Author Topic: Fidelity HSA investment options?  (Read 920 times)

The 585

Fidelity HSA investment options?
« on: June 27, 2021, 07:55:43 AM »
I've got around $20k that's been sitting in a Fidelity investment account, all in Fidelity's Total Bond Fund. I factor this into my overall allocation of 80% Total World Stock / 20% Total Bond. However, I'd like to shift this into something which mirrors my overall allocation, but since I'm primarily in Vanguard funds I'm not sure of Fidelity equivalents.

What are some low fee Fidelity funds which would give me this equivalent exposure? Can I invest in Vanguard funds/ETFs within the Fidelity HSA, or would the fees to do this be high? Thanks in advance!

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Fidelity HSA investment options?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2021, 10:19:57 AM »
fidelity site:bogleheads.org - Google Search may be useful.

There is probably no better HSA custodian than Fidelity at this time.

EvenSteven

• Pencil Stache

turketron

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2021, 08:55:42 AM »
I only have less than $10k in my HSA so it's a small enough slice of my portfolio that it barely affects my overall allocation. So just to make it easy I put it all in FZROX, which is roughly equivalent to VTSAX, but with a 0% expense ratio.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2021, 09:22:42 AM »
Fidelity's HSA is a full brokerage account. You can buy non-Fidelity mutual funds in it, but a fee may apply.

Or you can buy the ETF version of the Vanguard fund, fee-free.

mckaylabaloney

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2021, 09:23:14 AM »
I only have less than $10k in my HSA so it's a small enough slice of my portfolio that it barely affects my overall allocation. So just to make it easy I put it all in FZROX, which is roughly equivalent to VTSAX, but with a 0% expense ratio.

Same here. Fidelity has no-fee HSAs for individuals, and no-fee index funds like FZROX, so you can have a completely fee-free HSA with Fidelity. I don't know if they have no-fee funds for total world and/or bonds, but you can always reallocate through other accounts.

terran

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2021, 09:25:36 AM »
Agreed with all of the above. You can also invest in Vanguard (or other) ETFs commission free. One neat thing about the Fidelity HSA in particular is that they let you invest in institutional class target date funds that are usually only available in employer sponsored plans and have lower expense ratios than normal target date funds. Fidelity Freedom Index 2055 Fund - Institutional Premium Class (FFLDX), for example.