Author Topic: Converting normal brokerage into an IRA  (Read 2174 times)

westcl2

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Converting normal brokerage into an IRA
« on: September 18, 2015, 10:11:36 AM »
So I have a normal brokerage account w/ ~20k in stocks.  I want to convert this over to some form of IRA and want advice on which would be better for tax purposes. 

Normal marginal bracket 25%

I recently swapped my stocks over from a personal holding to a vanguard brokerage account (not sure if this alters capital gains timing).  Assuming that it doesn't I've held these stocks for quite a while and they all qualify for capital gains rates.

Right now I have a roth IRA and thinking I can sell off shares and make my annual contribution for the next couple years from this brokerage fund at cap gains rate seems like about of a tax scenario I can imagine.  also by putting the funds in my roth I can contribute to the preferred shares vanguard indexes instead of starting at the higher expense ratio ones (minor but why not?)

But I was curious if there was an argument to just throw it in a traditional IRA

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Converting normal brokerage into an IRA
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2015, 10:38:51 AM »

westcl2

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2015, 11:22:08 AM »
it kind of covers what I was looking for....most everything in that appeared to me as contributions from income.  I'm looking to see if it's beneficial to sell off a brokerage account to fund a traditional ira

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2015, 11:49:26 AM »
I'm looking to see if it's beneficial to sell off a brokerage account to fund a traditional ira
If you can fund it from W-2 income, you can leave the brokerage money invested and not pay the capital gains tax that would be due if you sell.

Either way there is a $5500 deduction (assuming you qualify).  Funded from income there is no other tax, but funded from stock sale you pay capital gains tax.

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2015, 03:47:23 PM »
Yeah, it's better to contribute out of your paychecks if you can afford to do that. Otherwise selling stocks to fund an IRA is not a bad idea at all. If you're in the 25% bracket I would suggest a traditional IRA if you qualify to make deductible contributions.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!