change or not, COP 21 is a useless lumbering accord.  Good on Trump for calling it out.

This is why I bought a whole bunch of VTS after Trump's  election

The non-binding part is the key. There's no repercussions to it, so it's toothless. All it does is increase the cost of doing business in the countries that adopt it.

I get the desire to do more for the environment, but that's not the solution.

CmFtns

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2017, 05:22:43 PM »
The same thing is always said every time the market is going up yet it still goes up even after those posts most of the time. There will be times when you invest thousands of dollars and then the market tanks but in order to avoid that one time you also must avoid all the times when you put money in and it rose for 2 or 3 or 4+ years.

I have pleaded with my dad to invest large sums of cash he has sitting around back in 2015 and he said he was waiting for the big drop. Again I told him to dump money in the market at beginning of 2016 after the drop and he said he was waiting for the big drop, Then i told him again after the market came up 15% and he said the election was going to cause too much volatility and he was waiting for a big drop and now we're up 15% more.

blah blah blah ... repeat quote about the market can stay irrational for long time

It doesn't need explaining... just don't time the market

just go back and search MMM forums for "OMG MARKET IS CRAZY" during different time periods like 2012 and 2013 and 2014 and you'll see this same exact post.

CmFtns

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2017, 05:47:17 PM »
just go back and search MMM forums for "OMG MARKET IS CRAZY" during different time periods like 2012 and 2013 and 2014 and you'll see this same exact post.

Here you go:

January 18, 2013 SP500 = 1,485.98
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/investor-alley/buy-stocks-while-market-is-high/

May 06, 2014 SP500 = 1,867.72
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/investor-alley/stock-market-is-high-am-i-too-late/

Dec 12, 2014 SP500 = 2,002.33   
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/investor-alley/wait-for-correction/

Jun 30, 2015 SP500 = 2,061.19   
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/investor-alley/stock-market-sucks-right-continue-contributing-to-roth-ira/

May 8, 2016 SP500 = 2,057.14
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/investor-alley/indexing-sucks/

Jun 1, 2017 SP500 = 2,430.06   
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/investor-alley/has-the-market-lost-its-mind/
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 05:51:52 PM by CmFtns »

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
  • Location: A poor and backward Southern state known as minimum wage country
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2017, 08:18:22 PM »
^ Beautiful work CmFtns. Did you bookmark those as a reminder for yourself or look them up just now?

For the O.P, there are a few strategies to lock in gains while still staying fully invested. However, there is a minor price to be paid. All will underperform the indexes when the market is rising.

1) Set up an options collar, so that you give up some upside (which you suspect is illusionary) by selling calls in exchange for downside protection by buying puts. This can be done in a way that breaks even. The very real risk is that you will underperform a fast-rising market and have your shares called away for less than you can buy them back. Then you'd need a plan for step 2. Go back in and repeat?

2) Conditional orders to move you into lower-volatility investments such as bond or preferred stock funds if the market declines to X level. This is a very risky strategy, because you might inadvertantly set yourself up to sell at the bottom. Also, you'd have to get the timing just right twice - exit right before the crash and re-enter right before the rebound. Simple, but unlikely to work.

3) Sell everything and spend about 10% of your portfolio buying long-duration call options on SPY (or do a bull spread for major leverage). Put the rest in cash or short term bonds. If in a year the market is substantially higher, you could harvest as much of the upside as if you were fully invested. If not, you only lose a maximum of 10% of your portfolio as your position expires worthless.

4) Sell everything, then sell cash-covered put options each month in an attempt to get assigned at a lower price point. It's possible to earn 10% doing this even if the market is flat, while still taking a 1-5% bite out of your losses if the market does crash. The risk is getting assigned during a crash, but that's still lower risk than buy n hold because you'd be assigned stock at a lower price than you originally sold stock.

As you can see, the price of protection in any of these strategies is high enough that they just about break even with bond funds. This observation illustrates how efficient the markets for risk are. Buy more risk means get more return. Yet, if you are in a panic, these strategies are better than watching cash rot because you can still catch some of the upside.

Mac_MacGyver

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2017, 08:22:30 PM »
Yep

CmFtns

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2017, 11:41:13 PM »
^ Beautiful work CmFtns. Did you bookmark those as a reminder for yourself or look them up just now?

