Author Topic: Future 401K investments  (Read 2401 times)

DBV1985

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Future 401K investments
« on: November 22, 2016, 06:09:55 PM »
Hi All,

I wanted to get your feedback on recommendations for selecting my future investments. Most of the funds are currently at a 10 year high. The only ones that are in the lows are RERBX, RIRBX, and the lowest is bond RBFBX.
The other funds available are:RGABX, RSLBX, RFNBX, RICBX, RLBBX, and RITBX. I feel like it's risky to buy the ones that are at a 10 year high right now.

Your thoughts?

J

VoteCthulu

• Bristles
Re: Future 401K investments
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2016, 07:00:21 PM »
I had negative total growth in my 401k a couple of times already. The important thing to remember is that over 30 years of growth, it's more important to have that money in the market ready to grow than to worry about the timing of when to invest it.

Those are all terribly high expense ratio funds. If that's all I had for my 401k options I would hold my nose as i invested in RERBX, RSLBX, and RICBX.

minority_finance_mo

• Pencil Stache
    • Minority Finance
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2016, 09:18:34 PM »
Yeah, I try to ignore the fluctuations of the market and just pile in broad market, lowest expense funds. I've gotta eat my own dogfood this week, since I have some cash sitting in an investment account that I was scared to invest last week because of the upturn - but in my working life the value of the stock market at this current point is probably much lower than it'll be in 5, 10, 20 years. Gonna bite the bullet this week.

Rubyvroom

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2016, 10:46:38 PM »
FYI you may get more replies if you post the name and expense ratio of the funds rather than just the ticker symbols. I don't know how many people are devoted enough to look them all up :)

DBV1985

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2016, 09:55:20 AM »
Thanks for the replies. Yes those are my only options for my employee plan unfortunately :(. Here is more info on each individual investments....

I do also have a TSP I can rollover my investments. Would it be better to just have the money go into a moneymarket account each paycheck and roll it over every month into my TSP C investment because of the low fees?

My employee plan is through American Funds from Capital Group:

American Funds EuroPacific growth RERBX net expense ratio 1.57% growth investment
American Funds Growth Fund of America RGABX expense 1.38% growth investment
American Funds Smallcap world fund RSLBX expense 1.83% growth investment
American Funds Fundamental Investors RFNBX expense 1.38% growth and income investment
American Funds Investment Co of America RICBX expense 1.37% growth- and income investment
American Funds Capital Income Builder RIRBX expense 1.38%equity-income investment
American Funds American Balanced RLBBX expense 1.36% Balanced inestment
American Funds American High Income Trust RITBX expense 1.50% Bond
American Funds Bond Fund of America RBFBX expense 1.39% Bond

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2016, 10:26:07 AM »
I do also have a TSP I can rollover my investments. Would it be better to just have the money go into a moneymarket account each paycheck and roll it over every month into my TSP C investment because of the low fees?
Yes, if you can do that.  Many people's 401k plans do not allow them to withdraw the money while they are still working for the 401k provider.