Author Topic: DFA Portfolio 90 or move to Betterment?  (Read 2809 times)

Lancebaby

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
DFA Portfolio 90 or move to Betterment?
« on: November 08, 2016, 02:32:36 PM »
Hello.  I have used DFA funds thru an advisor for the last 15 years or so and been generally happy.  I have been in the Portfolio 90 the entire time (you can see it and info/returns/etc here: https://www.ifa.com/portfolios/90/#2).  The vast majority of my taxable investments are in DFA Port 90 but recently I have been investing some in Betterment.

My question is not so much a DFA vs Betterment (though that is part of it) but more of a Portfolio 90 vs Betterment "Build Wealth" portfolio and where I should be . . .I am able to retire now but enjoy what I am doing and am generally paid well so. .as long as it lasts I'll stay. When I do leave this will be the money I draw from first. . so, is something like a Port 90 (90% stocks) appropriate?  The Betterment "Build Wealth" is 83% stocks. .

So. . do I stay with DFA 90, move to a more balanced portfolio (DFA 80, 70, 60, etc) or move to something like a Betterment where I will pay lower fees and it is much easier to adjust portfolios and balance.

Thanks

AdrianC

• Handlebar Stache
Re: DFA Portfolio 90 or move to Betterment?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2016, 02:55:02 PM »
You'll pay even lower fees if you just do it yourself. And if you've been 90% stocks for 15 years you've demonstrated the ability to ride out the ups and downs of the market.

Why not just open an account at Vanguard and pick your own?

By the way, what is the advisor fee at IFA?

Lancebaby

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2016, 03:16:57 PM »
IFA fee is .25 percent.

AdrianC

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2016, 07:40:00 PM »
That's pretty cheap. Betterment is .15% iirc.

If you're going with an advisor I'd think that 0.1% is worth it to get access to DFA. With Betterment you're getting ETFs that anyone can buy.

Is it difficult to change your allocation with IFA? I don't invest with them. I have watched a few of their videos and am on their email list. They seem to know what they're about.

Lancebaby

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2016, 07:20:44 AM »
No, it is not difficult. . you could say it is even easier than Betterment etc. . .you can just send them an email and tell them what you want and they execute it.  My advisor would generally call to confirm and discuss what change I am making, etc. There is human interaction which probably prevents panic buying/selling.. .

Another thing that they have done is looked at the options in my 401K and built a portfolio using the funds that are available that mimics one of the DFA Portfolios.  True, I could do that myself but another set of eyes/brains is helpful.

AdrianC

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2016, 08:42:12 AM »
What is the Betterment "Build Wealth" portfolio? I can't find it.

Lancebaby

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2016, 09:11:49 AM »
here it is:

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!