Author Topic: Fundrise vs. Vanguard REIT?  (Read 2798 times)

kukrik

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Fundrise vs. Vanguard REIT?
« on: May 10, 2019, 01:23:55 PM »
What are the pros and cons of each?

Rob_bob

• Bristles
Re: Fundrise vs. Vanguard REIT?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2019, 02:27:42 PM »
I did a quick and dirty search for Fundrise and found this in a review:

"Here is another complicated one because there are a few variables at play here.

First, Fundrise will only redeem a certain amount of shares per quarter. Once they have redeemed those shares, you will get in line for the following quarter, and so on. Additionally, when you redeem the shares, you will incur a penalty of between 3 and 5% of the share price. Thirdly, Fundrise gets to calculate the value of the shares and it's essentially impossible for us to determine that value on our own.

Less than 6 months - No Redemption Allowed
6 Months to 2 Years - 95%
2 to 3 Years - 96%
3+ Years - 97%
The biggest unknown appears to be the unknown value that Fundrise will place on each share. Upon purchase, each share is worth $10, but that can easily go up or down based upon their valuation. On top of that, you can only get a portion of your money back when you redeem."

This sounds very much like investing in a non-publicly traded REIT.  They best serve the managers not the investor.  Easy to put money in and difficult to get it out.

I wouldn't use Fundrise myself.

I invest in REIT ETF's and a few PUBLICLY TRADED REIT's.  They trade just like any other stock, very liquid.  It's also easy to buy "yield trap" REIT's.

My personal list of small position own or watching REIT by ticker symbol:

REIT's: O, WPC, APLE, BPR, IRM, STOR, SRC

ETF: FREL, VNQI.

Andy R

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2019, 07:37:05 PM »
Maybe this will be of some help.
https://www.whitecoatinvestor.com/real-estate-investment-trusts-reits-everything-need-to-know
https://www.whitecoatinvestor.com/privately-traded-reits

Disclaimer: not affiliated in any way, nor do I invest in REITs beyond market cap, just find whitecoatinvestor articles to be very good.

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
  • Location: A poor and backward Southern state known as minimum wage country
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2019, 08:13:00 PM »
Cons of each: They are used to concentrate one's assets into one sector.

Pro of Vanguard VNQ: There exists an options market you can use to enter the position at a discount, hedge, or sell calls.