Hah thanks, I just looked them up now searched for stuff like "market high" and "correction" on MMM forums with google and picked a few from different dates.

Jamese20

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2017, 02:00:13 AM »
its very understandable to think this now considering we are seeing 14-18% average returns over the last 5 years (god i wish i started 5 years ago!)

next year i will be ready to start aggressively investing every month towards FIRE - if i hit a decade of these type of returns (dreaming i know) i will be set for life!

here is hoping a huge crash comes late this year :)

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2017, 07:17:54 AM »
On the other hand, it's going to be a bit difficult for me to buy my regular payday batch of mutual funds tomorrow. 

So what are you going to do stuff the cash in your mattress and wait for "The Big One" to get it invested? Just buy your MFs and get on with your life. You can't predict the market, but you can lose money trying.

MichaelB

• Stubble
  • FIRE goal: April 2032
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2017, 07:31:07 AM »
It certainly is fair to point out that US valuations are quite high, compared with usual historical levels. Of course, there's no law that says any particular PE ratio is "normal" or "correct". History is the only guide we have, but at the same time, past performance is not predictive of future returns. And once a particular effect or trick (think something like smart beta) gets noticed, people start investing according to that new knowledge, which then changes the way the market behaves. The act of observing something changes it. Hence the active manager's difficulty!

If you are concerned about US valuations, then go international if it makes you feel better. The valuations there are much more in line with historic norms, and you need the diversification anyways. But whatever you do, don't stop investing if you're in the accumulation phase. The markets are simply going to do better over the next 15-30 years than your savings account.

shotgunwilly

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2017, 07:45:17 AM »
Bubble?  We're nowhere close to a bubble.

andysandp

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2017, 08:16:22 AM »
If we don't hit 8% Real Returns for the next 10 years, then we will have the worst 30 year Real Return in history!

From August 1929- August 1959, the Real Return after adjusting for Inflation was 6.049%.  I think that's the worst 30 year in history.

The last 20 years, the Real Returns adjusted for Inflation was 5.102%.

That means if we don't hit 8% Real Returns for the next 10 years, then we will have the worst 30 year Real Return in history!!

https://dqydj.com/sp-500-return-calculator/

Bart1ma3u5

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2017, 08:46:29 AM »

Here you go:

January 18, 2013 SP500 = 1,485.98
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/investor-alley/buy-stocks-while-market-is-high/

May 06, 2014 SP500 = 1,867.72
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/investor-alley/stock-market-is-high-am-i-too-late/

Dec 12, 2014 SP500 = 2,002.33   
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/investor-alley/wait-for-correction/

Jun 30, 2015 SP500 = 2,061.19   
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/investor-alley/stock-market-sucks-right-continue-contributing-to-roth-ira/

May 8, 2016 SP500 = 2,057.14
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/investor-alley/indexing-sucks/

Jun 1, 2017 SP500 = 2,430.06   
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/investor-alley/has-the-market-lost-its-mind/

This is awesome! It really illustrates how, the big drop now would still make it worth it in most cases to have been invested all along!

SeattleCPA

• Handlebar Stache
    • Evergreen Small Business
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2017, 09:01:14 AM »
If we don't hit 8% Real Returns for the next 10 years, then we will have the worst 30 year Real Return in history!

From August 1929- August 1959, the Real Return after adjusting for Inflation was 6.049%.  I think that's the worst 30 year in history.

That means if we don't hit 8% Real Returns for the next 10 years, then we will have the worst 30 year Real Return in history!!

"Worst" depends on the term, asset allocation, etc. but for the set of calculations that I did for the 150 years of retirement plan outcomes line chart shared in another thread and the "you need a retirement plan b" series of blog posts I did last week, the worst 35-year savings results were 1920 and 1921 with real returns of roughly 1% annually.

BTW, the most recent bad 35 year result was 1981... had you finished your accumulation at that point after 35 years, you'd be looking at about 2.6% annually.

Here's link that post:

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/investor-alley/150-years-of-retirement-plan-outcomes/

P.S. The best 35-year real returns I calculate are for accumulations ending in '98, '99 and '00. Those three years showed someone getting a 35 annual real return of about 8%.

P.P.S. I was using a 75% stocks and 25% bonds allocation.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2017, 11:17:43 AM »
If you want to make money in the stock market, its going to have to go up.

True, but not if it goes up before I can buy.

