Author Topic: Google sheet  (Read 2738 times)

Magclaw

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Google sheet
« on: August 27, 2014, 02:36:07 PM »
I have been using google sheets lately to track my stocks and expected monthly dividends. I recently started using the googlefinance function to pull quotes for the stocks I own.
I can get a look at the total value of all my stocks without ever having to open up my stock trading account. I find it kind of neat. No need to type in passwords, just click on my sheet and its all there (I do manually adjust the amounts of stocks I own).

I was wondering if/how others are using the googlefinance functions.

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
Re: Google sheet
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 02:38:14 PM »
Yeah, I use the GoogleFinance functions in a spreadsheet where I keep track of what I own in my various accounts. It computes how my current asset allocation compares to my plan so that I know which fund to invest in next.

hodedofome

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 09:03:36 PM »
Yes I use it heavily. I track my accounts as you do so I don't have to log into anything. I put in all my trades and notes in there as well. I also track quite a few ETFs, mutual funds and stocks and compare their performance for the past 1-12 months. I also track different strategies that I 'paper trade' to see how they are doing. I have some momentum strategies, Joel Greenblatt's Magic Formula strat, Mebane Faber's global CAPE investing, among others.

I love the ease of use and the real-time data. I know it's possible to do the same in Excel with yahoo finance, but the Google functions are so much easier to learn.

Magclaw

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 07:51:39 AM »
I have tried to use excel linked to internet explorer but it would always crash. Google sheets works all the time for me.
It does take awhile to load on my phone than on my desktop.

seanc0x0

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 10:07:46 AM »
I have been using google sheets lately to track my stocks and expected monthly dividends. I recently started using the googlefinance function to pull quotes for the stocks I own.
I can get a look at the total value of all my stocks without ever having to open up my stock trading account. I find it kind of neat. No need to type in passwords, just click on my sheet and its all there (I do manually adjust the amounts of stocks I own).

I was wondering if/how others are using the googlefinance functions.

Funny you should mention that. I spent my lunch hour yesterday moving a manually-updated Excel spreadsheet over to Google just so I could keep it all updated without having to do it manually. Much better!