Author Topic: Did you know?  (Read 3884 times)

TheAnonOne

• Handlebar Stache
Did you know?
« on: July 11, 2016, 10:03:47 AM »
The market hit an all time high today... (sp500)

Carry on...

radram

• Pencil Stache
Re: Did you know?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2016, 10:35:20 AM »
Not trying to be a jerk, but an overall yawn for me in the grand scheme of things.

Other points to note:

Since 1900, the S&P 500  Index has been close to (within 5%) of its prior peak almost half the time. 

After surpassing the 2007 peak for the first time in March 2013, the S&P 500 has made 108 records in this bull market.

Since 1946, the gauge spent some part of 37 calendar years at levels that exceeded any past peak, or 53 percent of the total.

These facts all lead to the same conclusion for me.  Carry on indeed.  Thank you for inspiring me to look these up.  Enjoy your day.

Radram

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2016, 11:05:25 AM »
I'm kind of sad about that.  I'm still working so it just means my money is not going to go as far when invested.  Plus, I think the market's a  bit inflated.  It's going to stay that way, too, until interest rates go back to normal :(

TheAnonOne

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2016, 11:19:23 AM »
Not trying to be a jerk, but an overall yawn for me in the grand scheme of things.

Other points to note:

Since 1900, the S&P 500  Index has been close to (within 5%) of its prior peak almost half the time. 

After surpassing the 2007 peak for the first time in March 2013, the S&P 500 has made 108 records in this bull market.

Since 1946, the gauge spent some part of 37 calendar years at levels that exceeded any past peak, or 53 percent of the total.

These facts all lead to the same conclusion for me.  Carry on indeed.  Thank you for inspiring me to look these up.  Enjoy your day.

Radram

Cool, stats! Very interesting indeed.

I just was passing a tv with the news on that mentioned the record high. It has not crossed this point since may 2015, so... some 14-16 months ago. Seemed like an interesting spot to be in, considering just two weeks ago, the brexit was going to end the world. :)

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2016, 11:29:17 AM »
Sell! Sell! Sell!

MustacheAndaHalf

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2016, 11:54:43 AM »
The market hit an all time high today... (sp500)
It made me happy to see the press quoting the S&P 500 instead of the DJIA ("the Dow").  And actually, the DJIA can never include companies like Google or Berkshire Hathaway that have decided not to split their stock.  Since DJIA is ranked entirely on stock price, Berkshire would instantly be 99.9% of the index if it was included.  Which just goes to show how arbitrary the DJIA pricing can be versus the market-cap weighted S&P 500.

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2016, 08:53:54 AM »
The DJIA is basically useless except for historians studying the early years of the US industrial revolution and for spotting if a stock pundit is an idiot.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2016, 10:56:08 AM »
The DJIA is basically useless except for historians studying the early years of the US industrial revolution and for spotting if a stock pundit is an idiot.

+1.  When I first started figuring this stock market thing out I would look at the Dow.  As I learned more I shifted more and more to the S&P 500.  Now I have to stop and think when I hear a number for the DJIA.

And of course watching the market is actually counter-productive.  I just do it purely for entertainment value. 

cheapass

• Pencil Stache
  • On track for FIRE @ 40
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2016, 12:04:23 PM »
Did you know that due to inflation, the stock market should be hitting all-time highs repeatedly until the end of time?

Also in the "Not News" category - another movie blockbuster breaks box office records! Wow, movies just keep getting better and better!

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2016, 08:54:22 PM »
Did you know that due to inflation, the stock market should be hitting all-time highs repeatedly until the end of time?
Which is why you should only look at stock market graphs on a log scale

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!