Author Topic: Vanguard int'l (nonUS, nonCanada)  (Read 2041 times)

scrubbyfish

Vanguard int'l (nonUS, nonCanada)
« on: July 01, 2016, 10:12:47 AM »
Someone showed me a page once, and I can't find it...

I'm looking for the Vanguard ETF for "rest of world" equities, the equivalent of:

the nonUS (rest of world) part of VXC
NBC839

I was required to have the higher-cost NBC839 per agency rules, but am now permitted to change that out, and I'm already higher in US equity than my goal. Trying to get "rest of world" into the Vanguard ETFs.

Quinn

Re: Vanguard int'l (nonUS, nonCanada)
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2016, 10:24:41 AM »
Is it VIU? It only has developed markets though, so you won't get emerging markets.

scrubbyfish

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2016, 10:40:50 AM »
Thanks, acorn!

The page I was once shown was like a directory of all Vanguard ETFs, by region or something, so not any one fund.

The one you posted is the kind of fund I'm looking for, yes. Is there one that includes emerging markets?

Heckler

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2016, 10:45:20 AM »
I use XEF instead of the vanguard version for the following reasons.

http://canadiancouchpotato.com/2014/09/12/foreign-withholding-taxes-in-international-equity-etfs/

scrubbyfish

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2016, 02:08:41 PM »
Thanks very much, Heckler. I followed your link this morning, and have pondered as I went about my day. The option of XEF is very helpful.

Because of agency stipulations, I don't get to follow the CCP model exactly, and have to do some convoluted workarounds. Your tip led me to the CCP blurb, which linked me to the Canadian Portfolio Manager models using other funds.

This is great, as now I can rearrange things to match both my needs and the agencies' needs while doing less math each time. Key was to separate my US fund from international so that I can see at quick glance what I have in each, and not get overly weighted in one or the other when the agencies do their thing. (Agency's middle man doesn't recognize that 54% of VXC is US.)

tyir

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2016, 10:52:32 PM »
Another option is to convert from C$ to USD$ and buy VXUS. It includes a bit of canada but it isn't very substantial.

scrubbyfish

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2016, 11:28:51 PM »
Thanks, tyir :)