Author Topic: Does Google own the future? Who else does?  (Read 33205 times)

mtnrider

• Pencil Stache
Re: Does Google own the future? Who else does?
« Reply #100 on: April 12, 2015, 10:04:24 PM »
I wish Google the best, they do seem like a good company.

Fifteen years ago though, we were worried about Microsoft.

100 years ago it was Standard Oil.

150 years ago it was the Railroad Tycoons.

It's probably not different this time, companies are run by fallible humans.  It's tough to make predictions, especially about the future*.  Cyberdyne though, I'm not so sure about.  :)

* Yogi Bera

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #101 on: April 13, 2015, 09:58:54 AM »
If you're looking at biotech, there have been two breakthroughs recently regarding Alzheimer's, and both show a ton of promise to either slow the disease to a crawl, or even cure it outright. The patent holders of these breakthroughs could make enormous quantities of money if their treatments realize their potential.

As is, between that and 3D printing of organs, you could see (healthy, independent) lifespans extend well beyond 100 years on average.

There is so much room for improvement is so many areas of medicine. We really know so little about our bodies. And the brain in particular. There are huge opportunities for breakthroughs, a GIANT amount of money to be made, and the prospect of saving your own (or a loved one's) life. Advances will come. They probably won't be owned by Google.

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
  • Live on minimum wage, earn on maximum
« Reply #102 on: April 13, 2015, 10:45:19 AM »

It's probably not different this time, companies are run by fallible humans.  It's tough to make predictions, especially about the future*.  Cyberdyne though, I'm not so sure about.  :)

* Yogi Bera

Funny Yogi quote!   It appears Standard oil (founded 1870) and the railroads have done pretty well.   I'm guessing anyone who owned and kept $10 worth of Standard Oil in 1870 would be worth millions today. 

So are you saying that Google is the standard oil or railroad of today?   I think there is some truth to that.   Google was founded in 1998, so only 83 years to go until age 100.    Even if Google just sticks to its knitting, it is hard to imagine a serious challenger to their model. 

Amazingly,  75% of the world population now has cell phones!   Wow.   About 2 billion of those are smart phone users of which Android dominates 81 percent of world smartphone market.   So in as little as 3 years we could see 6 billion people using a google product 10 times per day.   

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #103 on: April 13, 2015, 10:49:26 AM »

I know.  I meant "my money is on" as in I think that they could be a winner.  (I was also being a little facetious.)  They also make an OS for their boards.  And they just became the biggest selling UK computer manufacturer ever.  My point was, Apple people could eventually switch to Raspberry and then say, "We knew it was the future all along.  It won't fail."

http://techcrunch.com/2015/02/17/raspberry-pi-sales-pass-5-million/

Apple already "use" raspberry pi. It's just an arm chip on a board. That's what the iphone and ipad is. So not sure what you mean. And the Rpi OS is just an arm fork of debian.

Now people are speculating that Apple will switch from x86 to Arm for the mac as well, but I consider that rather unlikely. And if they do it won't be a bit deal since anyone who wants a real computer will have to go elsewhere (i.e. x86 PCs). Apple will just trade the professional customers for more casual customers. The professionals will still have to buy PCs, just somewhere else.

edit: I use the correct definition of PC; personal computer. A mac is a PC.

mrpercentage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #104 on: April 14, 2015, 09:24:48 AM »
1. Apple-- they are an unstoppable force. For the next 5 years at least. Apple watch is sold out-- proving the doubters wrong once again.
2. Disney-- they get their own outline.
    a. THEY OWN STAR WARS
    b. THEY OWN STAR WARS
    c. They own ESPN
    d. They are building a Disney land in China. China has a billion people. Disney land in China. Again in China.
    e. Every movie they have made still sells at full price. Jungle Book is $25 and they made that shit in the 60's. And people still buy it.
    f. They own ABC15
    g. Its up 13,676% from its opening price and its still going. I made 12.6% in one month. Last month if I remember right.

3. PAH because their CEO came out and said his stock was going to be $200. That took balls and Im betting on it. They have a cash flow model and that works.
4. Ford because despite popular opinion they have watched everyone else die and they are still here.
5. Lack of sleep has VOIDED this comment
6. Dreamworks-- they are an upcoming Disney
7. ESCA-- because they are the only publicly traded archery stock. They own Bear, and that is bad ass.

It doesn't take numbers to recognize greatness
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 09:46:57 AM by mrpercentage »

skyrefuge

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #105 on: April 14, 2015, 01:31:16 PM »
1. Apple-- they are an unstoppable force. For the next 5 years at least. Apple watch is sold out-- proving the doubters wrong once again.
    a. THEY OWN STAR WARS
    b. THEY OWN STAR WARS
    c. They own ESPN
    d. They are building a Disney land in China. China has a billion people. Disney land in China. Again in China.
    e. Every movie they have made still sells at full price. Jungle Book is $25 and they made that shit in the 60's. And people still buy it.
    f. They own ABC15
    g. Its up 13,676% from its opening price and its still going. I made 12.6% in one month. Last month if I remember right.

