Author Topic: Fidelity  (Read 5161 times)

meandmyfamily

• Bristles
Fidelity
« on: May 27, 2015, 12:43:37 PM »
What funds are you talking about at Fidelity that are comparable to the ones at Vanguard?  VSTAX is comparable to what at Fidelity?  The one I look into wasn't open to new investors.  Our IRAs are currently with Fidelity.   Would you still move to Vanguard?

Frugal_NYC

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Fidelity
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 12:49:35 PM »

meandmyfamily

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 12:53:33 PM »
Would you move to Vanguard or stay with Fidelity and why?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 12:57:42 PM by meandmyfamily »

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 12:58:12 PM »
The Spartan funds are good at Fidelity. Comparable to Vanguard. Just compare the expense ratio to Vanguard's version.

This one is comparable to VTSAX
https://fundresearch.fidelity.com/mutual-funds/summary/315911800

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2015, 01:11:23 PM »

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2015, 02:14:54 PM »
Yeah, the Spartan funds are good choices. I don't think there's any compelling reason to go through the hassle of switching to Vanguard if all of your money is already with Fidelity. They have plenty of good funds.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2015, 02:33:26 PM »
I think there's quite a few of us on here that are with Fidelity and prefer them for their customer service and available tools/website. Vanguard is awesome, but Fido can be just as good as long as you stay with their Spartan series of index/low cost funds.

4alpacas link shows the comparable funds for all of the Vanguard stuff you'd be interested in.

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2015, 02:35:34 PM »
I think there's quite a few of us on here that are with Fidelity and prefer them for their customer service and available tools/website.

Can you explain what you like better about Fidelity's website and tools? My last 401(k) was run by Fidelity and I didn't find anything about their web experience was noticeably better than Vanguard's, but your mileage may vary.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2015, 02:52:08 PM »
I think there's quite a few of us on here that are with Fidelity and prefer them for their customer service and available tools/website.

Can you explain what you like better about Fidelity's website and tools? My last 401(k) was run by Fidelity and I didn't find anything about their web experience was noticeably better than Vanguard's, but your mileage may vary.

I'm sure it's purely personal opinion, but I've tried several times to navigate Vanguard's website and it is very messy compared to Fido - I don't like how they arrange their info and some of it is more difficult to track down.

Fido's regular tools/website access are slightly different from the ones available for the 401Ks; I've got both, and the 401k section is presented differently and the info is compartmentalized and in some cases doesn't provide the full experience as with taxable/IRAs (at least in my case). While pulling 401k statements/info isn't complicated, the regular account access allows for all sorts of aggregate info and chart exports that are quite nice. All of Fido's tools and programs are easy to use and pretty extensive in scope, and I like their customer service; I always get my questions answered pretty much instantly, while I've seen folks on here complain about the lack of knowledge and issue resolution with Vanguard's reps (Vanguard peeps are probably very nice, but they don't seem as well trained or knowledgeable).

Since I'm not paying any more than I would with Vanguard (I have all Spartan index funds, so the difference is probably within 0.01% if that) I am quite happy with Fido.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2015, 02:54:58 PM »
Interesting. I find I never call Vanguard and their website works just fine for me.

meandmyfamily

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2015, 05:14:04 PM »
Excellent!  Thank you!  I feel like I just got Fidelity's website figured out and then I found the Boglehead book and I kept thinking I needed to switch. 

a1smith

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2015, 08:45:28 PM »

My 401k is with Fidelity and I like their retirement income planner (RIP).  The RIP will import data from Full View so it has the latest data on all of your accounts.  The RIP has many options for you to tailor it the way you want.  It will also recommend a stock/bond asset allocation which I have used as one input when making those kinds of decisions.  However, I don't like the actual funds they recommend.

I have Vanguard Roth's so I have used their site as well.  I do like Financial Engines on Vanguard's website.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!