The Money Mustache Community

Learning, Sharing, and Teaching => Investor Alley => Topic started by: gillstone on June 13, 2016, 04:13:51 PM

Title: Fish or cut bait on VGTSX
Post by: gillstone on June 13, 2016, 04:13:51 PM
I moved our IRAs to Vanguard over a year ago.  Once of the IRAs was invested with 70% in their High Dividend fund (doing well) and the other 30% was in VGTSX - Total International Stock Market.

Because of global economic insecurity of one stripe or another VGTSX has floundered and currently trades about a dollar/share lower than when we bought it. 

At what point do we eat the loss and transfer the funds to a more promising mutual fund/ETF?
Title: Re: Fish or cut bait on VGTSX
Post by: forummm on June 13, 2016, 05:43:32 PM
Don't market time. Keeping total international is a fine idea. I'm about 50% total international. Have an investor policy statement and stick with it.
Title: Re: Fish or cut bait on VGTSX
Post by: Heckler on June 13, 2016, 05:52:16 PM
Follow the white bouncing ball and buy low, sell high.

(https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-4JLDwRemgIA/TYAcM7hggaI/AAAAAAAAAjU/YjzL2PAJKQg/s1600/Callan.jpg)
Title: Re: Fish or cut bait on VGTSX
Post by: seattlecyclone on June 13, 2016, 05:54:00 PM
Yes, just because the international stock indexes went down last year does not mean that owning international stock is a bad idea. In fact, now might be a good time to put a bit more money into it because you're probably a bit below the target percentage you defined in your ideal asset allocation in your investment policy statement.
Title: Re: Fish or cut bait on VGTSX
Post by: ambimammular on June 13, 2016, 06:10:58 PM
Try to think of it as being on sale. It always helps me reframe my mind.

www.mrmoneymustache.com/2011/06/09/how-to-tell-when-the-stock-market-is-on-sale/