Author Topic: Cutoff point to sell a poorly allocated investment (commissions)  (Read 1354 times)

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
Cutoff point to sell a poorly allocated investment (commissions)
« on: February 23, 2015, 07:18:31 AM »
I transferred some money and investments from an account my wife had before we were married into our joint investment account because the old account started charging fees. These were investments her father had made in her name when she was a minor. So now we have three individual stock holdings between $900 and $3000 and $8000 in a dividend fund with a GER of 0.28%, so not terrible.

We also have some token quantities of individual stocks that I sold to put in SCHB past a dividend ex-date, so the dividends got reinvested and we now have 2.8 shares (not a typo) of Kinder Morgan, 5.4 of Intel, etc.

Schwab charges an $8.95 commission on individual stock transactions. Obviously the under-5-share holdings aren't worth selling, but it seems like the other ones are. Am I missing anything?

hodedofome

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Cutoff point to sell a poorly allocated investment (commissions)
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 07:57:08 AM »
I ended up just selling all stocks that I was holding from back in the day when I had no clue what I was doing. I didn't care if I lost money from commissions, I just wanted it off my screen and out of my life. It was a good feeling.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
Re: Cutoff point to sell a poorly allocated investment (commissions)
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 01:49:34 PM »
I own about $15 worth of Apple in my Sharebuilder account because I attempted to sell my entire stake but missed a dividend reinvestment or something. As long as there aren't any fees on the account, it doesn't hurt to leave it there, I guess. Maybe one day it will have appreciated enough to be worth the commission to sell...