Author Topic: Fidelity SIMPLE IRA - two Zero funds?  (Read 783 times)

Apples

• Handlebar Stache
Fidelity SIMPLE IRA - two Zero funds?
« on: February 19, 2022, 11:41:06 AM »
Hello!

My company's SIMPLE IRA is being moved to Fidelity.  I'm considering what funds to invest in.  I max out my SIMPLE IRA contributions most years; we additionally put some money in our Roth IRAs.  I'm thinking I'll contribute to two of the Zero funds:  FROX total market index fund and FZILX total international index fund.  75% in FROX and 25% in FZILX for flavor.  I don't read a bunch of investing info - I know low fees are best (our Roth Money is in the Vanguard VTSAX and the international one) - but are the Zero funds alright?  Just making sure I don't have a blind spot about them and there's info I should know.

About us:  I'm married, we're in our 30's, we are not going to retire early, we have about $250,000 for retirement right now, we also have a taxable account and large emergency fund as we bought a farm so need the cash pile high in case of two bad years.  My risk tolerance for my retirement funds is high - I've never been concerned by a market crash/correction yet, though I concede I was in high school in 2008 so I can't say I've been through the worst.

So, Zero funds - anything I need to know about them?

Thanks!

dblaace

• Bristles
Re: Fidelity SIMPLE IRA - two Zero funds?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2022, 01:06:01 PM »
I use the FZROX, it has performed the same or slightly better than FSKAX and has the same management and Top 10 stock holdings, and probably all the same stocks.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2022, 04:35:51 PM »
The only real issue I have myself is that the Zero funds are proprietary, meaning you'll be forced to sell them if you move your account out of Fidelity. You can hold their other index funds (like FSKAX, their main mutual fund index fund) anywhere else (likely with extra fees, but still).

The Zero funds are newer, but they've done really well and are overall decent, and this may not be an issue inside a tax sheltered/deferred account like an IRA/401k, but something to keep in mind.

Apples

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2022, 02:31:10 PM »
Thank you @dblaace good to know.

And thank you @Frankies Girl , I did not know about the funds being proprietary.  I don't think it'll be an issue - I doubt the company will change the SIMPLE IRA provider again (source: am daughter of owner, and I suggested this change, and I will one day be owner), as my parents and grandparents have substantial assets at Fidelity so it's useful to have an account there.  It's more likely my Roth Vanguard account will get moved to Fidelity someday.

I appreciate both of you taking the time to share this information with me.