Author Topic: Happiest Countries in the World..Switzerland #1 2 years in a row  (Read 4093 times)

luigi49

• Bristles
Re: Happiest Countries in the World..Switzerland #1 2 years in a row
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 07:47:49 AM »
I have a sister that lives there.  Its an amazing country and they really take care of their citizen.  Transportation system is amazing where you can travel to almost every country on a train.   You will see 80 year old on their bikes with grand kids on tow going uphill.   I brought my kids there 2 years ago and you can't wipe the smile on their face for 3 weeks.  Train and bus schedules are every 15 to 30 minutes.   

kyleaaa

• Bristles
    • Kyle Bumpus
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 08:46:16 AM »
If your entire country looked like a postcard you'd be pretty happy, too!

luigi49

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, 11:38:44 AM »
Not true about the statement above.  I know a well to do person that is depressed.  Its the same crap but different country. :)

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2014, 03:52:46 PM »
Australia is 7th - well we usually come out in the top 10 - as do the Nordic countries and Canada. Each year it's about the same - just the order changes.

Left

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2014, 06:16:43 PM »
Aside from Australia, all the countries on the list are "cold" climate... opposite of what I would have thought to be "happy".

wtjbatman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2014, 06:28:49 PM »
I live in Minnesota, can confirm Nordic/Germanic/Polish peoples in cold climates are surprisingly cheerful for living in an arctic hell several months out of the year. I'm very happy in my personal life, but don't share the love of winter.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2014, 09:12:50 AM »
I live in Minnesota, can confirm Nordic/Germanic/Polish peoples in cold climates are surprisingly cheerful for living in an arctic hell several months out of the year. I'm very happy in my personal life, but don't share the love of winter.

I share your sentiment! I live in WI and it was a brutal winter. Italians dont do well in this climate I am guessing! haha. Though I have been here 49 years!

MissStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2014, 11:37:10 AM »
Aside from Australia, all the countries on the list are "cold" climate... opposite of what I would have thought to be "happy".

That has always baffled me as well.  Maybe they take these surveys in the summer time when they are on a high from being in the dark and cold for most of the year!

Grog

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2014, 12:33:53 PM »
Swiss guy here
Most guy here would say that we are a grey country where nobody smile and elsewhere is so much better. But this is just the prevalent mentality, closed like that. But I've seen every corner of my country and it's amazing what a smile and a firm handshake can open you.
I think most of our success was linked t opportunism (yep, we morally clse our eyes once too much sometime), luck and direct democracy. When you have to vote about everything you start to really care for the public stuff: it is your tax money, and you still can decide how is used, so you are not out to get revenge.

luigi49

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2014, 04:37:00 PM »
The only time everyone is happy there is "the street parade" LOL   The best.