Many people share your view.  It is perfectly understandable.  I think there are a lot of people (including me) who would not be surprised at all to see a pullback or correction in the near future.

That being said, the market is exactly that - a market - and the fact that the price level is where it is represents the result of everyone's opinions.  So for everyone who is worried at this level, there are those who think it is a good idea to buy.

Here are some positives:

Yes, I know people will disagree with these items above:  they are overrated, they are not positives but negatives, or they are overcome by other negative factors.  I recognize all that.  I'm not particularly interested in the debate.  All I am trying to do is answer the OP's last question.

I agree with all that, and I'm actually very positive on the economy in general.  It just seems like the relationship between what companies are earning vs what they're priced at has gone from predicting a good economy to expecting a stratospheric economy. 

The same thing is always said every time the market is going up yet it still goes up even after those posts most of the time. There will be times when you invest thousands of dollars and then the market tanks but in order to avoid that one time you also must avoid all the times when you put money in and it rose for 2 or 3 or 4+ years.

I have pleaded with my dad to invest large sums of cash he has sitting around back in 2015 and he said he was waiting for the big drop. Again I told him to dump money in the market at beginning of 2016 after the drop and he said he was waiting for the big drop, Then i told him again after the market came up 15% and he said the election was going to cause too much volatility and he was waiting for a big drop and now we're up 15% more.

blah blah blah ... repeat quote about the market can stay irrational for long time

Yes, I know.  I have no idea what is actually going to happen.  I'm more trying to make sense of where it is. In those past people's defense, it seems like the market was already moving into overheated in 2012-14, but it has kept right on going.  Just for history, the market was already getting past itself in the early 90s, but if you'd done anything other stick to the plan you would have done worse than if you had just hung on and rode the bubble. 

On that note, I still bought in this morning.  I'm just crossing my fingers for it to drop before the end of the day. 

On the other hand, it's going to be a bit difficult for me to buy my regular payday batch of mutual funds tomorrow. 

So what are you going to do stuff the cash in your mattress and wait for "The Big One" to get it invested? Just buy your MFs and get on with your life. You can't predict the market, but you can lose money trying.

No.  One thing that seems to put everything in perspective is that there really aren't a whole lot of other options with interest rates being so low.  I don't want another rental house, personally.  And the worst case scenario that could "correct" everything is high inflation like in the 60s and 70s, so cash is actually quite risky. 

It certainly is fair to point out that US valuations are quite high, compared with usual historical levels. Of course, there's no law that says any particular PE ratio is "normal" or "correct". History is the only guide we have, but at the same time, past performance is not predictive of future returns. And once a particular effect or trick (think something like smart beta) gets noticed, people start investing according to that new knowledge, which then changes the way the market behaves. The act of observing something changes it. Hence the active manager's difficulty!

If you are concerned about US valuations, then go international if it makes you feel better. The valuations there are much more in line with historic norms, and you need the diversification anyways. But whatever you do, don't stop investing if you're in the accumulation phase. The markets are simply going to do better over the next 15-30 years than your savings account.

If valuations stay high forever, then won't returns have to be low forever?  You're buying X dollars/year/share of return whether the share costs you$5 or $30.  Maybe we've entered an era when a company can reinvest a dollar and get two dollars worth of return on that reinvestment. 

As for international, I'm actually buying VTSAX and VTIAX roughly by market weight.  Of course if US markets are high, that throws the weighting out a little. 

dividendman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2017, 12:33:52 PM »

This is the critical point - what is the better alternative?

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2017, 02:00:22 PM »
Of course it's always worth noting that for a 30 year period, our total data set is only 5 times longer than the period we're measuring for. A statistician would tell you that's a pretty shitty pool if you're looking for reliability that the extreme 30-year periods really are extreme cases. But you're dead by the time we have substantially more years for a better data set so you just have to work the numbers/math we do have and forget about the rest of it (e.g. Entering a new era where P/E numbers don't imply cheap/expensive like they used to, etc.).
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 02:02:52 PM by Mr. Green »

anisotropy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2017, 02:51:19 PM »
To the moon!

Just keep buying until I say otherwise.

;)

PizzaSteve

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2017, 03:25:41 PM »
This is perfect example of why the average investor earns below market average returns.  Behavioral errors cause them to stop buying during bull runs and selling in panic at a bottom, during bear markets, then with money on the sidelines they miss bounce back recoveries.  Rinse, repeat.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2017, 03:45:21 PM »
To the moon!

