Author Topic: Credit card balance transfer to invest  (Read 3771 times)

YoungStache

• Stubble
Credit card balance transfer to invest
« on: April 19, 2017, 05:27:38 PM »
I received a balance transfer offer in the mail for a 1% fee, 0% APR until July 2018. I was thinking of depositing the credit into my bank account and buying (and holding) index funds with it, in the amount of 10K - 20K. I have no debt, and have the income to pay off the balance transfer before the promotional period ends.

What do you guys think?

Put in 20K right away? Or put in 10K and save 10K as a hedge and dump it in if the market drops? VTSAX?

Hargrove

• Pencil Stache
Re: Credit card balance transfer to invest
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 05:48:21 PM »
Eh, I am getting offers that are this sweet. The problem is that the risk is not worth the reward.

If the market goes up, you win. If it goes down, you lose. When people say "over time it goes up," they mean decades (usually 30-year spans, here).

Over a 30-year horizon, this sort of bet is "as safe a gamble as we can guess" when it comes to stock investing.

Over a 1-year horizon, especially at a known high in the markets, speculating on a base of -1% is not a wise thing to do.

Even if you win the gamble, you throw a blight on your credit report for what amounts to a few hundred dollars in gains (with your amount, maybe you could clear 1k, but you could also lose it). Since, in a single year, the stock market can fluctuate significantly up or down, this is not a great idea. Your odds of gain are slightly higher than of loss, but not overwhelmingly higher. If anything happens to you in the interim before June 2018 that prevents you from paying 100% by then, you are set with a surely toxic debt with a skyscraping APR. Two or three weekend shifts or four account opening bonuses will probably get you the same returns with virtually no risk.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 05:52:44 PM by Hargrove »

josh4trunks

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 06:14:17 PM »
I have done this twice now.

Pull out as much as possible (in my cases I did it with no fee), make a spreadsheet to make sure I will produce the income to pay back before introductory rate changes.
But I am using the money to pay off student loans, which have a guaranteed rate of return, in my case around 4% = [ 6-7% x (1 - tax rate) ].

Telecaster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 06:17:42 PM »
Terrible idea.  The market could easily be down 20% or more in July 2018. 

YoungStache

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2017, 06:26:19 PM »
Good points! But if the market goes down within the eligibility period for activating the offer then it's a different story :)

Telecaster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2017, 06:38:36 PM »
No, it is the same story, just the amount of tragedy is different.  The market could go down.  And then could continue on down.   You have a time bomb set to explode on July 2018.  The risk of that bomb going off dwarfs any reward you think you might get.  Don't do this, don't even think about it. 

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2017, 07:32:46 AM »
There are so many of these "borrow to invest" posts lately that I've bookmarked this thread over from bogleheads.

If you can read through this thread and still want to do your plan, go for it!

https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5934

NESailor

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2017, 10:28:09 AM »
There are so many of these "borrow to invest" posts lately that I've bookmarked this thread over from bogleheads.

If you can read through this thread and still want to do your plan, go for it!

https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5934

Reading that thread in its entirety was a glorious way to spend 3 work days last year :D.  The guy is obviously quite brilliant and still he ended up what...quarter million in the hole?  Excellent thread precisely for that reason.  And the fact that he kept updating everyone even as the financial world was collapsing around (with) him.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2017, 11:24:39 AM »
I've seen recent CDs at 1.75%. If you could get 1 year CDs at that rate, it'd be worth it. Barely.

If you want easy money, find one of the many bank account bonuses. Wells Fargo has/had a $250 bonus after using your debit card 10 times. Easy.

Proud Foot

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2017, 11:55:55 AM »
I received a balance transfer offer in the mail for a 1% fee, 0% APR until July 2018. I was thinking of depositing the credit into my bank account and buying (and holding) index funds with it, in the amount of 10K - 20K. I have no debt, and have the income to pay off the balance transfer before the promotional period ends.

What do you guys think?

Put in 20K right away? Or put in 10K and save 10K as a hedge and dump it in if the market drops? VTSAX?

Personally, no I would not do it.  There is too much risk involved for only a net gain of approximately $1,500 (using a straight 7% growth rate for 15 months).  The best case scenario involve positive growth and you keeping your job through the whole period while the worst would be a market crash while also losing your job before paying off the promotion balance.  This then means you either sell off investments at a loss to pay off the remaining balance or the remaining balance becomes subject to a high interest rate.  To me the risk of a worst case scenario far outweighs the benefit of the best case scenario. 

surfhb

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2017, 04:32:37 PM »
2002/2008....here we come

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!