Author Topic: Everything is On Sale  (Read 2929 times)

nihilism122

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Everything is On Sale
« on: December 06, 2018, 07:58:01 PM »
I am loving it.  I hope it stays this way for the next few years so I can load up. 

DS

• Pencil Stache
Re: Everything is On Sale
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2018, 07:46:48 AM »
It will! Sale's been going on since market started. Will keep going until it ends.

jacoavluha

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2018, 09:16:30 AM »
sale? you have to define your time frame
there were lower values for total market on various days in Nov, Oct, Apr, and Feb.
And of course if you go back a year the market is higher than it's ever been before.
You are likely to see lower and probably even much lower prices at some point in the future.

My point would be that such short term fluctuations in market prices shouldn't change anything about what you're doing.

FrugalFisherman10

• Bristles
    • Fly Fishing Photo Project
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2018, 09:24:53 AM »
It will! Sale's been going on since market started. Will keep going until it ends.
Like button

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2018, 09:50:05 AM »
My point would be that such short term fluctuations in market prices shouldn't change anything about what you're doing.

Can you call the guy on my local financial radio show and let him know?  He was talking last night about the current market.  All I could think about was market timing and MMM forums...

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2018, 02:52:49 PM »
I just harvested some losses on Tuesday and the market is down another couple percent since. If it stays flat or goes down on Monday I might have to do it again!

appleshampooid

• Bristles
  • Relentless Snacker
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2018, 09:32:24 AM »
I just harvested some losses on Tuesday and the market is down another couple percent since. If it stays flat or goes down on Monday I might have to do it again!
I just got in to the TLH game this year. Most of my taxable holdings are international (to get the foreign tax credit), and I have been swapping between VFWAX and VTIAX as the market has trended down...keeping track of the 61 day windows (in addition to any extra investments) is kind of a PITA. But I'm happy to do this and not pay Betterment or Wealthfront their management fee to do it for me.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2018, 10:28:19 AM »
I buy more this Friday!

jacoavluha

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2018, 10:31:06 AM »
I just got in to the TLH game this year. Most of my taxable holdings are international (to get the foreign tax credit), and I have been swapping between VFWAX and VTIAX as the market has trended down...keeping track of the 61 day windows (in addition to any extra investments) is kind of a PITA. But I'm happy to do this and not pay Betterment or Wealthfront their management fee to do it for me.

IXUS or VEA plus VWO at 85:15 would be additional tax loss partners you could consider using if you want to harvest losses but are still within the window where you can’t get back into one of your preferred holdings.

MrGville

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2018, 04:28:22 PM »

Just laughed out loud at this.  Got some weird looks from my coworkers. 

Laserjet3051

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2018, 04:47:05 PM »
Everything?

Give me a break. Pfizer is just a hair below it's 15 YEAR HIGH!

Quite the opposite of sale actually.