Just keep buying until I say otherwise.

;)

I'll be looking for Your signal.

This is perfect example of why the average investor earns below market average returns.  Behavioral errors cause them to stop buying during bull runs and selling in panic at a bottom, during bear markets, then with money on the sidelines they miss bounce back recoveries.  Rinse, repeat.

Well, I still bought in today despite the market going up yet again.  I just wish prices would take a breather. 

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2017, 03:52:21 PM »
Dare I say it?  TOP IS IN!!!

CmFtns

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2017, 04:11:13 PM »

Yes, I know.  I have no idea what is actually going to happen.  I'm more trying to make sense of where it is. In those past people's defense, it seems like the market was already moving into overheated in 2012-14, but it has kept right on going.  Just for history, the market was already getting past itself in the early 90s, but if you'd done anything other stick to the plan you would have done worse than if you had just hung on and rode the bubble. 

On that note, I still bought in this morning.  I'm just crossing my fingers for it to drop before the end of the day. 

Glad to hear it, me too +$1,000 into the portfolio today. Keep on the good path buddy.

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2017, 04:23:00 PM »
I made $1,000 today by not selling yesterday.

Funny how we don't give ourselves credit for our decisions of omission. Had I made $500 day-traded a tech stock while sitting 90% in cash, I'd consider myself brilliant.

k-vette

• Bristles
    • Bolton Ebikes
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2017, 05:07:11 PM »
With all of these threads there's one thing that bothers me....

If you're worried about a drop, why don't you just set a stop loss on your portfolio?  If the market drops, you sell and buy the shares back at a lower price.

I do this on a regular basis.   I have stop losses set on everything.  I inch them higher as the market goes higher.  Every once in a while there's a small drop and it triggers a sale.  I always buy back at the lower price and continue holding.

I have two stock portfolios currently.   One is a retirement account with a total stock market index fund.  One is a fund I started for my kids college, etc.  They are currently 3 and 5, so I'm exposing myself to significantly more risk to make more money in that account.  It's not necessary, just something I want to do for them.  Using a variation of the simple "buy and hold with stop losses" I'm up 11.75% in the last month.  The rising market prices are making a killing.  Very soon I expect my "fun" account which I started 1 year ago, to surpass my retirement account I started 7 years ago.

PizzaSteve

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2017, 05:41:14 PM »

If you're worried about a drop, why don't you just set a stop loss on your portfolio?  If the market drops, you sell and buy the shares back at a lower price.

I do this on a regular basis.   I have stop losses set on everything.  I inch them higher as the market goes higher.  Every once in a while there's a small drop and it triggers a sale.  I always buy back at the lower price and continue holding.

I have two stock portfolios currently.   One is a retirement account with a total stock market index fund.  One is a fund I started for my kids college, etc.  They are currently 3 and 5, so I'm exposing myself to significantly more risk to make more money in that account.  It's not necessary, just something I want to do for them.  Using a variation of the simple "buy and hold with stop losses" I'm up 11.75% in the last month.  The rising market prices are making a killing.  Very soon I expect my "fun" account which I started 1 year ago, to surpass my retirement account I started 7 years ago.

Stop loss is a trading technique, not approptriate for most here who are long term investors.   

A long term investor wants exposure to market returns 100% of the time. 

A stop loss takes you out of the market, exposing one to lower returns.  Just when would you buy back in without it being market timing 2.0. Market timing generally works until it doesnt.  Are you adjusting for taxes or trying to tax loss / gain harvest?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 05:44:02 PM by PizzaSteve »

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2017, 06:12:38 PM »

Again, no, it's not true.  This has been covered in your previous thread.

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2017, 07:43:22 PM »

Stop loss is a trading technique, not approptriate for most here who are long term investors.   

A long term investor wants exposure to market returns 100% of the time. 

A stop loss takes you out of the market, exposing one to lower returns.  Just when would you buy back in without it being market timing 2.0. Market timing generally works until it doesnt.  Are you adjusting for taxes or trying to tax loss / gain harvest?

There is the big assumption that after your stop loss is triggered, the market falls some more, then you buy near the bottom of the dip, and then it goes back up. That's a lot of ifs that have to align.

Rather than making all those assumptions work, why not just sell cash-covered puts?