3. PAH because their CEO came out and said his stock was going to be $200. That took balls and Im betting on it. They have a cash flow model and that works.
4. Ford because despite popular opinion they have watched everyone else die and they are still here.
7. ESCA-- because they are the only publicly traded archery stock. They own Bear, and that is bad ass.

If this was intended as a satire of clueless armchair stock-pickers, then bravo!

If not, uh........

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #106 on: April 14, 2015, 02:11:59 PM »
Oh come on, point #5 was gold!

It worked so well it even made my cat rich.

I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #107 on: April 14, 2015, 02:13:42 PM »
    a. THEY OWN STAR WARS
    b. THEY OWN STAR WARS
    c. They own ESPN
    f. They own ABC15

If this was intended as a satire of clueless armchair stock-pickers, then bravo!

If not, uh........

Seems like as good a place to hang your hat as any other.   I like the Disney thinking in particular.   One often hears the word content thrown around and I assume Disney has content by the truckload. 

I'm not putting them down as owning the future but they sure have a heck of a franchise.

Chuck

• Bristles
« Reply #108 on: April 14, 2015, 03:57:29 PM »
Disney is an entertainment force. THE entertainment force. It isn't just Star Wars.

It's Pixar. It's Marvel. It's ESPN.

That, right there, is walking men (and many women) from cradle to grave with entertainment.

mrpercentage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #109 on: April 14, 2015, 05:29:40 PM »
I do use humor to make serious points because serious is just so boring.
Dont underestimate Star Wars with 3 new movies coming out and a butt load of toys. It's the #2 movie franchise of ALL TIME. It will pass James Bond in the next couple of years.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jakel11/the-highest-grossing-movie-franchises

mtnrider

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #110 on: April 14, 2015, 08:06:29 PM »

* Yogi Bera

Funny Yogi quote!   It appears Standard oil (founded 1870) and the railroads have done pretty well.   I'm guessing anyone who owned and kept $10 worth of Standard Oil in 1870 would be worth millions today. 

So are you saying that Google is the standard oil or railroad of today?   I think there is some truth to that.   Google was founded in 1998, so only 83 years to go until age 100.    Even if Google just sticks to its knitting, it is hard to imagine a serious challenger to their model. 

Amazingly,  75% of the world population now has cell phones!   Wow.   About 2 billion of those are smart phone users of which Android dominates 81 percent of world smartphone market.   So in as little as 3 years we could see 6 billion people using a google product 10 times per day.

I could imagine Google being the standard oil.  The railroad barons (plus banks and steel) colluded and practically owned the US until the Teddy Roosevelt busted up the trusts, so eventually a countervailing force arose.

But yeah, Google could do very well.  I doubt they'd own the future, but they're doing a great job getting us there.

Thedudeabides

• Stubble

theoverlook

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #112 on: April 16, 2015, 09:06:03 AM »
Even if Google just sticks to its knitting, it is hard to imagine a serious challenger to their model. 

I do love the use of that phrase in context.  Sticking to knitting.  Excellent.

malacca

• Bristles
« Reply #113 on: April 16, 2015, 10:18:55 AM »
APPLE
Apple is the best at making A LOT of money form whatever they do.

We already forgot about the iPod and how much it made. Sure, looks puny compared to iPhone, iPad, etc. but was the every of every tech company 10 years ago. TV. Cars. Health. Apple executes very well and focuses on return. Stock currently undervalued.

GOOGLE
Google has A LOT of talent. And they are bold but not crazy. Betting on the future require a bit of insanity. So far, Google has not been good at making money on their ventures - other than advertising.

ELON MUSK
Now this guy is absolutely insane. When he announced building rockets, Mars, blah, blah everyone wrote him off as a nut case.

Well, he has executed well. Who knew? Now he is into cars. And he actually makes money. Tesla valuation is nearing Ford and GM. What will happen when they start mass producing vehicles? Ever drive a Tesla? Take a test drive then make a judgement.

He also is huge in Solar with SolarCity.

Bold & Insane & Visionary & Great execution = Huge business.

FACEBOOK
Does anyone actually like Facebook? Nuff said.

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #114 on: April 16, 2015, 12:43:42 PM »
Even if Google just sticks to its knitting, it is hard to imagine a serious challenger to their model. 

I do love the use of that phrase in context.  Sticking to knitting.  Excellent.

W became curious if I used that idiom correctly in this context so I looked it up --  (I think I spent too much time on the grammer Nazi thread?)

stick to your knitting  ----

"if a person or company sticks to their knitting, they continue to do what they have always done instead of trying to do something they know very little about He believes the key to a company's success is to stick to its knitting rather than trying to diversify. "

I'll have to use that one more often.   Thanks

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #115 on: April 16, 2015, 01:14:54 PM »
Thanks for bringing Elon Musk into the conversation.  Apparently he is a genius in leveraging and executing.    He appears especially adept at leveraging Government money.   That is a good thing because "gimme a lever and I can move the world,"  and the US Government has lots of money that needs to be leveraged.   

