Author Topic: Grrrr Vanguard!  (Read 6562 times)

Freedom2016

• Pencil Stache
Grrrr Vanguard!
« on: July 01, 2014, 05:11:03 PM »
*sigh*

I opened a taxable account at Vanguard online, over the weekend (10k into VTSAX, yay!). When I had trouble signing up for online access the next day, I called customer service only to learn that.... (I forgot that) I once had a Vanguard account years ago (a mutual fund 15-20 years ago!) and their system still has my old info. So the system automatically merged/overwrote my new info with the old. The problem? I'm married now (new last name) and my email and physical addresses are different - my SSN and birthdate are the only things that didn't change. But for whatever reason they couldn't fix this by phone, and instead I have to fill out a name change form, and snail-mail a copy of my marriage license to prove who I am.

It's a petty annoyance, granted, but it *is* an annoyance... Meanwhile they have pulled the funds from my checking account, but I'll have no way to access my Vanguard account until I get this paperwork sorted.

WillPen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Grrrr Vanguard!
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 05:36:59 PM »
I had to straighten up something like this because my old company's 401k was with Vanguard (I never knew how good I had it compared to some other plans out there.. yeesh).

When I rolled my old 401k over they deactivated my account. Fast forward 3 years after I became financially aware. I go to open up a Vanguard account and can't log in or sign up for a new account. They were able to help me but it definitely took a few weeks. I think I had some overlap between access issues and contributions too. They had the account set up and cleared properly but there was still an issue with my online profile.

Keep at it.. I find them pretty helpful and knowledgeable compared to some other companies.

Freedom2016

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 06:01:29 PM »
Thanks! I am hoping that after we sort out this little wrinkle that it will be smooth sailing. The woman on the phone was friendly, so that was nice, it's just a hassle that seems like it could have been avoided. They don't know it yet but they're going to be getting a lot of business from us in the coming years...assuming headaches like this are the exception and not the rule! :)

okashira

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 06:03:56 PM »
I'm quote happy they are doing this to you, sounds like it could be an easy id theft scam. Security is very important.

viper155

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 01:30:30 PM »
I'm quote happy they are doing this to you, sounds like it could be an easy id theft scam. Security is very important.

Bingo! It is an annoyance but I believe VG is doing the right thing. My experience with them, so for, is nothing but positive.

Freedom2016

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 02:42:20 PM »
Fair enough on the identity theft point. My sister had her identity stolen 20 years ago and it took over 10 years to find/stop/prosecute the perpetrator! (but as an aside it was sweet, sweet justice when it finally happened...)

It's irritating in that *I* know I am who I say I am. Now why can't others figure that out from electronic communications and transactions? :)

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2014, 03:04:53 PM »
My experience with Vanguard's customer support is that they mean well, but are pretty clueless as soon as you throw an unusual situation at them, like if you're a foreign national, or anything related to identity really.

Fidelity, on the other hand, really nails that stuff.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2014, 04:11:45 PM »
Yay, my rollover to Vanguard completed on the 30th into VTSAX. 0.05% expenses. :)

Michread

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2014, 04:40:27 AM »

Fidelity, on the other hand, really nails that stuff.

Not 

My dh had a Fidelity 401k years ago (since closed) but they had SSN wrong so when he tried this year to open a Fidelity 403b, it was too much of a hassle to do the paperwork to make it right and would take to long.  He started a 403b with his current retirement acct provider instead. 

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!