Example:
SPY closed at 244.17 today. (I will continue using June 2 actual numbers from here on.)

Instead of buying 100 shares at $24,417, sell one put option at the 244 strike and the June 30 expiration for $242 total (today's last price).
In 28 days, the option will either expire worthless (if SPY is above 244) and you keep the $242 OR you end up buying your 100 shares of SPY for the strike price minus the option premium received (244-2.42=241.58 per share, or almost 1% cheaper than if you purchased the shares today). 1% savings on your purchase doesn't sound like much, but when earned in 28 days, that's equivalent to about a 12% annualized ROI, which sounds fantastic.

If you keep the $242 you made in 28 days using $24,000 of cash, your annualized return is (365/28*242)/24,000 or 13.1%.

The IFs in this scenario are:
     IF the stock is above 244 at expiry, you make about 13% annualized, and you can repeat the strategy next month.
     IF the stock goes below 244, you get assigned at a lower price than you would have originally paid, "earning" savings equivalent to ~12% annualized.
     IF you get assigned, your losses are the market price minus your basis, which is 244-2.42.
     IF you get assigned, you can turn around and write a call option to recoup much of your losses the next month. Calls generally sell for more than puts!

Your risk of being assigned cannot be estimated based on historical data, but for perspective the market has only gone down 1% or more in 13 of the last 50 months.
https://ycharts.com/indicators/sp_500_monthly_return

LAGuy

• Bristles
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2017, 11:03:04 PM »
This post really demonstrates just how damaged people's psyches were by the crashes that happened through the 2000's. "Past performance does not guarantee future results" is a two way street. Based on the markets history over the past 15 years, everybody thinks that epic crashes every few years is a normal occurrence, but in reality they don't actually happen all that often. And terrible decades like the 2000's come along even less frequently. That's why I'm just not feeling the bubble talk today...far too many people are still on the sidelines, gun shy, etc, to really push the market into bubble territory.

I feel bad for everybody on the sidelines today. Everyone talks about how great the 80's and 90's were for baby boomer investors, but our generations (mine, gen X and the Millennials as well) just saw our own roaring market. And if you want to continue the parallel, with the 70's = the 2000's, then we could still be in for another 10 years of spectacular growth before finally seeing another meltdown that at the end of the day merely knocks down the final 3 years of that growth. I'm sure throughout the entire 80's everybody was talking about how out of their mind Wall Street was. Hell, they made a movie of that same name to document the "excess", but these days everybody seems to think investing in '81 was a no brainer.

Jamese20

• Stubble
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2017, 01:26:19 AM »
i personally hope for a large 50% crash at the end of the year for a couple of years so i can buy loads of cheap stocks!

in order for us to progress the market has to have a period of large growth like history tells us, so the current high st some point will become a low in the future

people always mention CAPE but i dont think this is reliable, if it was then people could time the markets its not a science. I do however think it has to do with interest rates and whilst interest rates are reasonable i can see this steady growth continuing.

also i have learning that it doesnt matter when you buy as long as you dont sell! selling kills you whole plan of success

AlmstRtrd

• Stubble
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2017, 05:55:45 AM »

The answers to the OP's question so far strike me as mostly falling into the "You just have to have balls of steel" category.

If holding more stock at this point makes you uncomfortable, to me it makes the most sense to diversify away from stocks.

As a starting point check out this article on cash from Tyler's site portfoliocharts.com:

https://portfoliocharts.com/2017/05/12/understanding-cash-will-make-you-a-better-and-happier-investor/

In short, holding cash, assuming that it is not just jammed under the mattress but actually invested in short-term instruments, has historically not been a terrible casualty of inflation. Cash has actually tracked inflation reasonable well as rates/inflation rise.

To me (and maybe this is just because I am older than most on here) investing can be looked at as "what percentage of my invested
assets can I hold in stocks without freaking out?" I don't think people can honestly say that figure is 100% unless they have maintained an all-stock portfolio during a mid-range bear like 2000-2002 or a shorter "crash" version like 2008-2009.

In this thread people talk about "the market" as if there is only one market. We all know there are many. Holding uncorrected assets can smooth out returns (and yes, in many cases "smoothing" means "lowering") over time. Investing is not all about maximizing returns in the long run no matter what. Being comfortable with what you hold and count on to be there for you and your family for many years is incredibly important. Just my humble opinion, obviously.

