Author Topic: Company's 401k - should I change anything?  (Read 1832 times)

Lis

• Pencil Stache
Company's 401k - should I change anything?
« on: October 02, 2014, 08:26:40 AM »
Right now, I have 100% of my contributions going to Fidelity's FA FREEDOM 2055 A Investment. I didn't know what I was doing when I first signed up, other than I should contribute at least to get my company's match. Here's the breakdown...

54.11%   Domestic Stock
27.46%   Foreign Stock
8.62%   Bonds
6.44%   Other
3.37%   Short Term

I thought the 2055 would be fairly risky considering the retirement age is pretty far away, but it's categorizing itself at medium risk. At my young age (I'm 24), I wouldn't mind being riskier. What do you recommend? Should I stick with it, put some of my contributions to another fund, switch over entirely...? If needed, I can provide a list of what's available to me.

Melf

• Stubble
Re: Company's 401k - should I change anything?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2014, 08:47:42 AM »
You may as well go ahead and list the other investment options you have in your 401k so that some of these guys can provide some advice.  Your current fund allocation may not be too bad if the expense ratio isn't to high.  Sometimes you just have to live with what they offer you.

Lis

• Pencil Stache
Re: Company's 401k - should I change anything?
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 09:16:29 AM »
I've attached an excel with everything available, including the fees I'd pay (second tab). To be 100% honest, I don't know what a lot of it means (what's the difference between small, mid, and large cap?). We're a small company that outsources pretty much everything, and our Fidelity guy who came in a few months ago was very smarmy and unapproachable. Any advice would be super helpful!

Some background info on me if necessary... I'm 24, only been eligible for the 401k for a little over a year. Our company's policy is a bit strange. As long as we're contributing 2.67%, we'll receive an 8% match in December (must be employed through the month of December to receive this). I'm currently contributing 5%. Rapidly paying of a student loan with 6.75% interest with roughly 25% of my income and saving (high interest savings account) another 10%. Currently, this is the only investment I have, but will be opening up and maxing out a Roth IRA as soon as I pay off my student loan.