Author Topic: DeGiro dividends  (Read 11186 times)

settlement

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
DeGiro dividends
« on: July 09, 2016, 05:18:01 AM »
Hi,

I have ETfs with the online broker degiro. How often can I expect dividends? Should it tell me on the website?

Heckler

• Handlebar Stache
Re: DeGiro dividends
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2016, 06:39:27 AM »
You are best off going to the website of the companies website whose ETFs you buy.  Ie Vanguard or Ishares

settlement

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2016, 08:06:42 AM »
I took a good long look at the MSCI world UCITS ETF page and there are several dates mentioned, none of which I received dividends on. I have only held them for 11 months now, not a full year, maybe that's why?

capitalninja

• Stubble
  • Know what the other guy is making on the deal...
    • Entrepreneur, Investor, Life Advice
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2016, 08:14:44 AM »
Nasdaq's dividend history tool is pretty good for getting an idea of when you can expect dividends.

http://www.nasdaq.com/symbol/vti/dividend-history

Simply enter the ticker symbol for the ETF that you're interested in and it'll provide you with previous dividend dates and payments. Assuming that the upcoming dividend has been declared, it will list the upcoming dividend and amount.

Hope this helps.

settlement

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2016, 09:36:12 AM »
Thanks, link was helpful. Says dividends were paid december 2015 and june 2016. I have no record of this in my bank account or on degiro. Is this because it's an accumulating fund?

capitalninja

• Stubble
  • Know what the other guy is making on the deal...
    • Entrepreneur, Investor, Life Advice
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2016, 09:54:17 AM »
Can you check the settings for your DeGiro account and see if dividend reinvestment is enabled? If that's the case, the money that paid in dividends would automatically be used to purchase additional (fractional) shares. So if you had 100 shares of some ETF, you might have 102.42 shares after dividend reinvestment.

Look at the transaction history for the ETF. You should be able to see if dividends were reinvested there.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2016, 01:19:35 AM »
Thanks, link was helpful. Says dividends were paid december 2015 and june 2016. I have no record of this in my bank account or on degiro. Is this because it's an accumulating fund?

There definitely should be a record of it, either of the dividends paid out (into your bank, or into your DeGiro account, or if they're reinvested a record of the dividend being used to purchase (likely a fraction of a) share(s).  Ask their customer support if you can't find it.

Why are you using this broker?
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

settlement

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2016, 07:24:39 AM »

There definitely should be a record of it, either of the dividends paid out (into your bank, or into your DeGiro account, or if they're reinvested a record of the dividend being used to purchase (likely a fraction of a) share(s).  Ask their customer support if you can't find it.

I am using them because they are very cheap, no annual or monthly fees

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2016, 10:20:11 AM »

What brokers charge annual or monthly fees?

What's their cost per trade?  What's the advantage of them versus purchasing directly via, say, Vanguard?
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

settlement

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2016, 10:13:32 PM »

What brokers charge annual or monthly fees?
What's their cost per trade?  What's the advantage of them versus purchasing directly via, say, Vanguard?

Things are a little different in Ireland, we do not have the wealth of brokers available to us that US citizens have. Investing with vanguard is suboptimal for Irish citizens. To be completely honest I don't understand the reasons why, but it's the conclusion I have drawn from speaking with some informed europeans on several finance sites online.

Degiro charges about €2 per trade. I bought over €30k worth of stocks with them last year and only paid €16 all year.

Having spoken to them about my ETF dividend, it seems as it is an accumulating ETF, the dividend is reflected in the value of the ETF

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2016, 11:13:44 PM »
Having spoken to them about my ETF dividend, it seems as it is an accumulating ETF, the dividend is reflected in the value of the ETF

Yes, the dividend should repurchase more shares of it for you, thus the value of it goes up due to that (aside from the value of it rising itself--i.e. your account value would go up even if one "share" of that ETF was flat in value), but it should still show you somewhere the dividend purchase.