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2017, 07:23:20 AM »
i personally hope for a large 50% crash at the end of the year for a couple of years so i can buy loads of cheap stocks!
Actually you don't hope for this scenario. 2008 was a 50% drop. If that happened for a couple years in a row the whole system would've collapsed. Your money would have disappeared like light getting sucked into a black hole.

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2017, 07:27:39 AM »
In a fire sale, a stop loss may not save you. Price could fall so fast that you may find the going rate below your stop loss before the trade can be executed. Then you're riding it down just like everyone else. Some risk may have been eliminated with the recent additions of circuit breakers that stop trading after so much loss to prevent simple fear from over zealously driving prices down but it's still there when the market is in a free fall.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2017, 07:51:39 AM »
Actually you don't hope for this scenario. 2008 was a 50% drop. If that happened for a couple years in a row the whole system would've collapsed. Your money would have disappeared like light getting sucked into a black hole.

I never route for a system-wide collapse. I admit I profited during the 'great recession' by having having a stable job and increasing my contributions, but it was havok on tens-of-millions.  I just got lucky - I just as easily could have been one of the many out of work and drawing down savings.

I wouldn't mind the market going sideways for a few years.  Might calm the drumbeat that "the market is overvalued!!", then we can resume our upward march as productivity gains and a few billion more poor people globally join the ranks of productive individuals with disposable income.
I pray for no major wars, no major crashes and no global implosions.  Rising tide lifts all boats.

SnackDog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2017, 07:56:55 AM »
Market since 2000 or so has underperformed the long term average, so plenty of upside.

andysandp

• Stubble
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2017, 08:08:59 AM »

In the previous thread you said I wasn't using Real Returns and adjusting for Inflation.  So now I'm using Real Returns adjusted for Inflation.

I know past doesn't doesn't guarantee future returns.

If we don't hit 8% Real Returns (with Dividends reinvested) for the next 10 years, then we will have the worst 30 year Real Return in history!!

Did I mess up on my calculations?

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2017, 08:17:36 AM »

In the previous thread you said I wasn't using Real Returns and adjusting for Inflation.  So now I'm using Real Returns adjusted for Inflation.

I know past doesn't doesn't guarantee future returns.

If we don't hit 8% Real Returns (with Dividends reinvested) for the next 10 years, then we will have the worst 30 year Real Return in history!!

Did I mess up on my calculations?
Well first off you made an error in your assumptions.  As indicated the worst historical 30 year period had 3.2% real returns, far below what we are currently experiencing.
Second, regarding your calculations, you seem to be confusing arithmetic with geometric means. I don't have the time to go through it now but feel free to show how you are arriving at 8% for 10 years to move the average above .... (what exactly, you aren't clear about how much better we need to get to avoid the worst returns in history, which we are already well above - see above. )
Third (as also explained in the previous thread) the output varies widly based on the time period chosen. Shifting the time period by 2 years changes it from a below-average period to one of the best. Peak-to-peak, valley-to-valley and all that.

tl/dr: you've posted in mutliple threads the exact same phrase (copy/paste?)_ that's demonstrably untrue.  That's a mark of trolling.

andysandp

• Stubble
« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2017, 08:29:56 AM »
Nereo,  Sorry, I'm definitely not Trolling.  I'm still new, so I'm trying to learn as much as I can.

I don't know when was the worst 30 year Real Return was.  You said eyeballing it, it's maybe 1929, that's why I used 1929-1959.

I tried inputing different months in 1929 using the S and P calculator and found August 1929-August 1959 came at the worst return at 6.049%.

If 1929-1959 was not the worst, can someone tell me when the worst 30 year Real Return (with Dividend Reinvested) is?

The last 20 years the Real Return was 5.012%, according to the calculator.  The worse 30 years was 6.049%.

That means you need 8% compounded return for the next 10 years in order to beat the worst 30 years of 6.049%.  I used a compound calculator to get 8%.

Perhaps someone else can calculate what the next 10 year returns need to be, in order to beat the worst 30 year return?

Just trying to learn, so any help would be appreciated!
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 09:38:29 AM by andysandp »

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2017, 09:42:39 AM »
Nereo,  Sorry, I'm definitely not Trolling.  I'm still new, so I'm trying to learn as much as I can.

