Author Topic: Dividend Timing  (Read 4218 times)

cbr shadow

• Bristles
Dividend Timing
« on: January 24, 2013, 07:36:39 AM »
A friend of mine asked me an investing question that I'm not able to answer, and googling an answer was more difficult than I thought it would be.
He bought some shares in a single company (SB) and is wondering if he's going to get a dividend for his shares on the date they list as the dividend payout date.  How long do you have to have the shares before that date to recieve a dividend?
His main question is:  If I purchase a bunch of shares the day before the payout, will I get a dividend?

Thanks

Jack

• Magnum Stache
Re: Dividend Timing
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 07:42:26 AM »
I don't know about the mechanics of the timing, but from what I've read it doesn't matter anyway because the dividend will be priced into the stock anyway. In other words, the value of the stock drops by an amount equal to the dividend when it's issued anyway, so the overall value of the investment is the same whether you buy immediately before or immediately after.

fiveoh

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 07:46:07 AM »
A friend of mine asked me an investing question that I'm not able to answer, and googling an answer was more difficult than I thought it would be.
He bought some shares in a single company (SB) and is wondering if he's going to get a dividend for his shares on the date they list as the dividend payout date.  How long do you have to have the shares before that date to recieve a dividend?
His main question is:  If I purchase a bunch of shares the day before the payout, will I get a dividend?

Thanks

You have to own the shares on the ex dividend date which is usually a few weeks or a month before the payout date.  So no he will probably not receive it if he buys the day before the payout date.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 08:47:56 AM »
fiveoh (sounds like:
)
has it.

Google "ex dividend date"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ex-dividend_date
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

nofool

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 10:50:45 AM »
Yup, what fiveoh said. I look up dividends on Bloomberg at work, but each company will generally have investor relations news on their site.

There are 3 different dates that are relevant to dividends:
1. Announcement/declaration date - when the company lets the public know that they'll be issuing a dividend
2. The ex-date - the date that determines who gets the dividend. all shareholders on ex-date receive the dividend. If you sell your shares after ex-date, you're still entitled to the dividend. If you sell the day before ex-date, you don't get the dividend. If your friend bought shares after ex-date, he doesn't receive the div, but the share price should be adjusted to account for it (should decrease by the amount of the dividend).
3. The payout date - the date when cash actually moves from the company to investors.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 10:54:18 AM by nofool »

fiveoh

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 11:32:15 AM »
fiveoh (sounds like:
)
has it.

Google "ex dividend date"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ex-dividend_date

LOL thats the first time i've gotten that one.  Usually people ask if im a cop.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!