Author Topic: ETFs when you haven't meet minimum  (Read 2346 times)

meandmyfamily

• Bristles
ETFs when you haven't meet minimum
« on: June 09, 2015, 02:56:01 PM »
Hello!  I was looking at buy ITOT with Fidelity because I haven't hit the $2500 or $10,000 minimum in this particular account.  Would you buy ETFs or wait until you hit the minimum?

Thanks!

Indexer

• Handlebar Stache
Re: ETFs when you haven't meet minimum
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 04:25:48 PM »
Well personally I wouldn't do ITOT or Fidelity.  I would use VTI in a Vanguard account.  No transaction fee and a lower expense ratio.

But yes I would use an ETF if you haven't met the minimum.  The minimum on VTSAX is 10k, so use VTI until then.

meandmyfamily

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 05:51:08 PM »
It is no transaction fee at Fidelity.  We have all our IRAs there and I was following this:

http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Fidelity

We just started Roths so our balances are low.  We have a larger IRA with them as well from a rollover.

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2015, 12:39:28 AM »
It is no transaction fee at Fidelity.  We have all our IRAs there and I was following this:

http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Fidelity

We just started Roths so our balances are low.  We have a larger IRA with them as well from a rollover.

Very reasonable decision.  We have a $1000 HSA at Fidelity and chose a couple of the no-fee ETFs for that account for similar reasons.

meandmyfamily

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2015, 03:46:11 PM »
Thank you MDM!  I am a beginner and this stuff gets confusing!

GGNoob

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2015, 04:28:09 PM »
Yes, the iShares commission free ETFs at Fidelity are a good choice when you don't have the minimum amount needed for the Spartan Index Funds.