I don't know when was the worst 30 year Real Return was.  You said eyeballing it, maybe it's 1929, that's why I used 1929-1959.

I tried inputing different months in 1929 using the S and P calculator and found August 1929-August 1959 came at the worst at 6.049%.

If 1929-1959 is not the worst, can someone tell me when the worst 30 year Real Return (with Dividend Reinvested) is?

I know that last 20 years the Real Return is 5.012% according to the calculator.  That's worse then Aug 1929-1959 at 6.049%

Perhaps someone else can calculate what the next 10 year Real Returns need to be, in order to beat the worst 30 year return in history?

Just trying to learn, so any help would be appreciated!
Ok, I'm glad we're all trying to learn here (as am I) - forums get infested with trolls that repeat the same incorrect information.
Looking back part of my resposne seems to be gone - perhaps a result of using differnet devices to type responses.  In any regard, it seems you did not see my full response to your earlier thread.

To paraphrase, the worst investment period was 1892-1922 (the aforementioned 3.2% annualized real). But there are dozens of others that are sub 5% (examples: periods starting in 1902 & 1912 both were under 4%, and most of the years from 1900-1915 were at or under 5%)
Looking more recently we've had periods below 6% (e.g. 1973-2003 returned just 5.4%).  One could argue that our modern economy is fundamentally different from that of 100 years ago (it is), but it's simply false to say "the worst in history".

I'd also caution against cherry-picking one single dataset and making such a broad conclusions, because you risk picking a 'peak-to-valley', and while this may technically be an awful period for investing in the market, almost no one invests all their money in one month, waits 30 years and then calls it quits. If you're an ER drops early on ("sequence of returns risk") matters far more than the average returns.
To illustrate, consider the early 1970s.  Looking at 30 year periods starting in January of each year, we have:
1972: 6.7% annual returns
1973: 5.4% annual returns
1974: 7.2% annual returns.

29/30 of years overlap between the starting date of 1973 and 1974, but the gains in 1974 were 33% greater.  Regarding ERs, in the above example 1972 would have seemed to be a good year to return (annualized returns of 6.7% - not bad!) but in fact wasn;t because '73 and '74 both had big drops - sequence of returns did your portfolio in.

Looking forward at your examination of the last 20 years (Jan 1 1997- Dec 31 2016) we have returns of 5.3%.  Not great.
What happens if we keep the end date (Dec 31 2016) but look at slightly different periods?
8 years: 13.1% (incredible!)
10 years: 5.0% (bad!)
15 years: 4.5% (even worse!)
20 years: 5.3% (not great)
25 years: 6.9% (pretty decent)

Mostly due to the "great recession" (and partly due to the 2001 'dot-com bubble') we've got another set of years where largely overlapping time periods might be considered very good and very bad periods for the market. But its misleading for the vast majority nof people that either invest periodically over multiple years/decades AND for people that make withdrawls periodically over years or decades.  A single number only tells you so much about the time period, which brings us to your final point (that about 8% returns for a solid decade).

If we were to actually have 8% real returns for the next decade (following up on the 7+ year bull market we've already had) it would be a period of prosperity like we've never seen.  The only exceptions would be if you only looked at periods that started just before the great recession. All other time periods would be near or above the maximum 30y annualized returns.

make sense? This resposne wound up way longer than I originally anticipated.

PizzaSteve

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2017, 01:33:47 PM »
An important concept to keep in mind is who actually owns and sets market prices.

Folks talking about great prior investment eras and 'lucky boomers' forget that most of the wealth generation was concentrated in fewer people.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/182816/little-change-percentage-americans-invested-market.aspx

In capitalism you are either owning the means of production or are the means of production.

In many ways, the price of stocks are club dues, set by the wealthy, for new entrants to the priviledged class.  Whatever the price, it is the current game unless you are building wealth as a business creator.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 01:35:59 PM by PizzaSteve »

SeattleCPA

• Handlebar Stache
    • Evergreen Small Business
« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2017, 02:10:28 PM »
Nereo, I'm not sure how you're calculating your returns, but if I use cfiresim to look at the return someone earns on average over 30 years if they're annually saving, I get the following values for a 100% stocks portfolio:

Min   0.91%
25th   5.66%
Med   7.03%
75th   8.80%
99th   10.92%

The worst 30 year stretch  ( less than 1% on average) ends in 1920. The 30 year stretch that ends in 1921 is pretty modest too (about 1.34%). The most recent bad year to end 30 years of saving is 1981 and there the saver earns about 2.57% over their 30 years.