But he may not be the right guy for AI according to this quote ----

"With artificial intelligence, we are summoning the demon," Musk said last week at the MIT Aeronautics and Astronautics Department's 2014 Centennial Symposium. "You know all those stories where there's the guy with the pentagram and the holy water and he's like... yeah, he's sure he can control the demon, [but] it doesn't work out."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IBM or GE or Cray or HP haven't had a lot of play yet on this thread.   IBM may positioned to develop AI given their super computing history. 

Largest Supercomputer Vendors

IBM 153  Cray Inc. 62 HP 179 (units in service)

They appear to have over 80% of the supercomputing market.   

Let's not forget the Chinese either.   They are like a USA government except more focused and dedicated to owning the future.  They also are skilled at stealing everyone else's work.    My guess would be that there are well over 100K top Chinese tech scientists dedicated to AI.    That is kinda scary.  So let's say, if the Chinese are 1% at AI,  according to exponential progress norms,  they are only 7 years from AI.   (this unfriendly foreign control may be why Musk and Gates are leery of AI?)

A simple command of "AI -- Please shut down all computer systems, internet, radio and power in the US"  might possibly be executed in mere hours.   

brooklynguy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #116 on: April 16, 2015, 01:32:59 PM »
W became curious if I used that idiom correctly in this context so I looked it up

As long as we're on the topic of use of language, I have to ask:  was the "W" a typo or a way of referring to yourself in the third person?  "W" is pretty far from "I" on the keyboard...

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #117 on: April 16, 2015, 05:16:36 PM »
W became curious if I used that idiom correctly in this context so I looked it up

As long as we're on the topic of use of language, I have to ask:  was the "W" a typo or a way of referring to yourself in the third person?  "W" is pretty far from "I" on the keyboard...
. I have no idea?  I like the third person concept though.   Perhaps I am developing a weird slice of ego from spending too much time on this forum?     I'll have to explore that when our friends visit this weekend.   "W thinks I should'nt have another beer.  But screw W,   I'm having one anyway"

Magrien3

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #118 on: April 17, 2015, 10:47:32 AM »
I think AI is fascinating so I just wanted to post this article. It's a really well done piece covering a lot of the issues surrounding AI.

http://waitbutwhy.com/2015/01/artificial-intelligence-revolution-1.html

My favorite facet of AI, and I can't remember if it is from this article or a different one, is that we do not really understand what human intelligence is or how it works, so it is almost impossible to say how close or far we are from recreating it in a machine.

brooklynguy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #119 on: April 17, 2015, 10:59:21 AM »
I think AI is fascinating so I just wanted to post this article. It's a really well done piece covering a lot of the issues surrounding AI.

http://waitbutwhy.com/2015/01/artificial-intelligence-revolution-1.html

I was going to post a sardonic reply, but I just don't have the heart.  Scroll up a bit and you will see this article has already been posted and discussed in a fair amount of detail in this very thread.  We are all guilty of the minor sin of failing to read the entirety of tome-length threads before posting in them, but before posting something like that it's always a good idea to do a cursory check to see if someone else has beaten you to it :-)  Welcome to the forums!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #120 on: April 17, 2015, 11:05:21 AM »
Thanks for the post Magrien, that is a great link!
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Magrien3

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #121 on: April 17, 2015, 11:30:16 AM »
So it was. Sorry brooklynguy, I guess reading really isn't what it used to be.

http://www.themorningnews.org/article/binge-reading-disorder?utm_source=nextdraft&utm_medium=email

Sent from my iPhone

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #122 on: April 17, 2015, 11:59:40 AM »

http://www.themorningnews.org/article/binge-reading-disorder?utm_source=nextdraft&utm_medium=email

Sent from my iPhone

Now that is a nice link.  But crap now I have a new disorder to ad to my litany of diagnosable issues.   

Thedudeabides

• Stubble
« Reply #123 on: April 17, 2015, 04:27:04 PM »

Now that is a nice link.  But crap now I have a new disorder to ad to my litany of diagnosable issues.

Ha! You crack me up Bob.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #124 on: April 17, 2015, 04:28:03 PM »

Sent from my iPhone

Don't worry; according to that article you'll probably forget that you read about it at all by the end of the day.  :)

brooklynguy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #125 on: April 18, 2015, 06:26:01 AM »

That article was great, and very appropriate for this thread -- what are the chances the population will wake up en masse to the consequences our internet- and smart phone-induced binge-reading and multi-tasking proclivities are having on our collective mental well-being and therefore abandon our internet overusage in favor of paper books and time for quiet reflection, thereby denying Google ownership of the future?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #126 on: April 18, 2015, 07:51:35 AM »

That article was great, and very appropriate for this thread -- what are the chances the population will wake up en masse to the consequences our internet- and smart phone-induced binge-reading and multi-tasking proclivities are having on our collective mental well-being and therefore abandon our internet overusage in favor of paper books and time for quiet reflection, thereby denying Google ownership of the future?

Is there a number lower than nil?