These values are not far off what I noted in an earlier message in this thread.

I wonder if you're not using a stream of savings amounts (i.e., annually saving X) and rather assuming an initial deposit followed by 30 years of compounding? Maybe that's how you're getting way higher returns?

P.S. cfiresim doesn't do a perfect job at this. But it looks to me as if it pretty closely meshes with FIRECalc.

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2017, 02:20:27 PM »

The answers to the OP's question so far strike me as mostly falling into the "You just have to have balls of steel" category.

If holding more stock at this point makes you uncomfortable, to me it makes the most sense to diversify away from stocks.

As a starting point check out this article on cash from Tyler's site portfoliocharts.com:

https://portfoliocharts.com/2017/05/12/understanding-cash-will-make-you-a-better-and-happier-investor/

In short, holding cash, assuming that it is not just jammed under the mattress but actually invested in short-term instruments, has historically not been a terrible casualty of inflation. Cash has actually tracked inflation reasonable well as rates/inflation rise.

To me (and maybe this is just because I am older than most on here) investing can be looked at as "what percentage of my invested
assets can I hold in stocks without freaking out?" I don't think people can honestly say that figure is 100% unless they have maintained an all-stock portfolio during a mid-range bear like 2000-2002 or a shorter "crash" version like 2008-2009.

In this thread people talk about "the market" as if there is only one market. We all know there are many. Holding uncorrected assets can smooth out returns (and yes, in many cases "smoothing" means "lowering") over time. Investing is not all about maximizing returns in the long run no matter what. Being comfortable with what you hold and count on to be there for you and your family for many years is incredibly important. Just my humble opinion, obviously.

The concept of uncorrelated assets is great in theory, but the problem is that when everyone pursues diversification, correlation becomes unavoidable. In a stock crash, people don't have the option of shifting all their pre-crash value into bonds, commodities, or real estate - even if they sell out, they only get a little to invest in other assets. In fact, investors who are FI must buy less of these other assets so as not to sell all their stocks at fire sale prices.

That's why GLD, real estate, and commodities all go up and down with the stock market to varying degrees of correlation.

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #46 on: June 03, 2017, 02:25:27 PM »
I suspect that since a lot of people have switched from active investing (stock picking) to passive investing (buying index funds and just leaving the money where it is) that might be making a difference with the stability of the markets. There has been nowhere near the volatility in the markets from Trump's actions that I expected there would be. A lot of investors have taken up MMM's strategy and they aren't pushing and pulling money as much as they used to.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #47 on: June 03, 2017, 02:56:31 PM »
I made $1,000 today by not selling yesterday.

Funny how we don't give ourselves credit for our decisions of omission. Had I made $500 day-traded a tech stock while sitting 90% in cash, I'd consider myself brilliant.

There's something to be said for setting up your life so that laziness wins the day.

On another note, as a silver lining to the market rocketing into outer space we're now millionaires. 

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2017, 02:57:07 PM »
I put 10k in a Vanguard midcap index 2 days ago. Who knows what will happen. It feels like a leap of faith when I put money in the index funds, but I keep going back to stock market investing 101 like the JL Collins stock investing series, http://jlcollinsnh.com/stock-series/   to feel grounded and less anxious about it.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #49 on: June 03, 2017, 03:04:15 PM »
I put 10k in a Vanguard midcap index 2 days ago. Who knows what will happen. It feels like a leap of faith when I put money in the index funds, but I keep going back to stock market investing 101 like the JL Collins stock investing series, http://jlcollinsnh.com/stock-series/   to feel grounded and less anxious about it.

Why do you feel anxious?  Are you retiring in the next year or 2?  If not, then the market movement doesn't affect you at all.  Dump money in, things go up, maybe flatten, maybe dip, but it always, always, always goes back up.  That's the whole point of buy and hold investing. 

On the other hand, if you're trying to time the market and move your money around a lot, then these fluctuations are gonna cause you a lot of stress. 

Seriously, if you get nervous with things are going up, what will you do when things drop?  I'm not trying to be mean, I'm trying to get you to think about what your actions are likely to be when things go down.  Will you panic and sell?  I hope not, because that will get you the worst outcome possible.